Hybrid View

How to set up a wireless network...

Hi guys,

I want to have internet access without a cable box. I think I have free wireless internet access in my area.

Please advice on what type of wireless router and other equipments do I need?

It would be great if anyone can post a link to the items I need to buy in order to setup the wireless network.

Thanks
    Counter-Strike Rule....

Hey Discusman,

You have 2 solutions:
    -either you take advantage of the free wireless Internet in your area, and in that case you just have to buy wifi card to connect to that network
    -either you connect a wireless router to your cable/adsl modem, create your own network and buy wifi cards to connect to your wireless router.

I personnaly have a comcast cable modem, linked to a linksys wireless router, and I have a set of wireless cards to connect my desktop and laptop
    Spry VPS Hosting cPanel VPS, Plesk VPS, Webmin VPS, Shared, Domain Registration, Dedicated and Colo VPSLink Cheap VPS accounts CentOS, Fedora, RHEL, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu -- Dapper Drake, Slackware, OpenSUSE

I take option #1. So I need to buy a wifi card and what else?

What brand of wifi card is good? Any specs of the card I need to look into before purchase?

Where does the wifi card inside of the computer? which slot?

Thanks
    Counter-Strike Rule....

If you take option 1 you just need to buy a wifi card per computer you want to connect.
    For the choice of the brand well it's up to you. If you just want to connect to the Internet a basic card will be enough. I personally like linksys but you can read reviews online and make your choice.
    Usually those cards are connected to a pci port inside your computer. If you have a fairly recent computer you should have 4/5 empty pci slots.
    Spry VPS Hosting cPanel VPS, Plesk VPS, Webmin VPS, Shared, Domain Registration, Dedicated and Colo VPSLink Cheap VPS accounts CentOS, Fedora, RHEL, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu -- Dapper Drake, Slackware, OpenSUSE

How much do these wifi cards cost? Do they come with any sofewares?
    I want something that allows me to download stuff from the internet n be able to play online games.

Would you think a basic card can provide me all these?
    Last edited by Discusman; 11-07-2006 at 03:06 PM.
    Counter-Strike Rule....

First prices start around $20.
    They come with the drivers and a software allowing you to connect to the access point.
    Wifi cards are able to let you play online games and download, but the access point might not let you do that.