best host that allows best % of cpu usage

Which host company you think is the best in terms of allowing a good % of the cpu on shared plan,

so far i have found the following

bluehost not exceed %50 for more than 30 Sec.
    hostgator %25 for 60 Sec.
    webhostingpad %10 for 30 Sec.

what is the % of cpu allowed on your host?
    Last edited by manhal; 05-04-2009 at 07:45 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Heres how I see it * the more you pay the more cpu you get* and if you need anything over 10% cpu get a vps
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.
      0 Not allowed!

bluehost claims that they allow %50 of cpu usage on their plan (shared), but in reality I am not sure how much is this true?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by darkeden View Post
    Heres how I see it * the more you pay the more cpu you get* and if you need anything over 10% cpu get a vps
    yupps....anything else and your coat would be hanging on a shakey nail.

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

Look into higher quality and more expensive hosting plans such as MediaLayer.
      0 Not allowed!

There is no gurantee really regarding the cpu usage, The only way you can determine the CPU usage is by purchasing a dedicated server. Even in VPS, there is a cpu limit, though it should be much higher than the conventional shared/reseller hosting.
    Mellowhost - Providing High Quality Web Hosting Services since 2007
    SSD Cpanel Shared, SSD OpenVZ & KVM VPS Hosting
    A Hosting Provider with Complete SSD VPS & Shared Hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

The question is what happens when you hit that? Are you allowed to go over with a warning? Is the CPU throttled at the application level? Linux? Windows?

Only sloppy developers need that much cpu on a shared hosting-size site.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Only sloppy developers need that much cpu on a shared hosting-size site.
    Or you could simply be having a traffic spike (Digg, etc.).
      0 Not allowed!

if you can get 50% cpu usage, thats dig for the entire day and you should be know where near shared hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Seeing as 'you are not allowed to discuss your own company here', I will say there are hosts the same as Hostgator, I think 25% upto 120 Seconds
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars
      0 Not allowed!

I guess I'm old school. I think you can have as much as you want as long as no one notices.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ
      0 Not allowed!

i second this, using anything more than that is being greedy and will affect other users on the server. Personally i think 5% is a fair limit, especially when you look at the current spec of servers
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk
      0 Not allowed!

I guess I'm old school. I think you can have as much as you want as long as no one notices.
    Just like you can use as much disk space as long as nobody notices? Life just doesn't work that way, people will submit tickets and hosts will notice if you cause high loads and high CPU.
      0 Not allowed!

I think you can have as much as you want as long as no one notices.
    Unless the host is either having a routine manual checkup of their servers or if CPU usage threshold is setup at an application level.

Rick
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk
      0 Not allowed!

Most hosts have it listed in their resource abuse policy under their AUP.

The average I see is 20% per domain/file/application.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915
      0 Not allowed!

Agree 100% with the first part. But if you're consistently using over 10% of a typical (high-spec) shared server then a small dedicated would probably make more sense than the typical VPS.

I think that's probably true for many hosts. The trouble is, even if the host isn't monitoring closely, with hundreds of other users on the server it probably won't be long before someone notices...

The simple answer is you can't expect to compare different hosts' ToS and get any kind of meaningful guide to how much cpu you'll be allowed. Even if you see "x% for x seconds", is that x% of a Xeon dual quad or x% of a P4? And how are they measuring that x% anyway? If you think you'll be using a lot of cpu, look for hosts with a good reputation whose prices are high enough to cover the sort of usage you have in mind.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter
      0 Not allowed!

I think that's probably true for many hosts.
    Indeed, and sometimes many of the stated limitations are not actually hard limits, but more like guidelines for customers, and for "we told you so" reasons.

Also, 50%, 25%, 10% usage can only be there for you if sufficient other customers are not using this "right" at the same time. It also doesn't mean that you can use 5% constantly ad infinitum.

Like darkeden said, "the more you pay the more cpu you get", which I would even change a bit into "the more you pay the more likely you are to get more cpu".
      0 Not allowed!

different hosting has different policies. Sometime very hard to figure out which one best suit your needs.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    Agree 100% with the first part. But if you're consistently using over 10% of a typical (high-spec) shared server then a small dedicated would probably make more sense than the typical VPS.
    I can find a good shared server with a good % of cpu for less than $10 per month, can I find something similar with a small dedicated and same price range? probably not

I think that's probably true for many hosts. The trouble is, even if the host isn't monitoring closely, with hundreds of other users on the server it probably won't be long before someone notices...
    I can not imagine if there are companies looking at the clients cpu usage manually (especially if the company is big), there should be a lot of host-tools to do such kind of monitoring automatically and give them a report of who used more

The simple answer is you can't expect to compare different hosts' ToS and get any kind of meaningful guide to how much cpu you'll be allowed. Even if you see "x% for x seconds", is that x% of a Xeon dual quad or x% of a P4? And how are they measuring that x% anyway?
    I was wondering about the same thing, do they tell you what kind of cpu they are using and how they measure it ?
    It could be a company with max %25 cpu better than another one with max %50 depending on the cpu-type

If you think you'll be using a lot of cpu, look for hosts with a good reputation whose prices are high enough to cover the sort of usage you have in mind.
    I was always under the impression that higher price means better service but in reality with my own experience this is not always true ...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by manhal View Post
    Which host company you think is the best in terms of allowing a good % of the cpu on shared plan,

so far i have found the following

bluehost not exceed %50 for more than 30 Sec.
    hostgator %25 for 60 Sec.
    webhostingpad %10 for 30 Sec.

what is the % of cpu allowed on your host?
    Bluehost has hard limits. Hostgator does not. I don't know about Webhostingpad.

So you are comparing grapes to coconuts concerning the actual CPU usage limits imposed by the hosts you listed.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by manhal View Post
    I can find a good shared server with a good % of cpu for less than $10 per month, can I find something similar with a small dedicated and same price range? probably not
    Agreed. Which means that the $10 shared account is a bargain, until the host notices your usage and politely asks you to upgrade or move on...

I was always under the impression that higher price means better service but in reality with my own experience this is not always true ...
    No, but the combination of a higher price and a good reputation usually gives a fair indication.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter
      0 Not allowed!