Convert IDE to SATA

If a system has all IDE ports, is there a work-around so you can support SATA drives even though the SATA ports aren't integrated into the board? Maybe if there was a low profile SATA expansion board for 1U's? I was thinking of a PCI HDD I/O board or something...
    Adam - AQORN
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member, Corporate Sponsor and AI Research Team
    Our Clients: Facebook | Red Hat | Starbucks | AT&T | HPE | NVIDIA | CrowdStrike | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

What are your opinions on a bridge board such as this?

http://www.granitedigital.com/catalo...idgeboards.htm
    Adam - AQORN
    Our Clients: Facebook | Red Hat | Starbucks | AT&T | HPE | NVIDIA | CrowdStrike | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

Originally posted by MrManager
    What are your opinions on a bridge board such as this?

http://www.granitedigital.com/catalo...idgeboards.htm
    That's interesting, like different SCSI pin addapters. Thanks man.

In a 1U, PCI cards are always tricky business. Seems a little $$$ for the job though, 80 GB IDE/SATA's are coming close to 2X the cost of this little guy .
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

But if you have an SATA drive with an IDE converter attached to the end of it, do you still have disk access speed restricted to IDE speeds?
    Adam - AQORN

Originally posted by MrManager
    But if you have an SATA drive with an IDE converter attached to the end of it, do you still have disk access speed restricted to IDE speeds?
    I highly doubt you'd see the benefit of SATA with that setup, probably worse performance due to the need for convertising, etc. It just adds another point of failure and problems, etc.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

I don't like the bridge board and the company said there is a speed bottlneck.

But the PCI options does seem pretty attractive however...
    Adam - AQORN

Is there an IDE version for less than $30 that anyone can find? There is one on that website for $39. I wouldn't want to go too low priced and risk problems with poor quality, but I would like something a little more affordable since I will be doing some mass SATA upgrades pretty soon...
    Adam - AQORN

PCI cards can be had for a lot less money. I'd recommend going that route.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Ashburn, VA, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, and Manchester, UK
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

I cannot recommend those converter boards. They will slow your whole server down.

You can pickup a PCI card with SATA RAID 0/1 for under $15.
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein

Have a link somewhere? Cheapest I can find is 30 bucks...
    Adam - AQORN

The link above has them for $16 with free shipping.

Thanks, CyanoX.
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein