* is this space enough?

hi I just wanna ask is 20 giga enough for a forum? the forum will be text only and links shared from other sites no more I mean no big attachment or uploads

Quote Originally Posted by signoremido View Post
    hi I just wanna ask is 20 giga enough for a forum? the forum will be text only and links shared from other sites no more I mean no big attachment or uploads
    Depends how many users and messages per day. It is fine to start with that much and then just upgrade when you need to! That shouldn't be a problem with any reputable host at all!

Good luck with your forum!
    Still under development! Web Hosting in the East of England!

Got good payment gateway rates! PM me for more details

Yes, 20GB of space should be enough to start with.
    CrocWeb Cloud - High Availability Cloud Website Hosting
    > NVMe Storage, LSCache, Redis, Global CDN, Unlimited SSL
    > Triple Data Replication, Automated Server Failover
    > Bad Bots, Malware, DDoS Protection

I think you could get away with starting with a quarter of that. Most webhosts will allow you to upgrade over time. A forum takes time to populate so I wouldn't worry about running out of space so soon.
    Web Trade Pro - The only web hosting you'll ever need...EVER...
    █ 100s Auto Install Scripts for Blogs, Forums, Shopping Carts and Billing Systems
    Email sales@webtradepro.com and find out more!

Web Trade Pro Ltd | United Kingdom - Manchester | Company No. 07763352

Yes , its enough you can even start with minimum 1gb .

With forums its not really diskspace you are going to be concerned with, its CPU/Memory and MySQL usage (which effects hard drive performance).
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Yes, its more than enough for quite a while. You'd need to upgrade after a year or so, if your forum grows very fast, otherwise, it won't be required even then

That should be more than enough. You'll hit other so-called "hidden limts" in the TOS/AUP before you use up the 20GB. By that time your forum will no longer be suitable for a shared hositing environment and you will need to upgrade to vps or dedicated server. Try and choose a host that offers that kind of migration path and will help you when the time comes.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Thanks guys for help

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    That should be more than enough. You'll hit other so-called "hidden limts" in the TOS/AUP before you use up the 20GB. By that time your forum will no longer be suitable for a shared hositing environment and you will need to upgrade to vps or dedicated server. Try and choose a host that offers that kind of migration path and will help you when the time comes.
    Well said! Yes, it will be fine for now, certainly. I don't think you should have to worry about your disk space cap for a forum at the moment.
    Hostwinds Unlimited Web Hosting
    Cpanel/WHM | Not Oversold | Low Server Loads | Reseller / Business Plans Available
    Cloud Hosting

It seems most forums are around 1-3gb. It will only become an issue if your forum becomes highly succesful with thousands and thousands of member activity.

Attachments are the only thing that really take up room.
    You can have 100,000 posts and have a database smaller than 100MB (0.1GB).

MySQL connections (RAM) are the most important aspect.

Forums also work best on VPS, not shared hosting, because you can tweak cache, MySQL and PHP values.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Yes you can start with 20GB and upgrade later if needed.
    BuyVIRT.com: Fully Managed VPS, Self Unmanaged VPS
    OVZ/KVM, SSD POWERED
    Locations: - Hong Kong - Netherlands - Ashburn VA

It should be more than enough for a text and image based forum.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

I would also suggest staying away from vBulletin/IPB/XenForo or the larger and more popular, paid forum scripts (well, considering you're looking for shared hosting, you probably can't afford a license anyways...) However, smaller forums like phpBB, myBB, SMF, etc might be an affordable and easy start for you. Also, I suggest you start with 5-10GB instead of 20. You don't need that much.