Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Servage just suspended my account without any information...

Servage just suspended my account without any notice. When i asked, i got this response, what should i do, i am offline für 24hours now - i am shocked about this ignorance:

Dec 04 - 18:27 GMT
    Customer

What do you mean? Please activate my account which i paid for!

Please tell me what domain was attacked and give me the logs!

Thank you!

xxx
    Dec 04 - 17:53 GMT
    Servage

Hello xxx,

Kindly advice which measures you will take to avoid any further attacks for the future?

Kind regards,
    Patricia, Servage Hosting
    Dec 04 - 14:36 GMT
    Customer

What does that mean?!

I cant do anything about DDOS Attacks?!

I paid for the Hosting till februar 2007 - and all my domains are offline!

xxx
    Dec 04 - 14:30 GMT
    Servage

Hello xxx
    I am sorry to say you that your account has been suspended due to a very heavy DDoS attack. Attack was IP based and account should not be reopened.

Thanks for your understanding!

Kind regards,
    xxx, Servage Hosting
    Dec 04 - 14:26 GMT
    Customer

Hi!

All my domains are offline since last night.

Could you please check this?

Greetings xxx

While their responses leave a lot to be desired, you are not helping yourself with your responses either. You call them ignorant but you are expecting them to just leave your account active even if it is causing problems for other clients?

No matter how long you have paid for on shared hosting, a host is not going to leave your account active when it is causing downtime for a whole server and they are unlikely to jump to help you when you are not taking their reasons for suspending the account seriously either.

As far as i know, the only way to block DDOS Attacks is by the provider and not the webmaster. What should i do if i dont get ANY information about it?!

I never provocated anyone to attack my domains and thats all i can do about DDOS attacks....

They still dont react.

I can see why they would do but it really isnt the best approach to do, they cant control who does and does not get DDoS'd however they should have measures in place to protect against this,

Simply write an email to Servage explaining that you dont know who was DoSing your website ask for more details as to which domain it was and logs of the attacks (so you may report it to the correct people)
    explain to them that you dont know who it is and that DoS protection should be down to them.

Make sure you send this via an email and not as a live chat etc.. as if you email it you will have evidence of the conversation that may be reviewed later and if nessesary taking a bit further action, I suggest you review their ToS a little closer aswell to see exacally where you stand.

Thank you very much for the answer. I think i will do this. But in the mean time my domains are offline...and offline...and offline...and they dont have any phone line, so i can just wait and wait...

DDos attacks cant be set hold by client and you might not have enough logs to determine who is doing it
    ask servage to provide the logs from where the attack is pushing up with domain
    Imageleet.com - Premium Hosting Solutions Since 2006
    Shared Hosting, FFmpeg Hosting, Linux VPS and Dedicated Solutions.
    SSD, Litespeed powered, R1soft, cPanel | Softaculous | Rvsitebuilder + FFmpeg, Mencoder, Mplayer, Flvtool2, x264
    http://www.imageleet.com

Quote Originally Posted by metapro
    Thank you very much for the answer. I think i will do this. But in the mean time my domains are offline...and offline...and offline...and they dont have any phone line, so i can just wait and wait...
    If they have no phone line the best you do is just wait i'm afraid,
    next time I recommend doing a little more research on a hosting company before you purchase, I cant see any reason why a company would not have a phone number unless they are not a very serious company.

Quote Originally Posted by InfoH
    next time I recommend doing a little more research on a hosting company before you purchase, I cant see any reason why a company would not have a phone number unless they are not a very serious company.
    Try opening a hosting company and paying the costs associated with phone support and then you might find out why some companies do no offer it.

Quote Originally Posted by InfoH
    phone support comes at a price and servage is hosting 60,000 domains i guess so its not financially justified for them to provide phone support
    SSD, Litespeed powered, R1soft, cPanel | Softaculous | Rvsitebuilder + FFmpeg, Mencoder, Mplayer, Flvtool2, x264

Quote Originally Posted by hashcoder
    DDos attacks cant be set hold by client and you might not have enough logs to determine who is doing it
    ask servage to provide the logs from where the attack is pushing up with domain
    I would like to, but no reaction anymore....

Its a bad situation, the host doesnt give information, my users are angry about the downtime, and any new host tells me: Oh, your target of a DDOS, this might have a reason and could happen more often. So just stay away.

One gave me the great hint to change domains.

I would like to, but no reaction anymore....

Its a bad situation, the host doesnt give information, my users are angry about the downtime, and any new host tells me: Oh, your target of a DDOS, this might have a reason and could happen more often. So just stay away.

One gave me the great hint to change domains.
    changing domain wont stop DDos attacks unless you wont tell any of your users that it belongs to you..very unrealistic

metapro,

Essentially what you're going to want to state is that you'll endeavour to avoid to be attacked in the future. You'll ensure that you will NOT provoke users on the internet.

They might be nice enough to re-enable it on your behalf.
    Please note that they are your only friend in this situation: They have your data and they have the ability to turn it back on.

Be nice to them.

But this isn't a solution. If there is a DOS again tomorrow, i will again be offline, will again not have provoked anyone and again have to wait for support answers, which dont come....

BTW: I have the data. I just dont have the web access to it. Ftp works.

metapro,

Your best bet would be to take backups of everything and find a host who will be able to deal with such attacks. Unless they're something beyond basic ddos there are quite a few hosts who would be able to deal with such attacks (and even if they are more then basic you can still find those who can handle them, just keep in mind that comes with a price also).

They now want to know what i will do against future DDOS attacks.

But i CAN'T prevent them, no webmaster can. I really dont know
    what to answer other than i have not had any stress with anyone
    or any party.

Simply tell them that DoS prevention is not something you can control, and that its down to them.

Might want to try to let them know that you have setup new firewall rules that will help on some of the known attacts. Just a thought.
    ServNX LLC - Leading into success
    Hosting Solutions, Software Development, VPS Servers, Design Solutions, IRC & Adult Allowed!

I have just checked and since February we have seen 3-4 big DDoS attacks on your domain name. Last night another one hit and we decided to take your account offline to protect our other customers.

These have not been small attacks. The one last night generated around 950 mbps which is quite a lot. Even good DDoS protecting can not always protect the backend systems.

It is a sad situation both for you and us. We hate to lose customers but in this particular case we have to think about our other customers.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.
    Steffan,
    Servage.net | Affordable Clustered Hosting

Last night another one hit and we decided to take your account offline to protect our other customers.
    That's understandable. Maybe a better communication with the OP would have prevented this thread from ever appearing.

metapro, maybe with Servage's help you can determine which website(s) attract(s) these attacks, and keep them separated from your other ones.

i've been with servage for 6 months and when my sites started to grow they were suspended everyday for using the max connections.
    also i had a domain with them and they register it with tucows,but now i don't have it anymore,tucows says i need to contact servage and servage says i need to contact tucows.
    overselling...

Quote Originally Posted by servage-stef
    I have just checked and since February we have seen 3-4 big DDoS attacks on your domain name. Last night another one hit and we decided to take your account offline to protect our other customers.

These have not been small attacks. The one last night generated around 950 mbps which is quite a lot. Even good DDoS protecting can not always protect the backend systems.

It is a sad situation both for you and us. We hate to lose customers but in this particular case we have to think about our other customers.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.
    That is not a problem IMHO. If a customer is getting ddos attacked (big attacks) then your other customers are loosing out aswell. I believe you did the right thing by suspeneding the account to prevent any future effect on other customers of the server.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

950mbps sounds a lot to me. I suggest you look at providers who specialize in DDOS protection.

I just ask four things:

1. Why dont i get any information to what domain was affected nor the logs for the attacks(s) if it was SO big?

2. When this has been so often, why did i never hear ANYTHING about this till now? The actual attack was the FIRST which was reported to me by Servage.
    I think i should have had the right to search the source if this really happened
    again and again. Now they just state things.

3. Why doesnt Servage answer my questions in the ticket and just repeat "we had to close..." and "our other customers"....

4. The hosting was prepaid for half a year, but they ignore my questions about getting a refund for the REST of the months i now cant use anymore. Is this professional?
    Wouldnt it be fair (if) to close the account and give the rest of the payment back?
    Last edited by metapro; 12-05-2006 at 12:53 AM.

I just ask three things:

1. Why dont i get any information to what domain was affected nor the logs for the attacks(s) if it was SO big?

2. When this has been so often, why did i never hear ANYTHING about this till now? The actual attack was the FIRST which was reported to me by Servage.
    I think i should have had the right to search the source if this really happened
    again and again. Now they just state things.

3. Why doesnt Servage answer my questions in the ticket and just repeat "we had to close..." and "our other customers"....
    they have given right justification for closing the account but you can do is just ask them the domain affected and take it away from servage for time being as this will atleast bring your other sites online

I asked more than once. They just dont answer me. Now i am at a point i dont want to go online anymore with servage. I am really disappointed.
    Right justification would have been if they closed the account and send me the log for the attack as well as the affected domains and give the rest of the money back. I would have understand this, if reasonable. Sure.

This attack is still misterious for me. If you knew the pages you would understand what i mean. There was really nothing controverse on it. Not at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast