Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    I always figured softlayer was very financially successful.
    Simply providing good service doesn't always guarantee financial success.

Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    Yes, I know that for a fact.
    nice to know
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    Guys, just want to chime in regarding 100tb.com, as a few of the posts above are related to us - our product range will *not* change because of this, there will be no interruption or change in service.

D
    glad to hear that
    i2DOTNET
    ▪ Fast and Reliable Webhosting
    ▪ Los Angeles, Amsterdam and Indonesia Data Centers

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    Simply providing good service doesn't always guarantee financial success.
    I understand that but it just surprises me how company's that has such large amounts of customers are unsteady and the users really never know about it until the last minute.

As Sailor already pointed out:

Softlayer Technologies Inc.'s proposed $230 million senior secured credit facilities. Proceeds from the debt issue, along with approximately $190 million of new private common equity, will be used to fund GI Partners' purchase of a majority controlling interest in Softlayer, repay $74.6 million of existing debt, and for transaction costs. Our default simulation has the company defaulting under the secured credit facilities during 2014,
    It's a leveraged buy. The business will have more debt costs than it had before the sale. The next thing that happens is the search for ways to cut costs or increase revenues to service the debt.

Don't forget that bond rating agencies are not particularly keen to say bad things. Saying bad things too many times get you left out in the cold.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Investors don't pay $400 million for financially strapped companies. And the ratings agencies just got called on the carpet by Congress for calling bundles of subprime mortgages AAA. They're going out of their way to be negative these days.

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    I understand that but it just surprises me how company's that has such large amounts of customers are unsteady and the users really never know about it until the last minute.
    I'm sure the news of this leaked before they planned to make an official announcement
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Everyone has been saying this industry has been looking more and more like a commodity. All the lower end "mom and pop" shops undercutting the big guys. The big guys then in turn start dropping their pants to beat out the smaller guys. Providers offering outrageous deals. No one selling on quality and value anymore. Every customer asking for a "deal", "discount", and to "lower" their monthly bill. If a customer doesn't get what they want, then they come complain here to try and get their way. Let's not forget all the shady customers in the hosting industry and how hard it is to get money from them.

And it is difficult to really determine the financial stability of a company unless they fully disclose their financial info. with the rest of the world. I am not saying anyone here is financially unstable or facing liquidity issues, because I myself have not done the proper research. But you cannot always trust the sales guy on the other side saying, "we are financially sound, we will be around forever!" If you can find some of the numbers behind the books, try using some of the ratios from the following link to help you come up with more knowledgeable conclusions:

http://www.netmba.com/finance/financial/ratios/

Investors don't pay $400 million for financially strapped companies.
    I am not sure of the accuracy of this statement. But it seems that's what happens when someone sees a good brand, product, service that runs off a poor business model. Sure the company might be financially stressed, however, that is where "investing" comes in. It involves risk. Raise debt to finance a business and hope your product, staff, and management execute well enough to turn cash flows in the positive. Investors would be chomping at the bit to buy something for a lower price and feel confident enough to turn it around and then resell higher.

Quote Originally Posted by XeHSean View Post
    I'm sure the news of this leaked before they planned to make an official announcement
    100% agree.

If I put on the "numbers" hat for a few minutes, and assuming the general statements in the thread are true (current SL debt levels, GI purchase price and majority ownership)....

As an investor, I can't imagine buying a majority stake in a company a) who's debt levels were getting a little too high for my personal tastes, and b) forward market movement seems to have stalled (at least if you look around here anyway), unless you have a plan to improve the business financials. Remember, if SL were to go belly-up, they lose everything.

There are two ways I can see this going. One is to improve the revenue side - that is use the new assets SL has acquired and increase sales and marketing to improve business. (Probably make some sort of bigger 'cloud' push as its a buzzword a finance-guy can get his head around easily.) the other way is to reduce and control expenses.

You will likely do both, but only one to a lesser extent. The low-hanging-fruit kind of stuff. Generally pump up PR and whatnot, or trim waste/excess.

Lets not forget they are the TP investment in the wings as well. What financial guy isn't going to look at two companies in virtually an identical business with similar product lines and say "merge 'em?"

I'm trying to see a positive side but I'm having a hell of a hard time.

Confirming what Ryan said in his original post. Deal is done.

wow... that really sucks

Quote Originally Posted by sailorjr View Post
    http://www.alacrastore.com/research/...Profile-806900

Is a merger imminent?

Who will run the new company? Lance as CEO? Doug as Chairman?
    $400 for a report

Someone want to fill me in on the history between these 2 companies and these 2 guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Rochen View Post
    Confirming what Ryan said in his original post. Deal is done.
    Where did you hear that? I still don't see any press releases on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by daroz View Post
    100% agree.

If I put on the "numbers" hat for a few minutes, and assuming the general statements in the thread are true (current SL debt levels, GI purchase price and majority ownership)....

As an investor, I can't imagine buying a majority stake in a company a) who's debt levels were getting a little too high for my personal tastes, and b) forward market movement seems to have stalled (at least if you look around here anyway), unless you have a plan to improve the business financials. Remember, if SL were to go belly-up, they lose everything.

There are two ways I can see this going. One is to improve the revenue side - that is use the new assets SL has acquired and increase sales and marketing to improve business. (Probably make some sort of bigger 'cloud' push as its a buzzword a finance-guy can get his head around easily.) the other way is to reduce and control expenses.

You will likely do both, but only one to a lesser extent. The low-hanging-fruit kind of stuff. Generally pump up PR and whatnot, or trim waste/excess.

Lets not forget they are the TP investment in the wings as well. What financial guy isn't going to look at two companies in virtually an identical business with similar product lines and say "merge 'em?"

I'm trying to see a positive side but I'm having a hell of a hard time.
    You are missing a lot of numbers then.
    There was a change in the accounting standards a few years ago that made things like this possible and even a good thing on the books especially if you are looking at going public or releasing an IPO.

It is a line item called intangible assets. It includes things like projected earnings and good will.
    As the law now stands you cannot carry internally generated goodwill or projected earnings on your books. How ever if you buy a company you can take those numbers and assign anything you want to them and inflate or pump up your assets to look really really good.
    For instance you have to figure a name like coke a cola would be worth billions in the name and brand recognition alone, yet coke cannot put that as an asset on their balance sheet, yet if someone were to buy coke they could put a $$ figure to that name and show it on their books as an intangible asset.

Now I have no idea what GI partners are going to do with SoftLayer or if it is making money etc.. but if you see an IPO come down the line from this then look for that line item intangable assets on the balance sheet and I suspect it will be quite large showing as part of their assets which will help pump up the networth of the company for the IPO.

I wonder if this will have any effect on the RAX position, so far it looks untouched: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=RAX - if anything it looks like it had a positive effect
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

godaddy

Anyone else have any information on godaddy being part of this deal?

I heard from no less than 5 different people last night that godaddy is part of this deal.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post

I heard from no less than 5 different people last night that godaddy is part of this deal.
    If thats the case i'm running as fast as I can to a new host!

Quote Originally Posted by hansenc View Post
    If thats the case i'm running as fast as I can to a new host!
    Indeed
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post

If it's true, I think SL and 100TB customers need to flee ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by tsj5j View Post
    If it's true, I think SL and 100TB customers need to flee ASAP.
    100TB clients will not experience any change of service/price/terms/etc as a result of what is going on.
    And I see no reason for SL clients to fear anything.

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

I contacted George from the Softlayer Marketing department. I actually wouldn't have thought that he would write such an long e-mail but I got all the information needed. I can't say too much since the informations provided are confidential:

** Company and Customer Confidential – not for publication or distribution **
    If you are an concerned Softlayer customer just contact George and he will give you all the information needed.
    Host Mist - Helping People Say Hello World
    Shared | VPS | Dedicated

All I can do is repeat what Ditlev has said, 100TB clients will NOT experience any change and no one needs to fear anything at all, things will only get better in 100TB as we continue developing the business
    General Manager, 100TB
    100TB.com -> 21 Datacenter Locations

Big news for the industry, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    All I can do is repeat what Ditlev has said, 100TB clients will NOT experience any change and no one needs to fear anything at all, things will only get better in 100TB as we continue developing the business
    I hope that's true, but I don't think mere words are of much use.
    Perhaps more solid evidence, such as clearer future plans with SL, would be helpful for your current and prospective customers.

The general consensus is TP management over SL is not a good thing, as they have messed up another merger before.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast