Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't delete my credit card information from a host

Can't find it anywhere. Tried a few ways but every time I tried to scramble my card details, the system automatically try to verify it and if the information is incorrect, they'd refuse the modification......It seems they are probably intentional to not include the option for deleting my credit card information.

Is this legal?

If I request my credit card information to be deleted, are they legally bound to do that for me?

If they refuse to do that what are my options?

I was afraid that they may keep billing me after I have canceled my plan.

It's not a normal host but a eCommerce SaaS platform. Signed up with their $25 / month plan a few days ago but it turned out to be very ugly - lost faith in them and wanted to go away yet this comment from this review is pretty scaring:

This is just an example of the tickets I’ve been opening on Magento Go with no reply, zero, zilch:

Hi,

This is my 5th attempt at getting you to STOP charging my visa for my CANCELLED store. I would also request a refund for the funds taken WITHOUT authorization.

This will be my last “ticket” and my next move will be to get a lawyer and take extra effort to post reviews of your service everywhere I can.

I love to support start-ups, but this service is terrible.

Andrea
    Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by yangyang2036 View Post
    If they refuse to do that what are my options?
    You could call your credit card company, cancel the card and get a new one.
    CrocWeb Cloud - High Availability Cloud Website Hosting
    > NVMe Storage, LSCache, Redis, Global CDN, Unlimited SSL
    > Triple Data Replication, Automated Server Failover
    > Bad Bots, Malware, DDoS Protection

Quote Originally Posted by CrocWeb View Post
    You could call your credit card company, cancel the card and get a new one.
    That would be the hard way to go, why not call the bank and get them to prevent any debits from that company instead?

Going through a cancellation and getting a new card is more hassles than it is really worth!
    l Dedigeeks • Shared • Wordpress • Dedicated • Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider • Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com • Managing Director • Service Superstars

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    That would be the hard way to go, why not call the bank and get them to prevent any debits from that company instead?

Going through a cancellation and getting a new card is more hassles than it is really worth!
    Seriously, guys, so they can keep my CC details as long as they want? I have no call on this legally?

why not call the bank and get them to prevent any debits from that company instead?
    This process cannot be applied to Credit Cards, the automatic payments are from the merchant
    They then need to be disputed once processed

As there is a contract in place, a method of payment probably needs to remain in place, see the Terms of the Contract
    Usually this includes at least one payment method type
    If you have a current account you may be able to add this
    Once completed you should then be able to remove the Credit Card
    You can then place a block on the current account, to refuse any automated payments from that merchant

Some Credit Card providers also charge for replacement cards
    Equally, the replacement can often be identical unless you ask for a new CCV to be applied after explaining the situation
    M8 INTERNET : Simple and cost effective website hosting from the UK
    M8 INTERNET : Google Ads Account Management

This process cannot be applied to Credit Cards, the automatic payments are from the merchant
    They then need to be disputed once processed
    I've called my bank in the past and they managed to do it for me
    l Dedigeeks • Shared • Wordpress • Dedicated • Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider • Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com • Managing Director • Service Superstars

What I would do is to leave it in place and then simply request a chargeback each and every time they processed your card. This would force them to remove you as a client since it is bad for business to have chargebacks. Problem solved.
    If you're the smartest person in the room then you're in the wrong room

@OP- The best and fastest way to stop this, is to replace your Credit Card info with a Credit Card Test Number. Their system will let you change your card to another card if you wish, using a test number from Visa for example will let you take your info out of their system and replace it with a test number. You can find some HERE.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee U.S.A Based & Operated
    Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

why not call the bank and get them to prevent any debits from that company instead?
    Because it's not possible.
    You have to cancel a card and get a new number re-issued.

Not really. Standard banking practice is to cancel and re-issue in scenarios like this one. These are considered fraudulent transactions, and the bank doesn't want to have any repeat incidents of chargebacks. Mention that the vendor has all your card details and is acting shady, and you'd like to prevent further fraud by having a new card issued.

Quote Originally Posted by cpoalmighty View Post
    What I would do is to leave it in place and then simply request a chargeback each and every time they processed your card. This would force them to remove you as a client since it is bad for business to have chargebacks. Problem solved.
    This is horrible advice. Don't do this. Your bank will refuse to cooperate.

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    Some Credit Card providers also charge for replacement cards
    I've never heard of this. Maybe if you lose a card multiple times, but not if you're victim of fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by HostLeet View Post
    @OP- The best and fastest way to stop this, is to replace your Credit Card info with a Credit Card Test Number.
    If the retailer collects historical data (and many do), then this is futile.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

If you requested your account to be cancelled they should remove your credit card details from their system. If for some reason they don't do it, best thing is to just cancel that credit card then.
    They call me the bread baker

Once you give someone, anyone, your credit card details, it's a done deal. There are no do overs.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Because it's not possible.
    Why its impossible? If we call our bank, they will stop payments to that particular company. However, it depends on bank or CC company.
    HostinPK.com
    [US/UK] Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting
    cPanel/CWP | Softaculous | WHMCS | Dedicated IP | SSL
    We accept PayPal, 2checkout, Credit Cards, and Bank payments

As there is a contract in place, a method of payment probably needs to remain in place, see the Terms of the Contract
    Usually this includes at least one payment method type
    If you have a current account you may be able to add this
    Once completed you should then be able to remove the Credit Card
    You can then place a block on the current account, to refuse any automated payments from that merchant
    Thanks! I signed no long term contract with them, see here: http://go.magento.com/plans/ at the bottom:
    Q: Is There a Contract?
    Magento Go plans are offered on a month-to-month basis. There are no contracts to sign and you can cancel at any time.
    I'll try to change the CCV though.

@OP- The best and fastest way to stop this, is to replace your Credit Card info with a Credit Card Test Number. Their system will let you change your card to another card if you wish, using a test number from Visa for example will let you take your info out of their system and replace it with a test number. You can find some HERE.
    Thanks a lot for the tip. Please see attached images.

1.png is where I can click "Edit" to edit my credit card details. It then goes to the page 2.png.
    2.png is the "Edit" page. There are no place to edit the credit card numbers at all. If I scramble other details such as name on card or expiration date and click "Update", it give me an error as shown in 3.png.
    3.png is the error.

They have made it practically impossible for me to erase my credit card information and I'm not in a contract with them at all.

If you requested your account to be cancelled they should remove your credit card details from their system. If for some reason they don't do it, best thing is to just cancel that credit card then.
    It sucks. I'll keep you guys updated on whether Magento Go keeps charging me after I have CANCELLED my plan - which I will do in a few days, before the current billing period ends. The first charge was 4 days ago. They are pretty rigid in allowing the customers to update their credit card information. Something's probably not right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.png   2.png   3.png  

If the retailer collects historical data (and many do), then this is futile.
    I've never heard of ANY retailer (or host for that matter), that after you have replaced the credit card details on file with a new card, will attempt to charge the old card instead of the new card which has replaced the old card.. OP - Just replace your credit card details with a test card number, problem fixed. If they still keep trying to charge you, they will not get a dime anyhow, and I really doubt they will go back and try to charge your old card after you have replaced its info with a new card.

Also, if you don't see an option to edit the current details, simply add a NEW card using the test number and once it is added to their system it will most likely allow you to erase the old one.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee U.S.A Based & Operated
    Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

I've never heard of ANY retailer (or host for that matter), that after you have replaced the credit card details on file with a new card, will attempt to charge the old card instead of the new card which has replaced the old card.. OP - Just replace your credit card details with a test card number, problem fixed. If they still keep trying to charge you, they will not get a dime anyhow, and I really doubt they will go back and try to charge your old card after you have replaced its info with a new card.

Also, if you don't see an option to edit the current details, simply add a NEW card using the test number and once it is added to their system it will most likely allow you to erase the old one.
    eh http://i.imgur.com/tOBVT.png

I've never heard of ANY retailer (or host for that matter), that after you have replaced the credit card details on file with a new card, will attempt to charge the old card
    Then I can only say you've not been around online business long enough. Trust me, keeping historical data is quite common. Though most would never use this information as anything other than evidence (if needed), an unscrupulous organization could easily misuse the information. So if you don't trust a company, cancel the card. Otherwise it's not 100% safe (as close as you can get to 100%, at least).

Quote Originally Posted by jamshed_11946 View Post
    Why its impossible? If we call our bank, they will stop payments to that particular company. However, it depends on bank or CC company.
    It's not that it's not "possible" as much as it's against standardized banking practices. Card issuers like Visa and Mastercard have novel-length policies that deal with chargebacks, including all of the various scenarios therein. You simply cannot put a "block" in place like you do with a telephone number.

