Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Domain Penalty

I am beginning to think Google has updated their algorithm to put more emphasis on the length of time a domain has been active. Some of the newer sites I've been working on are not responding in the typical fashion. In fact, they have fallen dramatically recently.

Thoughts?

Well It took a week for my main project to get indexed,
    <<<mydomain>>>
    I have had the domain for a month tho..
    Make sure you submit it manually to Google and other popular Search engine and try get a few link backs.
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 03-23-2008 at 09:10 AM. Reason: URL not needed

There is no new domain penalty, now more than ever freshness is important and new content is ranking faster.

Quote Originally Posted by 1boss1 View Post
    There is no new domain penalty, now more than ever freshness is important and new content is ranking faster.
    Agreed. It's in Google's best interest to get to the new content as soon as possible.
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

How old are the domains?

Quote Originally Posted by DanWallace View Post
    I am beginning to think Google has updated their algorithm to put more emphasis on the length of time a domain has been active. Some of the newer sites I've been working on are not responding in the typical fashion. In fact, they have fallen dramatically recently.

Thoughts?
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

one of my sites is getting picked up relatively quickly, less than a week old.

bug i've been working really hard at this one.

I don't think there is a domain penalty.

I don't think there is a domain penalty also. I just registered a new domain on March 7th and its listed in Google already. Another domain I just started to use was March 5th and its on Google also.

Sure you can get indexed very quickly and start ranking in just a few days. Google is notorious in giving a 2-3 week boost to new pages/websites.

Also it is really about the age an types of back links acquired in you domains first few months of existence. If you have a solid marketing plan that details how to get relevant links your new website will enjoy ranking success right off the bat.
    Jaan Kanellis | iNET Interactive

Google love new content and thats why google rank new sites and new pages high up in search results, but only for few days.

This is what people call New Content Boost. After few days, such sites or pages lose ranking or totally vanish from search results.

This is something I would not agree to nor there is no official news from Google and being an SEO - this is untrue.

What according to google is illegal is to apply black hat SEO and paid links. These are two major things to avoid in order to safe your *** from being penalized.

Just follow their TOS and you are good to go. One of my website got PR3 in a month just to give you a proof.
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

Domain Aging

Domain age, that is, how long the domain has been registered, does play a part in the ranking. I learned this from my personal experience. When I started my website, the ranking was on page 34. After 6 months or so, without any updates, it shoots up to page 5.

My personal experience and research tells me

1. Google likes fresh content on old domain. 1 year-old domain vs 2 year-old is not much different. But, 1 month vs 1 year, the younger domain got penalty. Everytime i updates the content of my website, the ranking shoot up 3 - 10 positions for 2 weeks or so, then drop back to original position.

2. Domain registration for more than 1 year gets higher ranking. Google seems to think if you care to register your domain for 5 years, you seem like serious in this business

If this is true " old better than younger",then ONLY older domains would show up in the top pages of google for any search.

I am not too sure this is so.

What is the domain name for your PR3 site in just a month?

Quote Originally Posted by Zafar Ahmed View Post
    Just follow their TOS and you are good to go. One of my website got PR3 in a month just to give you a proof.

It's also possible that the site the OP was referring to is just experiencing the sandbox effect as he mentioned them to just being new....
    OneIMS.com - Internet Marketing and SEO

If you doubt that new domains are not ranking quickly ( note that I did not say indexed) register a brand new domain add good content, throw links at it and see where you are after a month.

Now find yourself a nice old (2003 vintage say)domain and buy it, but keep it registered in the same names, then 301 that old domain to your new and see what happens to your rankings.
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London

Mel: Shhhhhh
    William Cross
    Don Halbert *play site*
    william@seofox.com

Quote Originally Posted by hkloo View Post
    Domain age, that is, how long the domain has been registered, does play a part in the ranking. I learned this from my personal experience. When I started my website, the ranking was on page 34. After 6 months or so, without any updates, it shoots up to page 5.

My personal experience and research tells me
    How did you conclude this had anything to do with the age of your domain, and didn't occur because of an algorithm change?

Google does have a Patent on the use of historical data and mentions the age of backlinks as well as the length of registration for scoring, but that doesn't mean it's actively being used.

I have registered dozens of domains for 10 Years after their first year of registration was up, and have not noticed any positive effect in Google on all the keywords i track. Some up, some down but all within the range of normal daily flux.

Actually Microsoft just received a Patent a few days ago based on "Ranking domains using domain maturity". http://www.seobythesea.com/?p=1038

Get a few back links and the new domains are being indexed as quickly as ever and if not, then get a few more back links. It’s been my experience that Google does give a short pop in the rankings to anything newsworthy such as a new website or a hot piece of news and once the news value is over then the page will drop in the rankings. Of course older sites still receive preferential treatment in the big picture.

I heard it takes 2 years for a domain name to "get trusted" by google, in other words to get the trust factor where they give you a good position.
    Visit today: PHP and Design Talk, Tutorials & Discussion
    http://www.goodphptutorials.com/

If that were the case it would be a lot harder to hit #1 listings in less time than that.. And many of us do it on a regular basis..

A little age always helps, but it's not a factor that can't be overcome with other techniques..
    Steve
    Metal Monster Marketing : Internet Marketing

I heard it takes 2 years for a domain name to "get trusted" by google,
    How it is? Maybe get out of sandbox? Or get indexed?
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

backlinks then content gets you rank not age...

Quote Originally Posted by DanWallace View Post

Thoughts?
    Yes, I am having the same experience with PR0 clients..and new domain names.. Domain aging is getting more important now...

24. I agree that if the site is new and it got to top positions pretty quickly, now it can be in a sandbox. The other thing is- you can be in the supplemental index in case google found the duplicated content on your website. You could have also updated some of the info on your website, even the title update can cause your website being far away from the first serps. I'd suggest to buy some analytic tool for your website, this way you'll be able to track your daily positions for different keywords and different search engines and you will be able to track how this or that update influences your website positions.

web ceo
    free version

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast