Accepting card payments and also getting some commision

Hi
    I host a CMS system for website creation and I'm currently adding in the ability for hotels to take bookings through the site.

I'm looking into ways to take payments through a payment gateway service.

I was wondering if it is possible with any of the payment services to gain commision from every order placed through our hosted sites.

e.g. someone like AlertPay charge 2.5% + 0.25 per transaction.
    I'm wondering if there are any services where in the example above I could add an extra 1% onto those charges for reselling their services so I'm earning for every booking through the site.

I'm new to all the payment processing site (we've just used paypal buttons before), but would love it if such a service was possible as it would reduce the amount I could charge each month for running the service, but gain income through bookings made.

I'm based in the UK if that makes any difference.

Hey Andrew, thanks for posting.

If your target client market is hotels that could actually be a bit tricky. Hotel room bookings involve "future delivery of good or services" which is generally going to be classified as high risk and not an accepted business type for many payment solutions. From there other factors could hurt the ease of use / set up - like where the company that owns the hotel is located, competing offers from their current 'face to face' payment solution providers and so on.

Your best bet is likely to go with some company like Moneybookers who has a wide range of payment options and accepts a variety of business types. I say 'like' MB because I really have no idea if they even have an affiliate program anymore or if hotel industry is something they work with (there's plenty of publicly available info on them if you look for it)

Other common scenarios might be:

-all hotel operators are in the US, and you partner with some MSP / ISO company, who sets up each individual hotel with their own Merchant account (and always with payment gateway software that is plug and play with your CMS system), and pays you residual commission based on % and some revenue share model you set with them before hand.

-eWallet company like MB or I think I was looking at OKPay a few weeks ago - and will mention them now just for an example of how this sometimes works - not only do they pay you some ridiculously small % of each transaction a Merchant receives, but they pay you on one or two levels of referred wallet users too! i.e. Merchant refers customer to X wallet system, customer signs up, pays with wallet at un-related Merchant site, and you still earn some teeny commission, but then you also earn some teeny commission if that user refers another user and so on and so on (usually capped out at one or two levels though)

-IPSP set up, you get your own company set up like Alertpay, add whatever % fees you want, and take that fee before settling funds to your Merchant. Needless to say you assume a lot of risk in this manner(i.e. hotel goes out of business - all cardholders chargeback, bank holds all your money), and unless you get an informal totally NOT legitimate 'IPSP' set up going, it is very hard to set up in the first place.

This is by no means a comprehensive list of options and I'm quite certain other folks could add further insight on each point as well - but I hope it helps give you some direction!
    High Risk Merchant Consult

Unbiased Payment Solution Analysis since 2001_ info[at]highriskmc.com

Yes, OKPay is a good option. New company on the market, very low fees.

Thanks for the posts, only a day ago I thought this would be the easy part, but I'm starting to understand it all more now. Cheers

try not to stress it too much, most of these programs have no commitment, so you can switch it up anytime. That being said if you plan on making it a serious source of revenue - anything worth doing right is worth doing right the first time. There is no such thing as a stupid question... (usually ;-)

Really? Like how much is the transaction fees? (Say, if a customer pays for $50, how much do you keep?) I can't seem to find it on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoBB View Post
    Yes, OKPay is a good option. New company on the market, very low fees.
    I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.

There are links at the top of their front page, you can click the link for "Service Fees" to see what their current charges are.

That page is not helpful. I was looking for transaction charge like 2.5$ + 2% etc. I don't seem to get it. Not so clear in there.

What I know so far that does have commission is Clickbank. You will integrate your affiliate link in their website so that every order is credited to your affiliate. They get paid and you get a commission.
    I am trying to see that in OKPay, but could not see it on their website.
    I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.