General Nameserver Creation Question

I couldn't find the answer to this listed so I'm gonna go ahead and ask. If it's already been answered, please just direct me to the relevant page.

A little necessary background:
    With 1and1 I do the following to create name servers:

I take mydomain.com and create two sudomains each pointing to an IP that leads to my VPS:
    ns1.mydomain.com pointing to IP1
    ns2.mydomain.com pointing to IP2

Now in WHM I tell it that it will be managing DNS on the following domains with the following IPs:
    ns1.mydomain.com - IP1
    ns2.mydomain.com - IP2

At this point I can go back to my 1and1 control panel and change the dns nameservers on mydomain.com to point to (this way I have full control over the domain):
    ns1.mydomain.com
    ns2.mydomain.com

This method used to work just fine. It no longer does...

Would it be possible instead to skip that process and just point mydomain.com to my my datacenter DNS server, and get the datacenter to put in the info into their name server to forward mydomain.com to my main server IP address. Then on my server configure setup the following subdomains:
    ns1.mydomain.com - IP1
    ns2.mydomain.com - IP2
    ??

The reason I ask is I need to get the subdomains:
    ns1.mydomain.com &
    ns2.mydomain.com
    to go to lead to my new server IP. Currently it's been about a week and 1and1 cant seem to get the job done. I've changed the old ip on both subdomains to the new IP in the control pannel, got nothing. Called them on the phone, submitted multiple tickets that have been escalated, and all I get back is, and I quote:

"Your sub domain is now updated.
    ns1.xxx.com. 14400 IN A 207.43.47.xx"

Which is the same ip address I had before, not the new one I've been trying to update to!

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get these guys to update my damn sub domains, a good 10 clients are experiencing downtime cause these subdomains wont point to the correct IP addresses!

God I hate 1and1. Worst mistake I ever made buying into their service....
    Last edited by wwwc21; 06-17-2009 at 10:53 PM.

I hope all of that made sense. Please let me know if you need any clarification.

You can always point ns1.yourdomain.tld and ns2.yourdomain.tld to the NS records of your host without asking them (assuming you have access to their control panel to make DNS updates). You're just making aliases to their nameservers and in doing so, it's the same as putting their NS records.

So let's say your domain is example.com. Your host has NS records of ns1.host.com and ns2.host.com. You can point ns1.example to the IP address of ns1.host.com and ns2.example.com to ns2.host.com and your site will still resolve.

- Ryan M., Support Engineer @ HostMySite.com

That doesnt help my situation.

I have many clients who dont have access to their domains any longer without faxing in a copy of their drivers license, filling out paper work and waiting 5 days (which doctors, business owners and such are not happy to do). If you've been business long enough you'll understand the thousands of reasons why this can happen.

The easier solution is to get my subdomains pointing to the correct IP addresses, yet this seems impossible beacuse no matter what I do 1and1 will not propagate. No matter how many times I escalate the ticket, call, email, etc. They do nothing.

I think however, if I change the dns settings on the domain itself it might work. Which brings me back to my original question.

Would it be possible instead to skip that process and just point mydomain.com to my my datacenter DNS server, and get the datacenter to put in the info into their name server to forward mydomain.com to my main server IP address. Then on my server configure setup the following subdomains:
    ns1.mydomain.com - IP1
    ns2.mydomain.com - IP2

When both IP1 and IP2 point back to my server??

Anyways, I ended up giving this a shot. It worked just fine.