Thread: Rsync VS R1Soft

Whats the big different among those 2?

Resource drain.
    Rsync is a pig. r1soft is not.
    Bailey

Pig? How much resource does Rsync use?

If you have the sysadmin skills or someone can do it for you, you can learn how to effectively use rsync for backups / sync between hosts (load balanced or not).
    I personally invested time on learning rsync *over ssh* in order to not use rsync daemons and I could recover servers from disasters, so that works for me.
    Hope it helps.
    Regards,
    Juan

I see.. Thanks. After some calculations, I think I am going with BQBackup, since it will be way more expensive if I do it myself..

you have to be kidding me, they arent even in the same category. Have you tried read any of r1softs articles? http://www.r1soft.com/products/cdp-server-20/what-is-cdp/
    rsync definitely has its place and same with r1soft. If your looking at server backups (mission critical servers), then r1soft is definitely what you want (lan based backups only).

R1Soft is so expensive!!! But we can get a good deal at Gigenet..

Pig? How much resource does Rsync use?
    usually goes from 0 to 2.5-3.0 at peak times on quad cores.
    r1soft does it all silently.

You mean on the server that the backup files were at or the server where the original files were?

Im fairly certain by Silently he means silently on your server you are backing up.
    Check out this technical article about backup technology.
    http://wiki.r1soft.com/x/aQEu
    The article explains how all backup applications work only one of several ways including rsync and r1soft. You can learn the differences and be able to judge the performance and server load impact of really any backup applications once you learn to identify the fundamental differences and ways the technology work.
    Why Server Backups Can be Very Painful
    http://wiki.r1soft.com/x/oAcu
    The major differences between R1Soft and rsync (please read the articles above to see how these terms are defined):
    R1Soft CDP is Block based backups - rsync is file based
    R1Soft CDP uses a device driver and CDP method (what makes it CDP) for computing Deltas - rsync uses a combination of checksums and file attributes.
    Deltas in case it wasn't clear are what parts of what files or part sof your disk that have changed since your last backup.
    R1Soft uses a Virtual Full backup method - rsync is kind of an incremental backup method especially when coupled with hard link scripts that allow rsync to have multiple incrementals.
    There is a BIG difference between Virtual Full backups and Incrementals.

I see. Thanks
    But regarding the price.. hmm

FYI some Facts regarding price.
    R1Soft has a special place in its heart for hosting companies.
    1) If you are a hosting company (I presume you are on WHT ) you can join their hosting partner program and get 1/2 off all add-ons like MySQL and archiving.
    2) The CDP Server component is included free and you can run as many as you like
    3) Most people resell the solution or on some way like value add tie it to bottom line revenue growth and they have a number of customers that pay for the solution in the first 3-6 months with revenue growth
    4) If you are buying in Volume... most hosting businesses that are serious about making money have more than just 1 or 2 servers.... ask R1Soft sales folks about volume discounts and plans where you pay by month instead of all upfront.
    5) R1Soft includes upgrades. You will Not have to re-buy to get version 3 or version X etc like many products
    6) Once you own the license you own it. You have zero software cost. And unlike hardware which looses value over time a R1Soft gains value over time as the product improves.
    I recently saw an article about a hosting company acquisition touting a R1Soft license as a motivation for the acquisition.
    http://www.thewhir.com/marketwatch/102208_Landis_Holdings_Buys_Hosting_Zoom.cfm

I don't really understand it now, maybe because I feel sleepy now.. I'll check it tomorrow

I backup several VPSs and servers, at 6am everyday, over 150GB of data and it takes less than 20min with little load.
    I would like to try r1Soft but it does not VPSs.

Does not VPS??

FYI some Facts regarding price.
    R1Soft has a special place in its heart for hosting companies.
    1) If you are a hosting company (I presume you are on WHT ) you can join their hosting partner program and get 1/2 off all add-ons like MySQL and archiving.
    2) The CDP Server component is included free and you can run as many as you like
    3) Most people resell the solution or on some way like value add tie it to bottom line revenue growth and they have a number of customers that pay for the solution in the first 3-6 months with revenue growth
    4) If you are buying in Volume... most hosting businesses that are serious about making money have more than just 1 or 2 servers.... ask R1Soft sales folks about volume discounts and plans where you pay by month instead of all upfront.
    5) R1Soft includes upgrades. You will Not have to re-buy to get version 3 or version X etc like many products
    6) Once you own the license you own it. You have zero software cost. And unlike hardware which looses value over time a R1Soft gains value over time as the product improves.
    I recently saw an article about a hosting company acquisition touting a R1Soft license as a motivation for the acquisition.
    http://www.thewhir.com/marketwatch/102208_Landis_Holdings_Buys_Hosting_Zoom.cfm
    Why are you referring to R1Soft as a third party, you work for the company, don't you?

Why are you referring to R1Soft as a third party, you work for the company, don't you?
    Did I just noticed that?

usually goes from 0 to 2.5-3.0 at peak times on quad cores.
    r1soft does it all silently.
    This graph demonstrates a client server going from rsync "nightly" to r1soft "hourly"...see for yourself.

Did I just noticed that?
    Hehe that would be hard to do especially when there is a -r1soft in the username don't you guys think?
    David Wartell is our original founder and others that have spoke to him on the phone or in person know the excitement that overcomes him when he speaks about the r1soft solutions.
    Speaking about R1Soft in 3rd party as you mention is what has allowed us to provide the solutions we provide today by looking from "outwards in" not "inwards out" we put ourselves in your positions and develop upon your needs. Hope this helps explain why it would seem that way.
    At any rate if anyone is interested in trying for yourself visit our site for free "NO QUESTIONS ASKED" INSTANT download.

This is the one I wanted to post originally. From another client.

This is the one I wanted to post originally. From another client.
    Link to actual post: http://www.hawkhost.com/blog/2008/07/09/r1soft-making-a-difference/
    We've been using it to backup cPanel machines and also VPS nodes. It's well worth the price for us just in terms of how much more frequently we can snapshot systems. Our customers also make use of it to restore files so as a result we have less tickets about backups. The ones we do still get about backups we point them at the R1Soft link in their control panel and they're able to easily restore files with the easy to use interface.
    I've also recommended it to customers of ours who we just provide management services for.
    One customer was using it to backup databases which they were having issues with doing previously. They were only doing it daily due to mysql tools causing high load and also resulted in table locks quite often which would knock services off line very fast. They're now doing backups every hour and it's not even noticable. They also use it to backup web, dns and svn servers all without any issues.

R1Soft is so expensive!!! But we can get a good deal at Gigenet..
    $29/month for 40 GB at an Enterprise-class facility? That is not that expensive --
    especially when you consider the monetary cost of the resource drain of rsync (that is physical resources you cannot sell to customers, because those resources are unavailable when rsync runs),
    plus the extra functionality r1soft buys you (customers can do their own restores = less tech costs and happier customers).
    r1soft is very much within the budgetary scope of even small hosting companies ... or at least those which take backups seriously.
    Bailey

Thanks everybody for providing me with the clear informations