Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Hey, Firstly, i would like to say thanks for this great thread, i find it relevant to me, as im currently running a mid-end VPS, but i do have one question, My VPS has a 50% share of CPU and the server its on runs AMD athlon 64 Dual Core 2800+ , does that mean that i effectively have access to 1 of the 2800+ processors on my own, or does it mean i have access to effectively 2 half processors ? this does confues me, as in cpanel, it says 1 cpu.

second thing, you might of answered this question earlier, but i have 512mb dedicated RAM, and its burstable to 1GB (what does Burstable mean EXACTLY, i have heard a couple of rough definitions but im still not sure)

thanks,
    amchost : )

thanks for this tutorial, i wasnt sure what a VPS was before, now i know what one is! thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by amchost
    My VPS has a 50% share of CPU and the server its on runs AMD athlon 64 Dual Core 2800+ , does that mean that i effectively have access to 1 of the 2800+ processors on my own, or does it mean i have access to effectively 2 half processors ? this does confues me, as in cpanel, it says 1 cpu.
    That depends on what technology your host is using. If your host is using Virtuozzo, you should be able to see both cores.

Also, are you sure you are only sharing the server with 1 other VPS? If so, I wouldn't exactly consider it a mid-range VPS since with most providers the VPS would share its resources with more accounts per server. Especially if you aren't paying a lot for your VPS, you may want to question whether you really are sharing the server with just 1 other VPS, because there might just be quite a few others without your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by amchost
    second thing, you might of answered this question earlier, but i have 512mb dedicated RAM, and its burstable to 1GB (what does Burstable mean EXACTLY, i have heard a couple of rough definitions but im still not sure)
    In short it basically means your VPS can use up to 1GB ram, of which 512mb is guaranteed to be available. Anything over 512mb *might* be available if other VPS's on the same server aren't using up all of their guaranteed RAM. For instance if there's another VPS on the server with 512mb ram, and it's only using 200mb ram, then the remainder would be available as burstable ram (usually devided equally among the other VPS's). At the same time that also means that there might not be enough burstable ram available sometimes.

The 512mb is what you can rely on to be available. You should be very careful with burstable ram as it might get simply killed off when there's not enough available. It should be safe to use it for peak usage, but if you consistently use more ram than what's guaranteed to be available, then you are basically putting your VPS's stability at risk.

Thanks for the reply, My VPS is openVZ based so i dunno if that allows me to see both cores, or not .

Thanks for the advise on the scam, But the server is run by someone i know, and I trust him, plus, its a custom package, not something i signed up for . I suppose its quite a high spec Package, but you seem to be able to get some VPS machines with 1.5gb garaunteed RAM, 2.8 GHz, 100gb space, and 2000 GB bandwidth.

To be honest with you, if i wanted a machine like that, i would go for Dedi every time the prices are similar.

Thanks for the info on Burstable Ram, I dont use above 512 mb anyway ( as a rule ).

With openVZ you should be able to see both cores. As far as I know it's not possible to let openVZ only show you one of the cores, unless if that was recently added to the software.

It could be that the machine maybe isn't a dual core machine afterall, or it could be that the host has turned of dual core functionality in the BIOS. Either way, your best bet is to simply ask your host about it.

yeah, ill do that, is it possibe to fabricate the information shown in the server info page on whm ?? because it says dual core there thanks again

Since linux is opensource, ultimately everything can be fabricated. It's unlikely that they have done that though, especially since you indicated you trust the host.

Quote Originally Posted by webservers
    Also, if I were to get a dedicated server, how could I configure the server to use VPS technology rather than cPanel?

Is VPS better than cPanel?
    A dedicated server and a VPS can generally run the same software. For example, on your dedicated server you can run cPanel (a control panel, which has nothing to do with VPS's btw), Plesk (another competing control panel), or even Webmin (yet another CP), and much more. You can run the exact same things on your VPS as well. A general rule of thumb is if you need to modify your Linux Kernel to run something, you cant neccessarily do it on a VPS (unless its something like IP_TABLE entries or specific network permissions, which can be done by your VPS provider on the host node side).

VPS technology just means the type of virtualization software out there. For Linux platforms, the most popular one is Virtuozzo, but Xen is also catching in popularity but fewer hosts offer that than Virtuozzo. On the Windows platform side there is Virtuozzo as well, but also VMware and Microsoft Virtual Server R2. Each on its associated platform has positive and negatives. There are many threads on the VPS forum on which VPS technology works best.

-Sean

Isnt it like a dedicated server but many dedicated servers in one place?

Quote Originally Posted by XMike14x
    Isnt it like a dedicated server but many dedicated servers in one place?
    No not really. "Dedicated" implies that the hardware of the server is dedicated to one client, which isn't the case with VPS's. You could see it like a dedicated server being cut up in slices, and each such a slice is a VPS. Each VPS operates completely independently from eachother, yet still they use the same physical machine.

Thanks for this again !
    Check Out The Tron ! - The Newest Live Music (and Legal) Tracker On The Net

Very nice VPS tutorial i ever seen in my life.

Thanks fot the "tut" it was very helpful , just emailed it to a friend of mine.

Very helpful explanation on what is a VPS. Good job.
    TrixieHost
    http://www.trixiehost.com/
    cPanel Shared/Reseller Hosting
    99.9% Uptime Guaranteed, 7 Days Money Back Guarantee

Hi,

Thank you very much for your article..

I am planning to buy a VPS for my vBulletin forum.. It's an average forum with around 50 - 150 users online in last 15 minutes.. The D is around 200 MB & i'm using vBSEO also.

What config you recomend for a VPS package? Will 256 enough if i'm using cpanel also?

Thank you..

If there's a lot of database activity, I would recommend to go for 384mb RAM (especially considering that cPanel by itself uses up 100-120mb ram). 256mb should probably work too, but 384mb would be safer.

What you could consider is to get a VPS with 256mb first and monitor your resource usage. Then if it turns out that you need more ram, you could simply upgrade the VPS

If you aren't sure about things like these, it's probably a good idea to go with VPS host that provides a managed solution, as they should be able to assist you with optimizing your RAM usage and make recommendations on what to do.

Good luck!

Thnks this a very nice explanation of VPS very beneficial for Newbie as me.
    WebDesign,Websolution, Scripting, SEO
    Web Development & Promotion, Project Outsourcing

Haha very good. I usually never buy a vps unless the company owner was a member of WHT.
    -- Adam

Thanks for the time spent on this tutorial...I've learned a great deal

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
    If there's a lot of database activity, I would recommend to go for 384mb RAM (especially considering that cPanel by itself uses up 100-120mb ram).
    Which panel uses the least resources, PLESK or Cpanel?

Also, just curious on how many VPSs per server would be considered "To many" on a low end and high end server?

Quote Originally Posted by Careyweb View Post
    Which panel uses the least resources, PLESK or Cpanel?
    Usually Plesk uses the least. Plesk comes with the benefit that it's based on a templated architecture, which enables it to share the resources with all other Plesk VPS's on the same server. Thanks to that, the usage per VPS is lower - but this is only really effective if you run mutliple Plesk VPS's on the same machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Careyweb View Post
    Also, just curious on how many VPSs per server would be considered "To many" on a low end and high end server?
    It's not really possible to give any hard numbers for that, as that depends on a lot of factors. It depends on the size and activity of each VPS, and how much the server can handle (which relies on CPU, disk I/O and RAM). The only way to find out what the limitations are, is to test your configuration by creating a certain amount of VPS's on the server and push some load onto them - and then just monitor the load and lags.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234