The1DES Guest
    Game Server Set up.

I am setting up a server at home to host 2 games and maybe a Teamspeak server. I built a core i7 pc with 3gigs of RAM. I want to host Delta Force Black Hawk Down...and Maybe COD5??
    I want to run a windows server..... I want to use a static IP and assign the different games to different port..... HOW DO I DO THAT!!!... NOOB HERE....
    I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit installed now to get the system up and running. I also have Windows Small Business Server 2003. Which software will meet my needs??? I can set up the software but need help setting it up to work with multiple games.... HELP!!!!
    How do I set up my hardware. HELP!!!!
    Any Help will be greatly appreciated..... Thanks...

AS-Peter Guest
    Well, if your runing from a "Computer" or "Server" and you have a Cable or any other type of Wired Connection, you IP will be Static. Delta Force Black Hawk Down does not use up alot of Resources, Recommended RAM is 546 MB. CoD 5 will require more. Depending on your Connection, you may be able to run 2 Servers.
    I do not Support Vista, as it is junk (My Opinion). So I would say use Small Business Server 2003. You will need the Call of Duty 5 Server Files (I don't have Call of Duty 5; so I don't know if there was a Server Included). But, with DF BHD, you can just run the game, and run a server (Host Game), and make it so you only Serve. It will automaticly become Dedicated in the NovaWorld Lobby. I recomand a max of 20 Players. You can minimze that Server View / Game Window, and then start up the call of Duty 5 Server.
    If done properly, it should work. Use you normal PC and look for the Servers In-Game. I'm sorry if I caused some confusion, but I hope it helps. Peter

I agree you should go with Windows 2003 Server, much better than Vista in my opinion. I have seen too many complaints about Vista.
    If you are using a Cable connection, you might want to consider upgrading to a Business line, if they see too much traffic coming to and from your home on a home account they might start restricting your bandwidth, and with a Business Account you should be given a static IP. Plus you have to consider how many people in your area are using the same bandwidth, which will considerably effect your gamers experience.
    It might be simpler to rent a dedicated server in a data center. That way you don't have to worry about bandwidth or about loosing power in your house.
    Just my thoughts. *S*
    mrpepik
    <<Signature to be set up in your profile>>

Last edited by anon-e-mouse : 12-16-2008 at 04:54 PM.

I would definitely go with Windows Server 2003. Then you can just install a firewall and the gaming server software.
    A static IP would definitely be ideal, and you may want to consider co-location or a dedicated server.
    -mike

__________________Limestone Networks - Dedicated Server Hosting
    Premium Network - 24/7/365 Support - Dual Intel Xeon Servers Now Available
    Dallas Datacenter - Fully Routed Backend Networkhttp://www.limestonenetworks.com 1-877-586-0555

As for which operating system, I would have to agree with Mike and Mrpepik, Windows Server would be a much better choice than Vista for running any kind of server.
    I would certainly recommend a Static IP, however I know like my ISP many do not have Static IPs on home plans, so you might have to look into upgrading to a business plan for your home connection. Another possible issue would be running a server from your home connection to begin with, my ISP does not allow you to run any kind of server from your home connection unless you move up to the business plan.
    So I would either look into getting a business plan for your home connection, or just colocating/renting a server in a data center somewhere.
    Just my $.02.

AIM: Shortywakeman E-Mail/MSN: shortywakeman @ hotmail.com

I wouldn't recommend running this on any kind of home connection. Gamers are notoriously picky, as you well know. Either renting a game server from someone or finding your own colocation are the only ways to go.

The1DES Guest
    Thanks for the input guys... My plan is to run the server from home because DFBHD is a dying game but I have a squad that has a server now but sits empty most of the time. I figured I would run it from home and save the monthly cost. I do this for fun...
    I will install the windows SB Server 2003 software this weekend. I plan on Talking to the Cable co. to get pricing for a business line too.... They just up the home plans to include an option for a 50 meg connection... I will have to check that out too....
    On the server itself, many game servers run multiple games on 1 box.... They have the same IP address and just have different assigned port addresses. I have never figured out how to set it up that way...
    I have a Dell 1750 With (2) 3.06 xeon, (6) gigs of Ram, (3) 36gig Scsi HD's. Raid and twin PS's.
    I could not run DFBHD because the factory rage XL (8 megs) graphics was not enough to run the game. I could not upgrade the card so I gave up on it. ...But I see some doing it now??..... HOW??? (I still have this server too.... Couldnt make it work for games...... But I see some are(%*#

I believe there is a BIOS setting you can edit for the memory issue on that game, just escapes me as to what it is right now. Hunt around a bit and you should find the answer.

__________________Brian Farrell | Email: bfarrell@colocrossing.comColoCrossing Internet Services
    Dedicated

The1DES Guest
    Well, I have windows sbs 2003 installed. I am having difficulty getting a graphics driver to work with sbs2003. any good ideas on where to get graphics drivers for sbs2003???

mysteryisdiman Guest
    What Video card are you referring to. Most Manufacture Post the windows 2k3 drivers on their sites. I have never had the opportunity to use windows 2k3 sbs I am usto either Standard or Enterprise. If you post you graphic card Im sure we will see what we can pull up.

__________________Wiredinatlanta Dedicated Server Hosting
    Atlanta Based for all your server needs
    757-288-8431, sales@wiredinatlanta.com call for custom server orders.
    AIM:wiredaltsupport YIM:wiredatl_supp

I would recommend that you do not host any game servers off of your home residential connection, doing so can actually get you in some trouble with your ISP Internet Service Provider. Using to much bandwidth.

It's pretty cheap now days to colocate servers, you can colocate now for $50.00 a month with a high OC192 connection.
    Bobby Samai - Director of Marketing
    www.peakinternet.com 1.800.731.4871 Ext 4968 24/7 Support Center
    Out to change the way business is being done since 1992
    Colocation | Dedicated | VPS | Shared | Broadband | Fiber

unless its for personal testing / training. I wouldnt run anyform of server from home.

If you want cheap hosting I would co-locate that box some where near you.

Go with windows server 2003 for sure for hosting your gameserver, as vista is no good for this matter.

Stop the damn 2008 thread bumping already .

Are you sure you have the bandwidth needed to run a game server? How fast is your current connection speed?
    <<Please review signature formatting guidelines>>