DNS issues on LOCAL network

Okay, so here's the issue. I've been searching for a solution for about a week now, and just can't seem to find any information. The company that I work for had me switch their site live so I went through and changed the DNS information and pointed the A records to the new server running an online store. I waited and waited and waited for the propagation to finish so I could keep working on developing the site. I talked to our hosting company and they assured me that they were being pointed to the new server and there was no issue. I changed the DNS on my own computer to point to openDNS and I could see that it did in fact change.

We are now two weeks into the change and we can still not view the site from our network. I am in need of any ideas you can give me! If you ping the site with the default DNS server you receive the old IP Address but if you ping it with the openDNS IP in place, you receive the IP of the new server. I've gone through and run a /flushdns, /release, and /renew. I am working from a mac so advice geared towards this would be helpful however, I do have access to several machines running XP.

Again, the site has propagated across the internet, just not in our office.

I look forward to and appreciate any insight that you can offer with all of your eclectic wisdom.

thank you.

Are you running your own DNS servers in your office or are you using your ISP's DNS servers? It's obvious that the DNS servers your workstations are using are not picking up on the DNS change for some reason.

Yeah, I was pretty sure that that was the issue, I'm just not sure how to fix it. As far as I know, we are not running our own DNS servers, we are using our ISP's DNS servers.

Sounds like you have not changed nameserver info at registrar. But the only way to check what is going on from here is to get your domain name. Until I know the name there is not much help I can provide.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Sounds like you have not changed nameserver info at registrar. But the only way to check what is going on from here is to get your domain name. Until I know the name there is not much help I can provide.
    If you can possibly explain to me how it sounds like that, I'd like to understand your thought process. If that were the case wouldn't it mean that the new site wouldn't be accessible anywhere? Not just here in this office?

Domain name is eurogourmet.biz

If I ping it I get the old IP if I have our default ISP provided DNS IP in.
    If I ping it I get the new IP if I have the DNS pointed to OpenDNS' Servers instead.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

rad.

I must have misunderstood. Please clarify:

Do you have a site at two hosts? From the office you see site at old host, but outside you see at new host?

I see site with nameservers for networksolutions and webiste hosted at HostMySite, IP=76.12.189.130

Is this the "new" site?

Where is DNS being managed?

Yes, it is hosted at 2 different servers.

And Yes, this is the new site.

However, in our offices we're still pointing to the OLD IP.

Does that make sense at all?
    The whole situation is thoroughly confusing and baffling. I've been searching and searching and just can NOT find a solution or a cause.

It is possible that your ISP's dns servers have not updated. Have you called them and ask them to force an update? Is ISP outside of US?

With tcp config set for isp, run ipconfig and post ISP dns server here.

That's what I thought, so I called them (them being Verizon) and asked them and they said that there was nothing that they could do and we would just have to wait it out cause sometimes these things happen, but the change was made on the server 2-3 weeks ago...

is it possible to run the ipconfig from my mac or do I need to go to one of the PCs?

From PC command prompt run

>ipconfig /all

Let me know if you have your tcp config set for automaitcally obtain ip/dhcp or you have hard coded verizon dns servers
    Last edited by Collabora; 10-16-2009 at 01:52 PM.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : WS1
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : eurogourmet.com
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : eurogourmet.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
    for hp
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-CD-DF-C2-FC
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.163
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:25:07 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:25:07
    AM

Okay there is the information. I did notice that it has eurogourmet.com in there, we don't actually own that domain, idk if that could be affecting anything or not. Please let me know if that was what you needed...

Oh, and it's set to Auto.

It seems the problem is on your local network. Your PC is looking at your internal corp dns server for the answer. At this point you should contact your network admin or whover admininsters your corp dns server. Perhaps its just a matter of changing/adding an A record in the dns server.

The 192.168.0.2 server is most likely a domain controller in your network environment. I bet this domain controller had a DNS zone for the domain in question, and you would need to have the DNS records updated there so your local machines can resolve the correct IP. If your domain controller contains local zone files for domains, it will use the local zone instead of getting the zone details from the authoratative nameservers for the domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Secter View Post
    The 192.168.0.2 server is most likely a domain controller in your network environment. I bet this domain controller had a DNS zone for the domain in question, and you would need to have the DNS records updated there so your local machines can resolve the correct IP. If your domain controller contains local zone files for domains, it will use the local zone instead of getting the zone details from the authoratative nameservers for the domain.
    That sounds brilliant and what I thought was going on but couldn't figure out what everything was called. Now the million dollar question, how do i fix it?

That all depends on your current network and windows server configuration. You don't have an IT person?

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    That all depends on your current network and windows server configuration. You don't have an IT person?
    Yeah the company does, it's an outside IT person though, I just was curious as to whether there was a fairly straightforward simple fix that I could just take care of it so that I can work start working again sooner rather than later.

If your domain controller actually has a local zone file for the domain, you would need to login to the 192.168.0.2 server, goto the DNS Management MMC, find the zone file for the domain, and update the A/CNAME records accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by seerad View Post
    Yeah the company does, it's an outside IT person though, I just was curious as to whether there was a fairly straightforward simple fix that I could just take care of it so that I can work start working again sooner rather than later.
    A workaround would be to edit your HOSTS file. It can be found in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Just use the localhost entry as an example and add the lines for your new website:

76.12.189.130 eurogourmet.com
    76.12.189.130 www.eurogourmet.com

It may be that you have this entry for the old site and forgot. If so, just change IP address

I am not familiar with the Mac equivalent of this operation

yeah, i guess at this point I'll just need to wait on our IT guy. I don't have the access I need to the server right now. And though your workaround may work, I don't want to have to do that to EVERY computer on our network... I'll just continue going through openDNS and that should work.

You don't have to do it to every computer, just the one you are working from. Using opendns may prevent you from accessing local network resources. Its up to you

Well, if you really can't fix it yourself, there's always a simpler way to your problem. You could just try hiring someone like a freelancer. At least you could have assurance that they know what they are doing while you could relax a bit(if you hire the right one). Try looking at getafreelancer.com

Please follow thread

Quote Originally Posted by seerad View Post
    yeah, i guess at this point I'll just need to wait on our IT guy.

How about putting the OpenDNS servers in your router. **** the ISP's DNS.
    iWebFusion.Net - Shared / Reseller / VPS / Bare Metal / Colocation / IP Transit / Networking
    *Simply Hosting - Wholly owned networks, in-house staff, legions of fans!