Thread: Good Value?

Good Value?

So 2 sites with 2 Great host are successfully doing well

and i have 2 more sites to look for host for.

For site/host number 3, I was recommended a host by a friend who has used them for the past couple of months.

But i was looking at it and it sort of made me stop for a second and i figured what the heck, I'll come and ask before I buy.

For 8.95

150 GB data
    1250 GB of bandwidth
    50 domains(I don't really care about this)
    Cpanel account

and i get a free domain with it(that i am free to transfer at anytime)

I've done some googling and looked around on here and I haven't really seen anything bad about them and the whois says the domain has been registered for nearly 3 years.

Is this a good move?

Well,... a lot of things go to make up a good or bad host, so it's hard to say based just on that. And that's a question particular to your exact needs, so it depends on the site you wish to host.

But... one rule of thumb I often give out on here is that anything less than $1 per month / GB of space is too cheap for them to offer sustainably. It's only a rough rule of thumb, and of course there are exceptions that end very happily. But $9 per month for 150GB of space? I'll say this much: If every customer used that space, they couldn't run their servers.

How much space do you actually need?
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

I agree, I think customer support and uptime are also a large factor in my decisions. Price is my 4th or 5th item to validate against competitors.
    Doug
    Finance, Operations, and Business Executive

For 8.95

150 GB data
    1250 GB of bandwidth
    Cpanel account

I would be worried with those stats for that price...a lot of space for a little price...but as James mentioned there are exceptions to that rules.

The best thing is to look over current the size of your site and estimate it's growth potential. For instance a Wordpress site with 20,000 visitors a day can be as small as 4GB and use less than 700GB a month...but all depends on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    For 8.95

150 GB data
    1250 GB of bandwidth
    Cpanel account

The best thing is to look over current the size of your site and estimate it's growth potential. For instance a Wordpress site with 20,000 visitors a day can be as small as 4GB and use less than 700GB a month...but all depends on the site.
    I agree with 48-14,

Scalability is important and if the site you are looking to host grows beyond the capacity of your server you will have to look at how to accommodate the growth.

I would recommend a provider that has an instantly scalable solution, or at least an easy path to upgrade when needed.

Customer support is also a huge factor. Check out the different avenues for support the company offers. Some only offer email support which can be timely. Look for live phone support, email support and live chat if available.

Its all about customer support. I don't even consider a web host if they don't have 24/7 chat support. Good luck

I wouldn't get anywhere near that. The $9 doesn't even pay for cPanel, much less the server.
    I'd bet it was an outright scam.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

It might help if we knew who the host is. Commenting otherwise is like trying to give advice with your hands tied behind your back.

@kpmedia - on the assumption (?) that this is shared hosting, the cPanel would be per-server not per-client, but all the same I agree with your conclusion.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    I wouldn't get anywhere near that. The $9 doesn't even pay for cPanel, much less the server.
    I'd bet it was an outright scam.
    Eh

Because a lot of people are skeptical about the UNLIMITED phenomenon, some just use absurd figures to capture their customers attention.

1250 GB is no exception.
    █▌ Cheapest Domain Registration Service & Shared Hosting Solutions .
    █▌ Skrill, Perfect Money, AdvCash, Webmoney,Monero, Neteller, BitCoin, Payeer, Crypto.
    █▌ Instant Domain Name Registration - Over 700+ Extensions x3reg.com!

Why not mention the company name?

The specs you have given are on the high side, but really don't mean much without knowing who the host is.

If the host has only been in business a few months, I'd be cautious...
    SimpleSonic - We Make Fast... Easy!
    US/UK/MY - 100% Uptime - Shared - Reseller - cPanel - DirectAdmin - WHMCS Included!
    Blazing Fast NVMe SSD - CloudLinux - Imunify360 - LiteSpeed - MailChannels - JetBackup