I have a fairly detailed understanding of the banking industry.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Nope in here this is illegal they have to provide a way for you to modify it (or at verry least do it on your request) and they cannot use your card without your (cardowner) authorization.If they do call your bank (the one that issued the card) and have all unauthorized payments reversed also they should NEVER display your complete cc number (only last four digits) and they should state in there terms to who that information is viewable
    Last edited by cpanellover; 10-07-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yangyang2036 View Post
    Seriously, guys, so they can keep my CC details as long as they want? I have no call on this legally?
    Try and change the credit card to 4921111111111111, this is the Mastercard test number, while it passes the LUHN Formula, it will always come back as a declined card, unless they have left their credit card gateway in "testing" mode.
    This account is no longer active!

I can't add it unless it's a valid card. See attached images.

Tried to add a new make-believe card of "John Doe" by clicking "Add New Credit Card" in 1.png, and it brought me to 4.png. Clicked "Save" in 4.png and it's that verification error again, in 5.png.

Can't believe it. Magento is simply bullet proof in disabling the customers to erase their CC!

Try and change the credit card to 4921111111111111, this is the Mastercard test number, while it passes the LUHN Formula, it will always come back as a declined card, unless they have left their credit card gateway in "testing" mode.
    Thanks a lot! Tried it and they didn't buy it...

Nope in here this is illegal they have to provide a way for you to modify it (or at verry least do it on your request) and they cannot use your card without your (cardowner) authorization.If they do call your bank (the one that issued the card) and have all unauthorized payments reversed also they should NEVER display your complete cc number (only last four digits) and they should state in there terms to who that information is viewable
    I sent a support ticket AND a collaboration question: http://collaborate.magento.com/magen...in_your_system

And after 18 hours as of now, NO one got back to me. This is the kind of support you receive at Magento Go, the reason why I decided to cancel....

Fingers crossed how they actually would respond to my question or IF they would delete my CC as per my request..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.png   4.png   5.png  
    Last edited by yangyang2036; 10-07-2011 at 09:01 PM.

I didn't see if you did (maybe I missed it) but did you contact the provider and ask them to remove the details manually?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,800 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I didn't see if you did (maybe I missed it) but did you contact the provider and ask them to remove the details manually?
    Thanks Mike for asking. I did, just didn't mention it on the posts until the very last which I posted a few minutes ago.

I sent a support ticket asking for removal of my CC details AND a question at here 18 hours ago: http://collaborate.magento.com/magen...in_your_system

Still waiting for a reply. No one got back to me thus far. May soon find out.

Sounds good, some providers simply do not allow you to remove the details yourself so that you have to contact them to do it. Many instead of canceling just quit paying and removing a card is a leading way to do that.

If you force them to contact you to remove the details you can, at that point, ask them if they wish to discontinue the service so you can process the cancellation if you feel that may be what they are doing.

It takes years of experience to be able to read that sort of thing from a text based medium, however.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,800 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Then I can only say you've not been around online business long enough. Trust me, keeping historical data is quite common.

I have a fairly detailed understanding of the banking industry.
    I pray you do not, believe it or not. According to the essay my bank handed me with my merchant services agreement, keeping the PAN beyond the length of time needed to process a payment is a violation of PCI DSS, and is grounds for immediate termination of my agreement. If the card is not needed for charging purposes, keeping it at all violates the security standards.

All billing systems will check if the # is even valid, there's a algorithm to it. I would say go google the algorithm and put up a new number, but it's also likely you could put in someone else's legit # and could get you into trouble.

Best course of action is to call your bank and have them block that company from charging you and file a complaint with them as they are in violation of their charge agreements with the processor. Assuming you put in a request in writing or through their system that shows you cancelled your service.

Quote Originally Posted by FRCorey View Post
    call your bank and have them block that company from charging you
    Again: THIS CANNOT BE DONE.
    Stop suggesting it.

A credit card company is unable to block companies in the same way that you could block phone numbers. If you need to block a charge from an existing company that is creating fraudulent transactions, cancellation and re-issue of the card is the only way to prevent further charges. Most companies learn their lesson after a chargeback, but there are amateur businesses out there who wish to waste your time (and endanger their own ability to process cards).

__

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast