Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DDoS protected dedicated

Are there any places other than Staminus/Gige/Sharktech << snip >>/Awknet that can protect against small/basic bandwidth attacks (not application attacks, http floods, etc), 5-7Gbps+, occasional up to 10?

Budget is not an issue.

edit: irc allowed
    Last edited by writespeak; 09-10-2008 at 01:17 PM.
    semi-retired

Your planning on getting attacked?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewk View Post
    Your planning on getting attacked?
    it's for irc use. using someone's nick can result in an easy multi-gbit flood.
    semi-retired

LOL people still use irc wow... You wont find many irc providers anymore. Gigeservers is probably the best there is.

LOL people still use irc wow... You wont find many irc providers anymore. Gigeservers is probably the best there is.
    yeah, gige wins by a long shot. was hoping for other locations though - it seems the only IRC providers i've seen are chicago/cali only..
    semi-retired

Running an IRC server is like waving a red flag in front of a bull .

Vern
    Swiftwater Telecom: Experience, Support, and Value Makes the Difference!
    Data Center, Server Hosting, Colocation Services http://www.swiftwatertel.com/dedicat...olocation.html
    Now offering Virtual Private Servers!http://www.swiftwatertel.com/dedicat...te-server.html

it'll be mostly clients or bots. maybe one ircd max.
    semi-retired

It's the same thing, either if you have a site or a chan on irc or a nick on irc its exactly the same. The behavior matters!!! He says that when you use/steal someone's nick then you can get attack.. If you use irc without fighting you will not have attacks (i am doing it for more than 5 years and i never ever had any attack.. not even a try to log in on my server..) If your aim is to run bots to steal others' nicks and chans then yes you will have attacks..

It is like you are coming in my site and act like you are the owner of my site.. what i am going to do? ban you? attack your site? and list goes on..

moreover i hear very often about web attacks rather than irc attacks.. People coming here every day asking for ddos protection for their sites..

fbyne in Europe ecatel offers ddos protection but i am not sure if they want a client like you that is going to steal a nick and just wait for the attack.. gtcomm uses gigenet proxyshield but they are located in Canada somewhere..
    Nobody is perfect! My name is nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by D3m0n View Post
    It's the same thing, either if you have a site or a chan on irc or a nick on irc its exactly the same. The behavior matters!!! He says that when you use/steal someone's nick then you can get attack.. If you use irc without fighting you will not have attacks (i am doing it for more than 5 years and i never ever had any attack.. not even a try to log in on my server..) If your aim is to run bots to steal others' nicks and chans then yes you will have attacks..

It is like you are coming in my site and act like you are the owner of my site.. what i am going to do? ban you? attack your site? and list goes on..

moreover i hear very often about web attacks rather than irc attacks.. People coming here every day asking for ddos protection for their sites..

fbyne in Europe ecatel offers ddos protection but i am not sure if they want a client like you that is going to steal a nick and just wait for the attack.. gtcomm uses gigenet proxyshield but they are located in Canada somewhere..
    i don't plan on stealing nicks.
    i'm just saying, it happens
    semi-retired

1. QuakeNet 103838
    2. Undernet 88812
    3. IRCnet 77959
    4. EFnet 44045
    5. DALnet 18820
    6. GameSurge 17131
    7. WebChat 14416
    8. Rizon 13027

378k users on the top 8... :O

Quote Originally Posted by avythe View Post
    1. QuakeNet 103838
    2. Undernet 88812
    3. IRCnet 77959
    4. EFnet 44045
    5. DALnet 18820
    6. GameSurge 17131
    7. WebChat 14416
    8. Rizon 13027

378k users on the top 8... :O
    holy crap dalnet's still alive?
    :O
    semi-retired

Irc is useless anymore torrents ftw!

Now tell me, how many does use torrent to chat with each other ? 0!

Wasn't IRC designed to chat with others ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjørn-Erik Hansen View Post
    Now tell me, how many does use torrent to chat with each other ? 0!

Wasn't IRC designed to chat with others ?
    LOL no one uses irc to chat only to load up their botnets and share illegal files.

Then you are quite wrong, I use IRC on a daily basis to chat with my users. And, we do not share illegal files or serve botnets.

Maybe you should gather some more intel before you answer?

Quote Originally Posted by fbyne View Post
    i don't plan on stealing nicks.
    i'm just saying, it happens
    If you, as I understand you, offer services aimed towards IRC - then you are bound to have some kind of issues sometime because of what has been mentioned earlier in this thread. This is not because of IRC itself, but because of the volume of users you'll take on. With more users, the risk of something happening increase.

I am using IRC right now btw

Then you are quite wrong, I use IRC on a daily basis to chat with my users. And, we do not share illegal files or serve botnets.

Maybe you should gather some more intel before you answer?
    Thats because people like you are behind the times

I don't know which is worse though

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
    So you are saying you are using IRC for botnets and illegal file sharing ? Interesting...

So you are saying you are using IRC for botnets and illegal file sharing ? Interesting...
    the only botnets i've seen in a while here are just legit eggdrops/etc
    semi-retired

99% of the users saying that irc is for illegal things and not for chat have NEVER used irc.. they just hear it here and there and just reproduce that..

Yes there are some networks/channels that share illegal files but can you tell me that there aren't PRIVATE forums doing the same? come on.. don't act like kids..

Nowadays i here all the more about attacks on web sites and not on irc nicks/bots/servers.. and what is also important is that the few 3-4 years i hear more about botnets evolving via msn and torrent programs rather than irc..

I would be more scared if someone told me that i want a server to run a private forum than a ircd.

Quote Originally Posted by D3m0n View Post
    99% of the users saying that irc is for illegal things and not for chat have NEVER used irc.. they just hear it here and there and just reproduce that..

Yes there are some networks/channels that share illegal files but can you tell me that there aren't PRIVATE forums doing the same? come on.. don't act like kids..

Nowadays i here all the more about attacks on web sites and not on irc nicks/bots/servers.. and what is also important is that the few 3-4 years i hear more about botnets evolving via msn and torrent programs rather than irc..

I would be more scared if someone told me that i want a server to run a private forum than a ircd.
    Yeah right then why do so many hosts not allow irc traffic? Might as well allow irc traffic and not http

i can find too many hosts allowing irc.. there are very few hosts that don't permit it.. and most of them don't permit linking in big networks and shell hosting.. however, they allow to have your own bnc/bot/ircd.. (like the planet for example)

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
    quite funny, I think your eyes was looking a part of IRC world.
    IRC being uses for chat, share file and even uses as company support place.

why any company were not allowed IRC?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast