MySQL remote connections

Hello,

I'd like to know your opinions on this matter. What are the risks in allowing MySQL remote connections? I've met a few people who think it is a large security risk, and some who don't think it is much of a risk at all.

I do have a few customers who like to connect remotely, so I don't want to disable it without good reason.

Further, is it possible to enable only certain IP addresses to connect remotely? I'm using CPanel 10.1.0.

Thanks for any comments on this.

This is possible, all you should need to do is login to phpMyAdmin as your MySQL root user. Go to the "mysql" database and browse the user table. Find the entry for the user you want to allow remote access and duplicate it (with the exception of the host column). All you need to do is change the host column to match their IP address and then reload MySQL.

That should do it .

Generally, Mysql have their own host checking rules as well as a relatively robust permissioning framework (on top of login/password), the user must be additionally granted permissions to access to a certain db before they can access it. So I would say it's no different from having a FTP server which is even far less secure.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

I see. Thank you for your replies.

You can do this in CPanel under the MySQL area, see "Access Hosts:"

--
    Damian

Does networking in my.cnf have to be enabled for this to be configured?

By default, Mysql listens on port 3306. As long as your firewall allows it, you should be able to access it remotely.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••