Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You should also notice that "stop" init script was also rewritten to kill all assp.pl instances
    Won't work, a simple test would have shown that.

root@server [/usr/local/assp]# service assp stop
    Stopping ASSP Anti-SPAM Proxy server in /usr/local/assp
    /usr/local/assp/stop: line 11: kill: (198932) - No such process
    root@server [/usr/local/assp]# telnet localhost 25
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
    Escape character is '^]'.
    Oh darn, it's still running, can't do a thing about it.

If it was stopped PROPERLY, it would be:
    root@server [/usr/local/assp]# service assp stop
    root@dunthor [/usr/local/assp]# telnet localhost 25
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
    We have got asspcheck script in the plain way with no comments so we have left it intact
    You tried to take someone else's work as your own. That says a lot about you right there. Theft of property is unacceptable by any means. Trying to say YOU wrote something when you didn't is just wrong on so many levels it's not even funny.

[edit]
    One last thing:
    When using that check script, you NEED to run it through cron every 60 seconds, not every 5 minutes as you have it setup. 5 minutes is alert time, not time to restart the mail server. In 5 minutes, a server can have so much mail backed up that it will take quite some time to process, and you will have people complaining like mad. The overhead is nothing, it looks for a file, logs and poof, less than 1s to do all of that I'm sure.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by whmcsguru; 03-11-2007 at 06:44 AM.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons
      0 Not allowed!

Regarding asspcheck (new) and how it works:

root@secure [/usr/local/assp]# ps aux|grep assp.pl
    root 21823 0.0 1.8 22972 18952 ? S 12:42 0:00 /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/assp/assp.pl /usr/local/assp

root@secure [/usr/local/assp]# /etc/init.d/assp stop

root@secure [/usr/local/assp]# telnet localhost 25
    Trying 127.0.0.1...

root@secure [/usr/local/assp]# /etc/init.d/assp start
    Starting ASSP via: /usr/local/assp/start /usr/local/assp

root 10640 1.0 1.8 21532 18772 pts/0 S 13:01 0:00 /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/assp/assp.pl /usr/local/assp

Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.
    Connection closed by foreign host.

Now we have emptied the pid file and stopped ASSP:

root@secure [/usr/local/assp]# cat pid

root@secure [/usr/local/assp]# cat /dev/null > pid

root@secure [/usr/local/assp]# /etc/init.d/assp stop
    kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] [pid | job]... or kill -l [sigspec]

Trying 127.0.0.1...

And then executed asspcheck:

root@secure [/usr/local/assp]# ./scripts/asspcheck
    cat: /usr/local/assp/pid: No such file or directory
    kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] [pid | job]... or kill -l [sigspec]
    Starting ASSP via: /usr/local/assp/start /usr/local/assp

root 10877 0.5 1.8 21748 18800 pts/0 S 13:04 0:00 /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/assp/assp.pl /usr/local/assp

Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.
    Connection closed by foreign host.

So it is clear, the errors are being given by /etc/init.d/stop script which is NOT written by us and it DOES contain original Matt's comments. We have added 4 lines to this script to actually kill all remaining assp.pl instances. So what is wrong?..

About running asspcheck every minute - from our experience ASSP fails rarely and it is just additional layer of protection. However we may change recommended cronjob. Thank you for the input.

...once more, from individuals to big companies, all of them may have pieces of code not owned by them. What is really matter how they resolve the situation.

I completely understand your position. asspcheck script was mislooked to be received from unknown third-party while getting ASSP X header. We have said already - it was mistake and it was promptly corrected. Please, accept our apologizes once more.

Thank you.
    http://sultanhost.com/ - sales@sultanhost.com
    "The Sultans of the Hosting industry."
    30 Day Moneyback, 99,9% Uptime & 100% Satisfaction Guarantees.
    Unlimited Domains Reseller Accounts & Managed Servers
      0 Not allowed!

it was mistake
    A mistake?
    How do you mistakenly take someone's code and call it your own?
    How do you mistakenly put YOUR copyright and license information into someone ELSE'S file?

Call it what it is, it's theft.

A mistake is me putting my hand through my aunt's window @ 14 years old (believe me, that hurt), not taking someone else's property and redistributing it as my own with my own copyright information, licensing information, etc. THAT is flat out theft.

It's people like yourself that force individuals like myself who are merely trying to HELP individuals to choose a closed source option. It's sad, very, very sad that the world comes to someone stealing someone else's work and releasing it as their own.

That said:
    This will be my last post in this thread and topic. Hopefully I'll have the time to finish the installer I've been working on, but it certainly won't be open source, and most likely won't be free. Time goes into this stuff, and to have it ripped off by people such as yourself, well, let's just say that I don't need my free time to be spent like that.

0 Not allowed!

linux-tech:

don't get me wrong. i appreciate you putting the time and effort to release this how-to for the benefit of everyone, including myself.

but the problem is that i was given the impression that this how-to could help me install assp on cpanel. it did not help me. not because i don't know how to follow a how-to, but because you referenced some files that were incorrect and it hosed my install.

Perhaps you didn't notice this :
    Quote:
    the development versions have updated functions to use for users
    These are development versions and should never ever ever be used by individuals who do not want to run the risk of thoroughly hosing their own servers.
    we're not supposed to use it?

then why this?
    The core of ASSP is now installed. However, the development versions have updated functions to use for users. Of course, this is completely optional, but is recommended completely.
    i followed your instructions for 1.2.6 and it installed fine. i then followed the instructions for the recommended functions and it hosed the install. i removed the hosed 1.2.6 install and proceeded instead to the 1.3.0 install per your how-to.

again it won't run. i then checked what i was downloading and found out that the links you gave were crap. not outdated. crap.

outdated is when the file runs old code. the downloads (just some, actually) are just completely wrong.

and besides, developmental could mean unstable. but recent. not outdated as you say. and certainly doesn't outdate the stable version. that's why i took the risk.

i then removed everything and installed isprohosting's solution.

it went without a glitch.
      0 Not allowed!

...that's why we have decided to provide own bundles of ASSP.

I again (and last time) pass our apologizes to linux-tech. I do not feel that you may blame us in such a way for single not important file.

I also hardly believe your paid solution would work better... (btw, your last response has clearly shown that your attitude was to get paid for ASSP installer, seems funny to me).

Anyway, I wish you good luck as I know what it means to develop the code.

P.S. We are working hard to finish cPanel interface. I expect just several more days for working cPanel release!
    http://sultanhost.com/ - sales@sultanhost.com
    "The Sultans of the Hosting industry."
    30 Day Moneyback, 99,9% Uptime & 100% Satisfaction Guarantees.
    Unlimited Domains Reseller Accounts & Managed Servers
      0 Not allowed!

again it won't run. i then checked what i was downloading and found out that the links you gave were crap. not outdated. crap.
    Wrong. They weren't "CRAP", they were outdated. Perhaps you know nothing of what Version Control is, perhaps you have no experience at all with it, that's not my concern. However, those links WERE, in fact valid when the post was made. I can't control what others do outside of that. THIS is why I posted the link to the sourceforge download which DOES work. If you want to use beta versions, you're on your own. The very same thing happened to the links to 1.3.0 within hours.

I do not feel that you may blame us in such a way for single not important file.
    Dude, you're a thief, You took someone else's work and tried to pass it off as your own. Nobody "blamed" you, you got caught, and now you don't like the fact that you got caught. Sorry, but nobody likes getting "caught".

I also hardly believe your paid solution would work better...
    Now that's just wrong. You have NO clue what the "paid solution" will or will not do, so you have no right to say that.

your last response has clearly shown that your attitude was to get paid for ASSP installer
    No it doesn't. It shows the community the value of their submissions and support here, which is absolutely nothing, because they will be stolen by some thankless jerk who only has interest in benefitting themlselves.

When this tutorial was written, those links worked. Anyone with common sense knows how to get the updated files from those links in CVS. Unfortunately, again, those are CVS files, and they WILL change. I can't stress that enough. Using those versions will mean absolute hell if you use them at the "wrong time", unless you know what you're doing, thusly using any installer like this will mean the same thing.

Unfortunately this tutorial, for cvs versions is now outdated.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12