Collecting mail from server

I am running a remote dedicated server with freebsd/sendmail.

I want to use the server as my mail server to send (SMTP) and receive (POP3) email for just a few users.

I want to be able to send and receive mail from different locations (I move around) using Microsoft Outlook laptop.

So far I am able to send mail using Outlook from my laptop (I have added the IP for the present ISP to ACCESS). I understand POP before SMTP will take away the need to keep changing the ACCESS IP.

I can send email to users on my server and have the email relayed to off-server accounts with other ISPs.

I can send email to users on my server and the email will be stored in their email file.

The step I am having trouble with is using Outlook to collect the mail from the server.

I get a message that Outlook is unable to connect to the POP3 server.

From an ONLAMP article I read it says that POP3 is what places the email in the various user accounts, so since that is happening I assume that there is a POP3 server running - or is that a mistake on my part. How can I check it?

Any ideas on how to resolve this problem would be appreciated.

A pop3 server isn't installed by default with freebsd. You can quickly check from the shell if you have one installed by doing a pkg_info | grep pop . There are a number of pop3 servers available in the ports collection for freebsd such as qpopper or courier. A browse through /usr/ports/mail (if you have the ports collection installed) should give you a good idea of your easy options.
    Hope that helps
    Jacob Turner -- Ringnebula Systems
    Managed IT solutions for small business

Thanks for the response.

What I did find was the following package :
    cclient-2002,1 Mark Crispin's C-client mail access routines

and file :
    /usr/local/include/c-client/pop3.h

Not sure if that's enough to draw any conclusions.

Would mail be delivered to individual user mailboxes if there was no POP server running?

What you found were development headers. Those won't help you at all unless you plan on developing your own pop3 server........ Sendmail takes care of delivering incoming email to user mailboxes on the server. Pop3 is an interface that allows a user to download their mail to their own machine for reading instead of having to login to the machine and check/read their mail with a client such as mail or pine. So still you will need to install a pop3 server from the ports collection. If you want simple I would suggest that you use qpopper as it is very simple to install and takes almost no setup at all. If you have more advanced needs there are a number of other pop3 servers available in the ports collection.
    Good Luck
    Jacob Turner -- Ringnebula Systems
    Managed IT solutions for small business