Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    As for stats, we have the largest advertising base of ALL directories. That speaks for itself. We have clients that have been with us for over 4 years. That again speaks for itself. As I said earlier we are not in the habit of conducting business in an open forum. I think after 5 years we've moved on from the position of needing to justify our position in the industry.

jeeeeeeez .... is that your google ranking answer ?

HostDirs.com:

i know with whom i talk, but since 2 years webhostdir was sponser cgi-resources (as i remember) and hostsearch was sponser aspin, ......., ......

but now .. all disappear, i just notice tophosts.com everywhere in webmaster related sites and for that i was asking .. what hosting dirs did for us?

long history and big hosts base is not what give me good traffic ......

OK as youre paying so much attention to my business model, I'm going to break a golden rule of mine and comment on your business for a change.

Lets take a quick look at why you didnt do to well on your dirs advertising "spree".

1. Your reselling services from a foreign country. (Namely Egypt) Yet giving the impresion your actually in the US. You tend to find people dont like being mislead.

2. Your plans are priced at $1.95 and $2.95 respectively which is catering for the bottom end of the market. Where as you will find most of our clients are targeting the $10 + per month customer

3. You are one of those ohh so popular host that promotes "unlimited" bandwidth plans. Do you really think people fall for this stuff anymore?

Now do us both a favour and let this lie before we get really personal

I have learned with working with many hosts and their advertising efforts in the past that not all dirs work for all hosts. In addition, not all messages / ads translate the same across all dirs.

It's important to know your dirs traffic. Take a look at their advertisers - especially the ones who have been there a long time - what and how are they selling there because obviously it must be working.

Unless your budget is just huge and you can afford to blindly blanket (brand) - then treat your advertising on any dir as competing with the other ads there - not just a global - one campaign fits all effort. If that makes sense.

I'm actually working on an article about just that that I hope to complete soon.
    HostDirs.com
    The Directory of Web Hosting Directories

i did not ask you to check my site, you can start another thread to rate it and i'll answer you in details ... do i need to put pyramids on site to say that i'm not from USA

i asked you and i invite other hosts read this post to ask you:

1. what is your ranking in search engines for common keywords?
    2. what the URL(s) lead to your site from webmasters sites ?
    3. what the proofs of your visitors is webmasters not ppl interst in hosting industry?

side note .. if you think that Unlimited is kind of fraud .. why you accept my money twice and ripped me off ?

Originally posted by 2Mhost
    i did not ask you to check my site, you can start another thread to rate it and i'll answer you in details ... do i need to put pyramids on site to say that i'm not from USA

i asked you and i invite other hosts read this post to ask you:

2. what the URL(s) lead to your site from webmaster sites ?
    I did'nt ask you to comment on my site but you took it on as a mini project.

As for pyramids that might be a start but at the very least don’t have a corporate info page that implies you are based in NY.

As is the case with your business, I do not have to justify my business to you.

You we're not happy with the return you got on our site, and decided against us helping improve that return. However you should also be aware that many hosts have been happy with the return they received from our site. Albeit they were predominately US based hosts. These companies have stayed with us for a period of years and not months. Although I appreciate they’re business acumen may not approach the levels you have acquired in your many years in the industry. I'm sure that Affinity, Verio, and RackSpace to name but a few of our clients, are treading cautiously knowing that 2Mhost is out there gobbling up their market share

Although I’ve enjoyed your witty little exchange over the last 24 hours, I'm a little too tired to think of anything more to ad to this thread. So please excuse me as I leave you to enjoy the silence.

still i need answers ......

Hey 2m - Ever seen this site?

http://www.marketleap.com/publinkpop/

Although it does not tell you key words it's a good indicator as to how well someone is ranked.
    HostDirs.com

ok .. ok .. you are tired .. let me help you ..

please complete this:

1. webhostdir rank for 'hosting' in google number:
    2. webhostdir rank for 'webhosting' in google number:
    3. webhostdir rank for 'web hosting' in google number:

we do sponsor this webmaster related sites:

http://

please complete above

still i need answers ......

OK last post on this subject.

Why should I want to provide you with this information when you have already accused me of scamming you? That is slander, incidentally. Egypt might be a long way away from us, but your data center isnt, would you like a legal letter issuing to them on our behalf???

Anyone else interested in Web Host Directory is more than welcome to contact us via the usual routes.

Thank you all for taking time out this evening to enjoy our little show. If you enjoyed yourselves, please tell your friends.

The James and 2Mhost show will be coming to a theatre near you soon!

James Cross [WebHostDir.com]:
    excuse me .. webhostdir is the big sucks in fact and the worst in results with me ever .. and if you check your records you will find that i advertised twice with you ..

Well I have to question your own words!! With such poor results why in the world would you advertise a second time with them. DUH!
    Makes no sense whatsoever!
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

side note .. if you think that Unlimited is kind of fraud .. why you accept my money twice and ripped me off ?

Well, unfortunatley I dont know ANY directory that turns down unlimited offerings....it'd be nice if we could ban the total concept all together and then I think we would all be better off....BUT, thats probably never going to happen.
    You seem full of grudges obviously and to air all your dissatisfaction is really going nowhere and you are the one looking UNprofessional to say the least! Take it off of a public board!
    If I spend my hard earned money on a service, product, etc. and dont see at least some form of valid results, then why pay again?
    Makes no sense to me.
    It looks like he offered to help in a few ways, as far as discussing your ad campaign or whatever!
    I can tell you to look around the boards here as I know James and the WHD staff has participated here as well as in their own forums and you wont find a better group of people. They actually join in on their own forums and take an interest in building the community, and have ALWAYS behaved professional, friendly, etc.
    Looks like a pretty good thread went sour.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

LOL - can't say it's been a boring one though.

2m - man there are lots more keywords turning up host buyers than just "web hosting". While yes those are golden keywords, don't overlook the many "reseller web hosting", "budget web hosting" - "php hosting" - I could go on forever.

It's a hosting dir's job to deliver buyers - judging by the calibre of advertiser webhostdir sports, plus the fact they have been going strong for years now - I must think that in more cases than not they are delivering buyers.

Nonetheless - there's lots of other traffic sources and MILLIONS of buyers out there. No single dir is going to make or break you in a couple months.
    HostDirs.com

ok .. ok .. you are tired .. let me help you ..

please complete this:

1. webhostdir rank for 'hosting' in google number:
    2. webhostdir rank for 'webhosting' in google number:
    3. webhostdir rank for 'web hosting' in google number:

we do sponsor this webmaster related sites:

please complete above
    2Mhost,

Obviously they are not going to give out their advertising secrets as if they did other directories could do the same to steal traffic away from them. It's kind of the same as if you ever found a directory that sent 1000 uniques to your page.. Would you tell anybody about it? I for sure wouldn’t, as I would want the traffic for myself. It's hard to find good ways to gather traffic to your website but it you do it's like finding a needle in a haystack and you would want to keep that needle away from your competitors. Anyway to sum it up, as long as they are a popular directory, their methods of keeping it that way are somewhat confidential.

Also if you are not advertising with them anymore, they really wouldn't have to tell you anything.
    Jason Mansfield - jmansfie [at] uoguelph.ca

Originally posted by NovaW

By the way - the example you used - the $16.95 is the domain name fee. So your example is false, but I am sure you could have found some innacurate host listings.

As I said above "Beyond ensuring that the info is as accurate as possible"

Do I believe that all the info in FMH is 100% accurate? - no it isn't. We have recently implemented a step where 1 person is employed full time to review every single plan as it is added, edited and all the existing plans are being reviewed. Why have we done this? - because it will increase our value to the consumer & I know that our growth is tied to that and that alone.
    It looks as if your guy missed out on referable.com!

The actual cost of their plan is not .15 cents but a whopping $1.575 per month. That's 10.5 times the advertised price.

$0.15 --> $1.575

I think you are giving them "unfair" advantage (unknowingly or otherwise) by blinking an eye to their misleading pricing and advertising.

The way they have pulled that one over FMH is to force the customer signing up for their so-called cheap plan to do a registrar transfer (price: $16.95) as opposed to a DNS transfer (which is free). All their other plans allow for free DNS transfers except for this so-called cheap plan.

In brief, referable.com don't have a plan for 0.15 that you can signup for as advertised.

Now that you know it, do you intend to take any action about this?

As a potential advertiser, I for one will certainly wait for the result.

There seems to be another problem with your assessment of advertisers: The year they started in business. How do you evaluate that?

For example, referable.com has this on their so-called "corporate" page: (and how is it that there's no record of their address on their site nor in their domain record if they're a "corporate"?)

"Referable.Com was initially incepted in 1997. Our initial line of business was facused [oops!) on software development for the Windows Platform. Once successful, we added our consulting lines of business."

I mean, anyone could say they did software development since 1997.... on their home computer in their bedroom!

Moreover, the domain itself was registered just under a year ago: on January 10, 2002!

Whereas they are claiming that referable.com (the domain itself) was incepted in 1997!
    Last edited by mistral1; 01-04-2003 at 08:29 PM.

I have no clue where you came up with $1.575 / month

I do agree that having to pay for a domain regardless is a bit miss-leading.

But, beyond that - what is your point? FMH is a competitive marketplace and hosts do whatever they can to get ahead of the next host - as I mentioned already, our goal is to ensure that the info is accurate as possible. Are we perfect? No - are you perfect?

Why do WE care about accuracy? - The consumer will not find FMH useful if the info is not accurate. There is also a way that you can file a complaint about the accuracy of a plan - did you do it?

You mention "As a potential advertiser, I for one will certainly wait for the result. "

You are not a potential advertiser - there is no advertising. You sound as if we are trying to recruit you - we are not. Our business is not related to selling something to hosts. Our focus is reaching people that want to buy web hosting. As a host you should be glad about that. In short - if a host does not like FMH it is no problem, there are 100 other hosts ready to take their place.

We treat every host the same - small or large - we don't care how much money you have or how big you are, you cannot buy special treatment or special promotion and we won't be upset if you don't like the idea behind FMH.
    Andrew McMaster
    http://www.FindMyHosting.com
    Compare Prices, Consumer Reviews, Help, Guides and More.

"We treat every host the same - small or large"

This is not exactly true Nova - about 5 months ago you rejected a host that I actually recommended your site to because they offered a free plan.

I don't recall your exact words as a reason - but it had something to do with the fact that you would not make any money from their listing.

I'll email the host to see if by some crazy chance they still have your email and I'll quote it.
    HostDirs.com

HostDirs - you never give up do you?

Ok let me re-phrase that

"we treat every host that we let join the same" - concept being that you cannot buy a better listing or buy special treatment
    Andrew McMaster

NovaW, you are more careless than I thought you might be.

> I have no clue where you came up with $1.575 / month

Maybe you need to go to a maths refresher class or examine your advertisers more closely.

Here's the cost breakdown:

Cheap plan from referable.com: $1.99 per year

Domain transfer: $16.95 per year

Total: $18.94 per year

$18.94 / 12 months = ~$1.575 per month.

The advertised 0.15 price is a fallacy. Even if we considered this to be true, the price would have been $1.80 per year, and not $1.99 per year!

Do you agree to these figures or not?

> Why do WE care about accuracy?

How can you make this grandiose claim when you accept inaccurate data from advertisers?

> Our focus is reaching people that want to buy web hosting.

That's the goal of any hosting directory, nothing special in there.

> You are not a potential advertiser - there is no advertising.

You may also need a good dictionary by your side to find out about definitions:

Advertising:

"The business of drawing public attention to goods and services"

"A public promotion of some product or service"

Are you saying that these definitions don't apply to the businesses "appearing" in your directory?

> ...you cannot buy special treatment or special promotion

Well, you can. You are giving an obscure hosting business a preferential treatment and allowing them to mislead the public.

And, of course, you have conveniently ignored the issue about business start-up dates in my previous post!

"HostDirs - you never give up do you? "

Thanks Nova - I take that as a compliment. Yes I work very very hard.

Thanks for clearing that up.

PS - I guess it was OK for you to try and challenge me about finding another Dir like yours - but it's not OK for me try and challenge you?
    HostDirs.com

HostDirs - I answered all your questions. We can keep on challenging each other - thats ok

mistral1 -
    As I said earlier - we have a focus on making sure that the info entered by hosts into FMH is as accurate as possible, in fact we have 1 person who works on this. This includes all aspects of the information you mention. So you found some info that you believe to be inaccurate - thanks for the heads up & your time - but beyond that - what is the point you are trying to make?

We don't sell advertising & you are not a potential advertiser. Sure you can get into semantics about the meaning of the word advertising - but again - what point are you trying to make?

Overall - it's clear you don't like nor respect the approach of FindMyHosting and like I said - thats perfectly ok by us. All discussions have been about the inherent approach or model. If you have suggestions or ideas on how to improve our implementation then I'm all ears - email your ideas or suggestions or post them here.
    Andrew McMaster

While I know I did bust your chops about that one host's plan - in Nova's defense, many hosts are not always honest when submitting their data to a dir - plus they often flop around in things like setup fee / no set up fee. It is hard for a dir to police it always...

Not to play both sides of the fence there but.
    Last edited by HostDirs.com; 01-04-2003 at 10:34 PM.
    HostDirs.com

NovaW, do you get a percentage of the amount of sales that the hosting business makes through leads gained from FMH? Is this your business model? I'm not totally clear about this.

Yes, we get 15% of the sale for 12 months maximium. If the host gets no sales then we get nothing.
    Andrew McMaster

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast