Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Perl

I think the gap between Perl & PHP is becoming less and less with each new version, PHP is OK, but I think because I learned Perl first its always the language I will go to when I need something done, its just a perl

PS - I would put money on the fact that perl will be around for years and years and years to come and will not die

And once again, I dont doubt that PHP is growing, but that doesnt mean perl is dieing. PHP may be an easier language for newbies (who shouldnt be programming in the first place j/k )

AND as a website interface language, php may be easier, but perl is still the more all-around powerful language
    Avi B

Originally posted by MaB
    Show me proof perl is dieing? I dont argue that PHP is growing VERY fast, but you cant show me proof is dieing which is an un-educated statement.

The fact that there are more php threads means there are more newbies (or advanced programmers) with questions about PHP (which supporst its growing fast - i dont argue with that) but doesnt make it better.

And that junk about perl not going along with MySQL? whats that based on? SimpleCP is all perl + mysql. So is my billing software and my client management software.

We worry about sendmail paths and such because we have the power to do what we need.

And what you said about php being useful in web hosting scripts, is just BS. For web based ones, you may have a point but command line and batch jobs that make our lives easier? no way. I can think of 100's of times ive used perl shell scripts to save me hours of time

Your statement about perl dieing is simply wrong. Your comment about php growing fast is correct i beleive.

Where are your facts? Youve only provided the number of threads on each topic which just shows people need more help with PHP...
    Please read the quote again:

dying

To undergo a sudden, sharp decline in population: Rabbits were dying off in that county.

Is perl not declining in population? I personally think that perl is loosing more programmers than it is gaining. Also, less scripts are being created in perl... it keeps dropping every month. Each time new scripts are added @ hotscripts.com, there is always less and less perl scripts each update. PHP is releasing newer versions faster than perl is and once again, I don't think perl 6.0 is going to change the situation much, but then again, I don't have all the facts about perl 6 yet (I don't follow it too much). Either way, our debate probably won't be answered for another ten years, or maybe sooner if perl doesn't do something quick.

BattleForums

I think you guys need to get out there and write a few programs in whatever language you prefer, as you seem to have way to much time on your hands........

MaB, Don't know why your getting so upset, other than the "Perl is dying" comment, most people are agreeing with you that Perl has its place and is very useful, and feel there should be some form of discussion as it would help web hosts do their day to day business.

I am not real big on Perl myself, but I would be interested in these scripts you have written to save yourself hours and hours of time....can you give me some examples of these or point me in some directions to learn a little more about it?

(think thats the other reason PHP is growing faster...more support and is easier to learn)

Grant

Originally posted by MaB
    but perl is still the more all-around powerful language
    For how long? I noticed you used the word "still". Well, good for perl, but we aren't talking about NOW, i'm talking about the future. Perl has only had, what, an 7 year head start?. Give PHP another 7 years and then we'll see.

Perl may not be gaining as many as php but perl is certainly not loosing.

All your hotscripts and such again, are web based programs.

This is a hosting forum. How many php shell scripts have you written to save you hours of work? PHP maymake wbesite development easier, but when running a hosting business perl is king, as well as anyone who needs the ultimate power - they will choose perl...

Use raq2,raq3,raq4? Perl.
    Use OpenSRS? Perl.
    Use countless billing softwares and control panels? perl

This is a web hosting forum not a web development forum.
    Avi B

Originally posted by WebWorx
    I think you guys need to get out there and write a few programs in whatever language you prefer, as you seem to have way to much time on your hands........

MaB, Don't know why your getting so upset, other than the "Perl is dying" comment, most people are agreeing with you that Perl has its place and is very useful, and feel there should be some form of discussion as it would help web hosts do their day to day business.

I am not real big on Perl myself, but I would be interested in these scripts you have written to save yourself hours and hours of time....can you give me some examples of these or point me in some directions to learn a little more about it?

(think thats the other reason PHP is growing faster...more support and is easier to learn)

Grant
    I also agree'd that this forum should be expanded to cover perl. The reason he is upset is because he can't accept the fact that PHP is growing much faster than perl is (and ever was!).

Ps dont say perl6 wont help at all and then go right ahead and say you dont know much about perl6...
    Avi B

Originally posted by MaB
    Ps dont say perl6 wont help at all and then go right ahead and say you dont know much about perl6...
    I'm just basing my opinion on past experiences with hyped up perl releases. If you think perl 6 will change everything so much, then how about you tell me why?

Originally posted by BattleForums

For how long? I noticed you used the word "still". Well, good for perl, but we aren't talking about NOW, i'm talking about the future. Perl has only had, what, an 7 year head start?. Give PHP another 7 years and then we'll see.
    PHP was prototyped using Perl - it is based on perl and developed in C and shares other things with perl. PHP is riding on the tails of perl...
    Avi B

but I would be interested in these scripts you have written to save yourself hours and hours of time....can you give me some examples of these
    Grant
    I converted my whole hosting biz from a few cobalt raqs onto my own CP on a white box, i saved hours with scripts that automatically saved all the info from config files and dbs and converted it into my CPs format.

I had to change 100's of ips in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, /etc/proftpd.conf and /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf - all done with a simple script

I had to completely rewrite my /etc/mail/virtusertable and aliases just from cobalts db - and even visa versa

and there are many more
    Avi B

Originally posted by MaB

PHP was prototyped using Perl - it is based on perl and developed in C and shares other things with perl. PHP is riding on the tails of perl...
    Yet PHP is doing things that perl never could... so they must be doing something right. Besides, you can claim that anything is ripped off, most languages are very similiar to one another. PHP is also different in how is handles data, as it is server-side.

eeek - every stop posting for 4 minutes and let me read the whole 2nd page which passed me by
    Avi B

I also agree'd that this forum should be expanded to cover perl. The reason he is upset is because he can't accept the fact that PHP is growing much faster than perl is (and ever was!).

No, im upset because your saying i said stuff that I didnt say. If you read i AGREE that PHP is growing faster, but im upset because you cant see that perl isnt dieing and that php is a more powerful language for sysadmins and hosting companies (not just web development)
    Avi B

oh

ok then. I won't bring up XML yet then

Yet PHP is doing things that perl never could
    Eh? What stuff is it exactly you can accomplish in PHP, but not in Perl?

Some things may be harder to accomplish in Perl, some things are harder to accomplish in PHP -- but is there really several things you can do in PHP that you can't in Perl?

Both are Turing compatible for God's sake! :-)

PHP is also different in how is handles data, as it is server-side.
    A language can't be "serverside" as such. Lots of PHP runs on the server. Lots of Perl runs on the server. Lots of PHP and Perl runs on the client! (yeeeees, you can create GUI programs with both PHP and Perl)

Besides arguing which language is the "better one" is a stupid argument. More or less like arguing "which is best - apples or bananas?"

You cannot argue on things like that unless you put it into context.

A better question to argue about would be: "Which is best for making apple juice? - Apples or bananas?"
    Jens Kristian Søgaard, Mermaid Consulting ApS,
    jens@mermaidconsulting.dk,
    http://www.mermaidconsulting.com/

Yet PHP is doing things that perl never could... so they must be doing something right. Besides, you can claim that anything is ripped off, most languages are very similiar to one another. PHP is also different in how is handles data, as it is server-side.

What is PHP doing that perl never could? Example? Fact not talk please? I didnt CLAIM that php ripped off perl, im telling you the FACT that php was prototyped in perl

AND about perl6 - its a total rewrite with many improvements. (including speed)
    Avi B

Originally posted by MaB

No, im upset because your saying i said stuff that I didnt say. If you read i AGREE that PHP is growing faster, but im upset because you cant see that perl isnt dieing and that php is a more powerful language for sysadmins and hosting companies (not just web development)
    I did read what you said and i'm glad you agree that PHP is growing faster than perl is. However, I also beleive perl is in trouble and even if it isn't dying now, it will be soon because PHP is being developed much faster than perl is and although perl can claim to be king at certain things, those "certain things" will slowly disappear. Also, the large majority of discussions here @ wht are regarding web development

IM going to eat now, i expect there to be atleast 4 new posts by the time i get back (isnt hard going at this rate)...
    Avi B

Originally posted by MaB

What is PHP doing that perl never could? Example? Fact not talk please? I didnt CLAIM that php ripped off perl, im telling you the FACT that php was prototyped in perl

AND about perl6 - its a total rewrite with many improvements. (including speed)
    PHP is targeting age groups and user groups that perl never could. PHP is probably responsible for thousands of people who can now call themselves "programmers" thanks to PHP's user friendly side. PHP is actually helping perl out more than perl helped PHP out. Many people who get into PHP will often end up getting into perl as well, thus helping perl out in the end. I think perl underestimated the amount of peoplepeople who wanted to get involved in recreational programming. I realize perl was never meant to be a "newbie language" but still, PHP is doing what perl did, except they opening new doors each day for many individuals.

hahaha.......This is getting a little funny now..an XML forum also???...I actually laughed for the first time in this whole thread...

(Just typed a bucket load more and deleted it cause it was totally irrelevent and would simply throw fuel on the fire...)

We thougth you meant php doing something perl cant meant in terms of features not target audience....

Well i dont think perl was out to get more people - thats not the goal. Their goal was an advanced, powerful language - not to help 12 year olds learn to program (That's what basic is for ) -

Basically, is assmebly a failure because its more advanced, harder to use and doesnt target everyone? is assembly dieing because of C programmer?
    Avi B

hahaha.......This is getting a little funny now..an XML forum also???...I actually laughed for the first time in this whole thread...
    its funny how we have nothing better to argue about

So... how 'bout that anthrax?
    Avi B

It's funny how everyone automatically thinks that just cause something is easy to use, it must not be as good as something that is harder to use. Nope. Perl makes easy stuff look hard... perl gave programming a bad reputation in general. In fact, the world "programming" probably scared alot of people (not literly). But then PHP comes along and goes "hey perl, we can do what you're doing, except we don't need to make it look all l33t and confusing". Then perl starts crying

... I guess now I should request that the general forum also have a sub-section for Role Playing.

Perl is harder because its more advanced and flexible - I have much more control and power and more ability to run my servers that I do with PHP

and perl didnt give programming a bad rep
    Avi B

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast