Question How long for new domains to take effect?

I am a total newbie, and just signed up for the 1and1.com free hosting service. (Yeah, I know, maybe not the best idea...)

They had domain registration available through their setup process, so I went ahead and used them to register the domain that I wanted. Figured this would be faster than registering elsewhere then trying to transfer.

Does anyone have any idea of how long it will take for this domain to "take effect" so that I can actually set up my web site?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!

I assume that you're talking about how long it takes for DNS to resolve? If 1and1 does this for you...as they probably do...resolution can take 12-36 hours...sometimes but very rarely longer. Usually it falls within the 12-24 hour range depending on your ISP.

It shouldnt take too long. 48-72 hours usually.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Re: How long for new domains to take effect?

Originally posted by Qaz123Wsx
    I am a total newbie, and just signed up for the 1and1.com free hosting service. (Yeah, I know, maybe not the best idea...)

They had domain registration available through their setup process, so I went ahead and used them to register the domain that I wanted. Figured this would be faster than registering elsewhere then trying to transfer.

Does anyone have any idea of how long it will take for this domain to "take effect" so that I can actually set up my web site?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!
    add their nameserver as your primary dns server in your network config and your domain will begin resolving immediately!

I went ahead and used them to register the domain that I wanted.

Very bad idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Next time use someone like godaddy.com for example.
    Be Happy!

.au (Australia) domains now resolve immediately, which is fantastic for clients.
    Web Hosting since 1999

We see usually under 24 hours in Toronto. Can take upto 4 days however.

Aragon is on the right track ...

if you jsut want to get onto setting up your site then set your primary DNS to the IP of the nameserver of the host. To do this this on W2k you select the properties of the connection you are getting your net thru, click on TCP/IP, click properties and then enter the IP of the name server in the primary DNS. (prefered DNS) ...

then in 24 hrs change it back to how it was : )

Regards,
    Jim Smith
    m6.net
    Windows Webhosting thats fast, reliable and flexible

The domain thing should start working soon - mine was up after about 12-13 hours. (i used godaddy)

Total newbie on 1and1.com .

I was not a newbie and getting the siteup with 1and1 was kinna confusing and slow. But If you can successfuly go through that frustrating phase and manage to get your site going - their service is very reliable.

Good luck!