hey guys will any body suggest me a good dedicated host?(both for NT & Unix)

------------------

Perosnally id go with alabanza.com after spending three weeks swapping emails with them which where answered within an hour im very impressed by them. there servers are good and support is good

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bill:

[/quote]

------------------
    Signing off for now Eddie

Thumbs up

2 Thumbs up for DigitalNation! No kidding!

pd01 Guest

Wink

I like hispeedhosting.com

If you can afford to go with DigitalNation then it's your best option, plus bandwidth is quite cheap (compared to others), $150 per 50gig is only $3 gig. Other charge upto $20/gig ***** is an example.

comanche Guest

Originally posted by bill:

Check Out http://www.atjeu.com
    They have great prices and service on dedicated services with unlimited bandwidth

Super Guest

Red face

dialtoneinternet.net is very good in LINUX
    do NOT use webhosting.com because they never answer your questions.

comanche,

Never trust a company that promises unlimited bandwidth. It's a lie. That particular site is also out of date on domain registrations. Also, I would advise not trusting any site that doesn't disclose its terms of service (TOS) before you sign up. That's how they nail you. They promise you unlimited bandwidth or traffic, then refer to their TOS when you hit the very real limits. This is the first time many customers become aware of the existence of the TOS. An ethical company will tell you up front and make it hard to miss, like linking it to the different packages.

Hello,
    I have to disagree with your last post Duster. You can allow unlimited bandwidth on a server with a, for example, 512k/sec connection. In this case, Unlimited means that you can max out the 512k all you want. Of course, using the word unlimited isn't a good idea, but it means that the isp wont restrict or charge for any bandwidth at all. If the server can handle it with its connection speed, then its good.

Well, that is what we do anyway, with our co-location. We offer different lines speed that people can use as much as they want.

No one get charged after certain GB or anything... but if they have way too much traffic, their site will slow down.

Anyway, I suppose you get the idea

------------------
    [Félix C.Courtemanche | Web Designer]
    [Head Designer | Co-Admin]
    [webmaster@can-host.com]
    [Can-Host Networks | http://can-host.com ]

Mark Hewitt Guest

Cool

Effectively the bandwidth is limited as the line can only push out so much data in a specfic time period.

Felix, I'll stand by my statement, and you have given some reasons why I'm right. One of the reasons is I tend to be precise in the words I use, and stay to their definitions. Too many marketing people corrupt the meaning by using words inappropriately, "unlimited" being one of them for hosting companies, including your own until recently.

"As much as you need" for disk space and "as much as you need, within reasonable limits" is more accurate in many cases, though it lacks the one word succintness of "unlimited". In shortening to that one word, much is left out, including the truth. "Unmetered" is a reasonable substitute for "unlimited" in many cases.

Chicken Guest

To me, when I see the word "unmetered", it tells me that the host "won't limit you unless there is a problem with what you are doing".

I don't think it means the same thing as "unlimited", which to me, says outright- "as much as you want". Either way, it is probably just how I see it, which makes no difference.

I just know that there is a limit to things. I realize that I cannot run hotmail with a $15/mo virtual account that offers "unlimited POPs". Seems some people just don't get this.

Even worse are the free-hosting boards I read. People want unlimited transfer, unlimited space, FTP upload and CGI, shell access, for what? Nada, heh. Ohhhh and did I mention, 100% uptime and NO BANNER ADS? Suuuuuure.

lol
    Well, Duster, I agree with what you say, concerning the whole "Unlimited" topic. I don't agree with the term itself or use it without explaining what it means either.

I do beleive however that someone who is renting a 512kbps connection with "unlimited" transfer understand that it doesn't mean hes getting an unlimited speed connection for the price of a 512kbps, but really a 512kbps with no other limit (un-limited?).

The words "as much as you want" or unmetered also appears sometime, but to me they mean exactly the same thing as unlimited, but with different words.

We must consider the fact that if we stated every single detail on a package descriptiong... there would be no need for a ToS I beleive some hosts out there (hopefully including ourselves) are trying to do the best with what they have. We don't specify any bandwidth limit on the named co-location or dedicated server connections, because they are implied with the connection speed. If we were offering a 4mbps connection on dedicated, it would mean that someone can use up to 4mpb/seconds. Of course it is not unlimited, but nothing is, nowhere. Perhapse we should try and understand the meaning of a word and go over the "its impossible".

I have yet to see anything unlimited in the whole universe... yet the word is there and means "as much as what you are paying for gives you"... but saying that would scare everyone, including those against the use of the "unlimited" word

Hmmm this is becoming a long post eh, I'll just conclude by saying that switching unlimited with unmetered without explaining its meaning is just as bad. I beleive explaining what these words mean is the best way to go, and it is what we are doing.

------------------
    [Félix C.Courtemanche | Web Designer]
    [Head Designer | Co-Admin]
    [webmaster@can-host.com]
    [Can-Host Networks | http://can-host.com ]

[This message has been edited by Félix C.Courtemanche (edited 05-11-2000).]

Back to the point of this thread, Alabanza is great. Pricey but well worth it. We used RaQs and another vanilla Linux box colocated with companies I won't name, but Alabanza's Domain System Manager blew it all away. It manages al info and set-up for you, sends renewal emails automatically..Very nice. They have an awesome deal going on too..no idea for how long. PIII 550, 512 MB RAM, 50GB traffic, 9 GB drive, $400 a month. The time the DSM saves you is worth the extra money. Believe me. If you go with them, tell them KBS Web Hosting referred you No I don;t have any vested interest in Alabanza aside from our servers there.

Chris Marks
    KBS Web Hosting
    cmarks@netfronts.com