Data Centers participating DR programs ?

Are there any data centers participating DR (Demand Response) programs ? Having backup diesel generators on hand, a data center could get off the grid,(peak shaving)or sell power back to the grid,(Demand Response). Hospitals and other large industries are involved ... just don't know about the data center industry.

And yes, the owners of the generators have to retrofit the engines with DPFs (diesel particulate filters) to meet EPA air quality standards.

In my opinion, that would be "green" data.

I have google'd this myself and cant find any centers that are truly green. I think its still scammy for some hosts and evensome centers to say they are green.

I believe the power in our area is more cost effective than would be the fuel consumed by the generators. Locally much of our power is generated by natural gas and nuclear sources.

Yeah it would be idle for green power, it will be cheaper aswell.

The most efficient method I have for a data center to "go green" is to build in colder climates. That allows them to reduce some of the cooling costs which is a great first step.

Many of the other technologies are not as "green" as we would like to believe unfortunately.

One of the European datacenters we use for my hosting company is powered entirely by wind turbines and have been listed by greenpeace as one of the best performers on their renewable energy usage report.

Quote Originally Posted by Hostoople View Post
    I have google'd this myself and cant find any centers that are truly green. I think its still scammy for some hosts and evensome centers to say they are green.
    I agree with you.