Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Anybody with DigitalOcean ?

Hi,

I would like to try their cloud and create about 3 droplets. Few questions:

1. How about their network uptime ? Are they stable ?
    2. Network speed
    3. Support speed (not very important , but one never knows )

thank you.

1. Excellent uptime in the year or so I have used them, mostly using NY2 and Singapore locations.

2. For network speed use http://speedtest-nyc3.digitalocean.com/. That is for ny3 but has links to other locations.

3. I have only contacted support once or twice and they have answered quickly.

The big limitations of DO are only 1 IPv4 per droplet and less CPU power compared to competition like Linode and Vultr. I think they eventually are adding support for multiple IPv4, but it does not sound like it will happen in the near future. CPU seems to occasionally get maxed out by those you are sharing CPU with, but usually only a very brief disruption. Never really have any problem with 2+ cpu instances.

This should really be in the VPS section, their services are nothing more than KVM VPS. They are reliable from what I've seen, I use them occasionally to run test services and guides since they have hourly billing. I've never used their support however, so can't comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_A View Post
    This should really be in the VPS section, their services are nothing more than KVM VPS. They are reliable from what I've seen, I use them occasionally to run test services and guides since they have hourly billing. I've never used their support however, so can't comment.
    All depends on your definition of a cloud service. Some define a cloud service as something on-demand/hourly billing and instant deployment/provisioning of VMs, some people say a cloud service must have redundancy thus necessitating some form of data replication or centralized storage (e.g. SAN) with built-in redundancy or replication.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    All depends on your definition of a cloud service. Some define a cloud service as something on-demand/hourly billing and instant deployment/provisioning of VMs, some people say a cloud service must have redundancy thus necessitating some form of data replication or centralized storage (e.g. SAN) with built-in redundancy or replication.
    The term "cloud" is slowly being taken with a pinch of salt. Anyone can buy an OVH server install SolusVM and have a custom hourly billing module made for WHMCS heck even some exist already then hey-presto your the latest cloud provider on the block even while no redundancy is inplace the server simply uses a single SATA disk... Still a cloud though isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    I don't consider pay per hour billing as cloud, and unfortunately it seems 80% of people consider cloud to be hourly billing.

Quote Originally Posted by ckissi View Post
    Hi,

I would like to try their cloud and create about 3 droplets. Few questions:

1. How about their network uptime ? Are they stable ?
    2. Network speed
    3. Support speed (not very important , but one never knows )

thank you.
    I would definitely recommend them. I have a node in Singapore with them (to host my shared clients... Dedicated hosting is way too expensive in Asia ha)

Haven't had many issues at all. Best of all is their free library of tutorials. (theirs and linodes are great!)

I am having an average of 1.5 outages of 10-20 min per week due to the node locking up and they refuse to move it to another. Going to have to move out of DO at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen) View Post
    I am having an average of 1.5 outages of 10-20 min per week due to the node locking up and they refuse to move it to another. Going to have to move out of DO at this point.
    You must be on a bad node. Over the last 6 months I haven't noticed a single instance of downtime (other than reboots for kernel updates) across 4 "droplets". I do agree with @Mike_A, DO is a KVM VPS provider the same as RamNode and others. As long as you are aware of that going in, it isn't a problem.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by DWS2006 View Post
    You must be on a bad node. Over the last 6 months I haven't noticed a single instance of downtime (other than reboots for kernel updates) across 4 "droplets". I do agree with @Mike_A, DO is a KVM VPS provider the same as RamNode and others. As long as you are aware of that going in, it isn't a problem.
    I agree,they are obviously monitoring it more now because when it first started happening services would be down 1-2 hours until I opened a ticket, now generally within 10 minutes it has rebooted and services start coming back up. However, they haven't even attempted to fix underlying issue.

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen) View Post
    I agree,they are obviously monitoring it more now because when it first started happening services would be down 1-2 hours until I opened a ticket, now generally within 10 minutes it has rebooted and services start coming back up. However, they haven't even attempted to fix underlying issue.
    Definitely strange. Have you tried migrating your droplet to a different node? (they have a couple that are close together)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonchun View Post
    Definitely strange. Have you tried migrating your droplet to a different node? (they have a couple that are close together)
    No, I guess I could restore a backup or snapshot and move it, I just didn't want to deal with changing DNS for the services. If it continues I will either have to do that, or move away. It isn't a critical service, it is just one that I'd like to be working you know

Indeed. True cloud hosting with failovers and redundancy is likely going to cost more than what DO charge. As far as I'm concerned the most popular "cloud" providers (e.g. do, linode) are just Xen VMs with glorified control panels.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    The term "cloud" is slowly being taken with a pinch of salt. Anyone can buy an OVH server install SolusVM and have a custom hourly billing module made for WHMCS heck even some exist already then hey-presto your the latest cloud provider on the block even while no redundancy is inplace the server simply uses a single SATA disk... Still a cloud though isn't it
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!

