Hostgator Reseller Shared SSL and Free Templates Report

The Hostgator shared SSL is basically branded despite being hosted on another domain. A user can hover their mouse over the address bar padlock icon (Firefox) for a tooltip that reads, "signed by Hostgator." Hostgator is mentioned again in the certificate properties.

I wonder if the other companies are getting their brand in where least expected? If you use another hosting company's "unbranded," shared SSL, check it and share the results, please.

---

How many Hostgator resellers have not read their own TOS? More than 250!

The cost of cleaning up your template is left entirely to the discretion of:

google > search?q=%2B%22entirely+to+the+discretion+of+HostGator%22

Honesty is much needed on your testimonial page:

google > search?q=%2B%22Your+honesty+is+much+needed+in+the+hosting+industry%22

Hostgator templates should be customized for numerous reasons...

---

Someone else has already mentioned that domains sold on the free Hostgator enom accounts do not stand up to a whois, so that makes three ways to reveal that you are a reseller. Some will not care. I do. Nevertheless, I am pretty much happy with Hostgator.

P.S.: Sharing SSL WHT archives > archive/thread/126748-1.html

What website do you have hosted with them or where could we see an example of this? I'm interested to see exactly what's going on.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

I think a better topic for my post would have been, "How not to reveal to your customers that you are a reseller."

If you give your customers access to Hostgator's shared SSL, your customers might notice that you are a reseller. The certificate is not hosted on hostgator.com but their name is on it.

If you use a Hostgator Web template without customizing it, your customers might notice that you are a reseller. Search Google for the phrase, "entirely to the discretion of HostGator", and you will see how many resellers have not customized. Also search for the phrase, "Your honesty is much needed in the hosting industry". (Keep the quotation marks when searching these phrases.)

The last bit referred to enom. If you sell a domains using the Hostgator enom account, your customers might notice that you are a reseller. A whois will not say that you registered it. It will say that Hostgator registered it.

Regardless, I like Hostgator. I would go so far as to recommend it. Resellers who do not want to reveal their status, though, should buy their own SSL, customize their tempate(s) and get their own domain registration accounts.

I cannot post links, so my initial post came out a bit confusing. I could not figure out how to edit it, so I hope this clears things up a bit. If not... : )

I used to have a HostGator reseller account and never realised that!

Thanks for the info, looks like will be staying well clear in future lol
    IndigoHosts
    Linux Shared & Reseller Hosting
    Instant Activation on all plans
    www.indigohosts.co.uk

We have fixes to everything mentioned.

1. You can purchase your own private ssl to be used as a shared so it says your name.
    2. We have two types of enom accounts we offer. The regular which will say hostgator and the one which will say your name if you select "Activate Reseller Status" when filling out the enom form with us.
    3. Last fix is to just edit the words on your premade template.

Thanks! And if there is anything I can do for you please do let me know.

for number 2, can you change it still? i didnt select the activate reseller status when i did it.

ah, just found out upon reading the actual form that you'll need an extra $100 prepaid into your account for this.

Heres the link to what it means
    http://www.hostgator.com/enomresellers.shtml

We can modify an account to this, but enom does require $100 deposit to be used towards the purchase of domain names.