How much does chatroulette.com and farmville pay in hosting fees every month?

Hello,

I am curious as to how much a website like chatroulette.com or a facebook application such as Farmville would cost to host a month. And how many users would that be able to handle.

Thanks

Could be anywhere from 3k to 30k depending on their setup and how efficient their design is.

A bit of googling turned up the answer that Farmville runs in some kind of cloud. That would make the answer of "how many servers" (and in turn, hosting fees) a bit hard to answer. But I expect them to be using (the equivalent of) hundreds if not thousands of servers, considering they serve so many millions of users each month. According to one of the articles their traffic to Facebook alone is 3 Gbps at peak time (imagine that!).

Related info:
    - http://highscalability.com/blog/2010...s-a-month.html
    - http://highscalability.com/blog/2010...follow-up.html

Im just curious as the kid who started chatroulette.com is only 17.

Any idea what that site is using and how much hosting power he needs?

How many of these similar questions are you going to post here before you realize that the answers are generally not made public for very strategic reasons?

Farmville runs on amazon ec2, as well as all other zynga games.

Farmville is using amazon cloud and they actualy are not paying that much, Pretty much explains all the errors the slow loading and other things.

I would not expect chatroulette to use much as I can never connect to anyone But I would say at peak times if they have decent encoding maybe over or around 1gbps and a a good dual quad core. I know video sites use alot of resources but the few I have seen like this where mainly just consuming alot of bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    I would not expect chatroulette to use much as I can never connect to anyone But I would say at peak times if they have decent encoding maybe over or around 1gbps and a a good dual quad core. I know video sites use alot of resources but the few I have seen like this where mainly just consuming alot of bandwidth.
    Flash has built-in peer to peer so the server doesn't have to process the video. I can't imagine the server encoding and resending the video. The bandwidth must be huge.

Chatroulette is peer to peer, I have gotten the other persons ip just by watching my pfsense firewall logs. So all the server is doing is displaying the site and chat and probably who your connecting to next.

If it is peer-to-peer, then I would imagine that a single dedicated server could easily host it.

Quote Originally Posted by h4wk View Post
    Flash has built-in peer to peer so the server doesn't have to process the video. I can't imagine the server encoding and resending the video. The bandwidth must be huge.
    Oh The one I helped someone with the server handled it all. That explains things lol.