I used for 1 month. Network speed is average that i found on my droplet but others things are pretty good.
    AdroitSSD LLC - Incredible™ Hosting Platform| In Business Since 2012 | 24/7 Real Support
    Pure SSD Hosting - 90 Days Moneyback Guarantee! | LiteSpeed + LSCache | 99.95% Uptime | CloudLinux
    SSD KVM VPS - INTENSE™ DDOS Protection |1 Gbit port Speed | LiteSpeed & Softaculous License

I've been with them for a little over two years. Thumbs up from here.
    Killing servers since 2000

I have almost 100 droplets, on average I see 2-3 droplets rebooted due to node failure every month. Never the same one, acceptable in the case of a large & redundant cluster.

I had problems before on cPanel DNS-only-version, once a week suddenly the DO droplet didn't allow access with root password or access hash until it was rebooted and root password changed from DO panel.
    :: Web hosting services since 2002
    :: BACKUP SPIDER - Truly affordable cPanel powered storage space - OwnCloud available.
    :: Geohost.fi - Load balanced and geotargeted web hosting (EU/US/Asia).

I have 5 small droplets from them. All of them on Amsterdam datacenters. No issues so far.

I have a few droplets with them, 100% uptime after about one year

Yes, I own 10 servers from digitalocean. I use 2 for minecraft servers and the rest for developing projects. Support is awesome the the FAQ is community & staff built. Also billing is not a hassle and they're more than fair to their customers who have to pay late. Example, I forgot to pay for the 10 for 2 months, honest mistake.. so I paid the bill and I figured the servers had gone offline but they were still up and running. I believe after 3 months they turn your server off for non-payment and you cannot create any new droplets.

I'm only in my first month with them - but so far have no complaints. I've got a cPanel install on one of the droplets and the other is just a DEV server.

Many of us do not consider Digital Ocean as true "Cloud". No redundancy, no high-availability. It's not cloud, it's just VPS by another name.
    Brent Presley - brent@innoscale.net
    Innovative Scaling Technologies Inc. - Enterprise Cloud Hosting and Support
    24/7 Dedicated Support, Call us @ 1-888-722-8515
    www.innoscale.net - Ashburn - Dallas - Seattle - Santa Clara - Chicago - Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by brentpresley View Post
    Many of us do not consider Digital Ocean as true "Cloud". No redundancy, no high-availability. It's not cloud, it's just VPS by another name.
    Its considered as "cloud" because of the hourly billing. Tell another joke
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

There is no absolute definition of cloud hosting, so it can be many things. To the average user it works and does what it says it does and that's all that really matters.

To those technically minded or that way inclined High Availability may be important to you but it's not for most DO users. So whatever way you want to package it up the size of their customer base seems to suggest people like their "Cloud"

With;

5 Geographical Locations
    Only SF does not have IPV6
    9 different DC's
    Backups
    Snapshots
    Private Networking

More than most offer and I am sure from those items above you can put together more than just a couple of VPS if you really wanted for not a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lee~ View Post
    There is no absolute definition of cloud hosting, so it can be many things. To the average user it works and does what it says it does and that's all that really matters.

To those technically minded or that way inclined High Availability may be important to you but it's not for most DO users. So whatever way you want to package it up the size of their customer base seems to suggest people like their "Cloud"

With;

5 Geographical Locations
    Only SF does not have IPV6
    9 different DC's
    Backups
    Snapshots
    Private Networking

More than most offer and I am sure from those items above you can put together more than just a couple of VPS if you really wanted for not a lot of money.
    Again, STILL not cloud.

If the node you are on has a hardware problem, you are down until they fix it. That could be hours, or more, and clients looking for extremely high uptime will not tolerate that possibility.

Redundancy and High-Availability require substantially more expensive network and hardware designs.

Digital Ocean = VPS by just another name.
    Brent Presley - brent@innoscale.net
    Innovative Scaling Technologies Inc. - Enterprise Cloud Hosting and Support
    24/7 Dedicated Support, Call us @ 1-888-722-8515
    www.innoscale.net - Ashburn - Dallas - Seattle - Santa Clara - Chicago - Amsterdam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast