Need dedicated server for website + streaming video

I'm launching a website that's going to incorporate live streaming video along with on demand video. I'm trying to determine how much bandwidth I'm going to need along with the port speed. I'm not sure what bit rate we will be streaming in some maybe you guys can give me some ball park numbers on some average usage. The questions I need to know are...

How many users can a 100mbit port support along with the types of bandwidth a 100% maxed 100mbit port will use. How many users can a 1gigabit port support along with the types of bandwidth a 100% maxed 1gigabit port will use. Will I need to upgrade my hardware the higher amount of users I have connected at the same time or is streaming independent of the dedicated box hardware. I'm trying to find the best solution possible for what I'm trying to achieve. We anticipate growing quickly and having anywhere from 200-1000 simultaneous users primetime during our live shout casting. My budget is $400 a month. Thanks

It all comes down to what bitrates you're streaming at and how many visitors you have... Without knowing more it's impossible to tell you.

If you stream at 1megabit/second per stream a 100megabit port could support around 92 visitors or so and a gigabit port could support around 900ish. This also requires that your I/O device such as a hard drive can handle this throughput as well.

If you're streaming at 150kbps you could get probably around 750 on a 100megabit port I would figure (doing rough math in my head).

Keep in mind that maxing out a 100 megabit port will result in a LOT of bandwidth usage and isn't going to be anywhere near your budget.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Go for 100tb.com

Check them.
    Senior System Administrator / DevOp - LinkedIn / MailChannels Director of Sales, Europe
    MyW - Shared/Reseller Hosting & Server Management (cPanel/DA/Virtualization Servers)