Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles

Los Angeles

Hi,

I have seen many options for colocation in LA, but most of them jump from 1U to half without many options.

My intention is to colocate a 2U PE2850 with 6 SCSI drives in Los Angeles for less than $100/month (and then, the cheaper, the better, assuming good service). Being that server, & config it's very likely that 1A of power is not enough.

I'm not looking for more than 2 fixed IP's. And, for at least the first months, the bandwidth requirements are quite low (a 1Mbps burstable 95% would do).

I asked Quadranet ($125/m), ColocationAmerica (undef quote as of now)- and I've considered other options: Equinix, Primus, etc.

Any suggestion? Thanks in advance!

That system is going to use 2 to 2.5A of power @ 120v. Under $100 is going to be pretty much impossible for any place reputable.

$100 to $120 will be your target price range.

My intention is to colocate a 2U PE2850 with 6 SCSI drives in Los Angeles
    Suggestion: Throw away the 5 year old, energy inefficient, ridiculously expensive storage system, boat anchor.
    Power is expensive in data centers, and equipment like that belong in the recycling bin, not in modern data centers.

syminet in LA is pretty good for all size options of colo
    http://www.QuoteColo.com - Colocation, Miner Hosting, Dedicated and Cloud Hosting Quotes

I was gonna recomend QuadraNet, when I saw the title, but when I saw the post mentioning QuadraNet, it was a shame.

I'm pretty sure you won't get anyone doing that for the range you're asking in LA... power is expensive in that area.
    ★ Nicholas @ EidolonHost
    ★ Blesta and InterWorx Reseller. See WebHost Licenses for details.
    ★ We have Let's Encrypt Support

LA isn't the cheapest market out there, and $100 is really pushing it.
    Does it have to be in LA, or just West Coast based?
    Arizona has cheap colocation, all things considered.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Thank all for your replies and suggestions!

Now that you're saying, it really doesn't need to be in LA. But the closer, the better. I would consider something like Phoenix, etc. if the difference in costs is worth it.

I won't consider replacing the hardware yet (maybe in a year or so).

Is Seattle working for you? Also, do you need Windows license or just Linux?

Thanks.

Seattle may be too far away (meaning that just the possible transportation cost may be equivalent to the difference in a few months).

It is running Debian. Everything is already installed and ready to be colocated.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    That system is going to use 2 to 2.5A of power @ 120v. Under $100 is going to be pretty much impossible for any place reputable.

$100 to $120 will be your target price range.
    I agree.. definitely a power hog and power isn't cheap.

Check out WebNX's colocation since you're looking at the West Coast.
    * GeekStorage.com - Offering awesome website hosting for over 13 years!
    * Shared Hosting * Reseller Hosting * Virtual Private Servers * Dedicated Servers
    * Have questions? Send us an e-mail, we'd love to hear from you!

Last time I checked, webnx doesn't offer colo anymore.

I've always seen ridiculous offers through these guys, but don't know much about them: http://calpop.com/Single-Server-Colo...tured_product=
    Dan Buyer
    InfoRelay - Connected, Protected, Perfected.
    Equinix LAX & DC, One Wilshire, Wilshire Annex, MPT, VE, 1275K, Reston Exchange, Reston Equinix, 60 Hudson, NYC, and Chicago
    www.inforelay.com

You can talk to CorporateColo.com - Vic should be able to take care of you. I just toured their facility earlier this week and its pretty decent.

http://www.corporatecolo.com/cost_calculator/

Colo@ is also in LA - you may want to e-mail them as well. We are customers of theirs in Atlanta and it has been absolutely superb.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

Thumbs up for Colo@

It seems that, indeed, WebNX doesn't offer colocation.

Ok, the list goes like (no special order):

- QuadraNet (~+)
    - Ubiquity ($$)
    - Colocation America (+.)
    - CalPop (~)
    - Digital Hub (?)
    - UnitεdLayer (.) [word censored by webhostingtalk... I guess that there's a reason for that...]
    - Burst.net (~+*) [apparently not the best network- but cheap]
    - Colo@ [coloat.com] (?)
    - m5hosting (+*) [San Diego, CA]
    - Cari.net (?)
    - Scalematrix (?)

* (personal tendency as of now)
    + (mostly favorable reviews)
    ~ (a few discerning disfavorable reviews)
    ? (not yet contacted)
    . (contacted, but sales didn't reply)

Thank you all! Any addition?
    Last edited by the1969huff; 08-18-2011 at 09:46 PM.

layer42.net - good network, but not cheap
    fastserv.net - I hear good thing about them too

*they are not in LA, but as you listed some in SD too*

Last I checked cari.net was San Diego

Ok. I'll update that 'entry' on the list. xD

You see, I am considering Los Angeles and nearby alternatives (up to 6 hours driving... as I wrote before, even Phoenix would do)... as the price is one of the main decision factors.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by the1969huff View Post
    Ok, the list goes like (no special order):

- Burst.net (~+*) [apparently not the best network- but cheap]
    There is nothing wrong with our network.
    Don't confuse a handful of users with VPS services that are on a slow node with performance of the network as a whole.
    Our budget VPS services have nothing to do with the performance of our Dedicated Servers and Colocation services, and our network overall.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    Don't confuse a handful of users with VPS services that are on a slow node with performance of the network as a whole.
    Our budget VPS services have nothing to do with the performance of our Dedicated Servers and Colocation services, and our network overall.
    Well, I'm using this review of your colocation as a reference: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=606355 But well, it is not even the LA data center! (and now that I see, it is quite outdated)

Of course, I cannot make any statement, it is just my interpretation of the compilation of data that I'm gathering. Sorry if I am not entitled to put it like I did.

Anyway, so far, BurstNet is my choice in LA.

Cheers,
    Last edited by the1969huff; 08-18-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Well, I'm using this review of your colocation as a reference: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=606355 But well, it is not even the LA data center! (and now that I see, it is quite outdated)
    Invalid/irrelevant review at this point, as it is from 2007.
    We are not the same company whatsoever since November 2008, as our network was completely replaced/upgraded/overhauled in late 2008.
    We also hired new network engineering staff then as well...so any network review really prior to 2009 means absolutely nothing, as they are speaking of a network that does not even exist any more

Anyway, so far, BurstNet is my choice in LA.
    Cheers,
    Good to hear!

+1 for Colo@

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post

Really??

I have a dedicated box in LA, and you still can't keep the thing connected 24/7. There were huge issues when I set this up. It took a month for them to be repaired. Now two months later, problems are returning. For a month or more now, the connections have been going through periods of 5 or 10 mins, (sometimes 30 mins), were it was essentially offline.

From the round of emails from last week, here are a few selected passages.

"An attack against any IP on the same network segment can cause issues for anyone on that segment if large enough. Regardless of the protections in place, these issues do occur unfortunately. If the attack is against the same address repeatedly further action is taken. Unfortunately that hasnt been the case in most circumstances."

"... The issues you are seeing are solely related to what have been various bandwidth abuse issues on the same segment."

(you have my ticket number already).

And to top that off, when your firewall does kick in, its clamps down on some services and not others, despite the claims to the contrary by your support. At times I was fully prevented from either popping / posting mail, or logging on or surfing to my server, with a different experience on different IP's.

Your system is not as robust as you would like to think.

rossh

Webnx.com cheap colocation

Quote Originally Posted by rosshwht View Post
    And to top that off, when your firewall does kick in, its clamps down on some services and not others, despite the claims to the contrary by your support. At times I was fully prevented from either popping / posting mail, or logging on or surfing to my server, with a different experience on different IP's. Your system is not as robust as you would like to think.
    I am well aware of your support ticket regarding this matter, and your insistence to the contrary of what our support staff has told you. We do NOT block any ports by default, and we do NOT have any of your traffic firewalled, contrary to you insisting that we do. You are basically calling us liars, and that will not be tolerated. Once again...we are NOT blocking any of your ports by default.

Any problems you may or may not be experiencing are unique to you alone. We have thousands and thousands of clients in LA at this point, mixed across many different service types, and if we were having the problems you are stating network-wide, you would be seeing complaints all over the place about LA...and you are just not. And don't even try and claim thta the recent complaints on WHT are related, as they are not, that was a messed up Windows Update from Microsoft at fault alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast