Dual Xeon server

Hello guys,

How many game servers at max could a Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz, 6GB RAM, 160GB HDD and 1TB bandwidth hold?

Games such as COD4, CSS and CS 1.6 will be mostly hosted on this server.

Cheers,
    Shaun

Dual single core 2.8GHz? Or Dual Dual core xeons?

Bret
    NetHosted Ltd. - UK Based Web Hosting
    Like us on Facebook!

Where i ordered it from it just says Dual XEON 2.8Ghz.

I assume its a single core model then.

dual dual core? - would that make it quad core?

dual core means two cores. so if I was a gambling man I would proberly say youve bagged yourself 1 CPU with two cores at 2.8ghz in speed.

I would proberly say no more then 4 - 6 servers for CSS. to run 4 - 6 of each...just wont be possible with those specs of bandwidth...however it depends on slots and how active they are. plus what mods you have for the games etc.

your find the killer being processing power and bandwidth with those specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Flumps View Post
    dual dual core? - would that make it quad core?

dual core means two cores. so if I was a gambling man I would proberly say youve bagged yourself 1 CPU with two cores at 2.8ghz in speed.
    Flumps! Are you feeling well today? Your posts are usually better than this.

An educated guess would be the OP has 2 X single core Xeon 2.8 cpu's. Most hosts will make it a selling point if they are offering dual core Xeons.

I'd offer a guess that you've got yourself a NetBurst based Xeon (Circa 2001-2002 technology). They were most common in their Dual physical processor 2.8ghz flavor (2 total cores).

They are junk I'm afraid.
    ColoCrossing - Dedicated to Uptime
    Jon Biloh | jbiloh@colocrossing.com | 1.800.518.9716 | Skype: jbiloh
    DDOS Protected Colo & Dedicated Servers in Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
    Flumps! Are you feeling well today? Your posts are usually better than this.

An educated guess would be the OP has 2 X single core Xeon 2.8 cpu's. Most hosts will make it a selling point if they are offering dual core Xeons.
    oh fiddle sticks...yes I read the inital thread starters post wrong. and yes I was feeling sick at the time and dog tired to boot. with today being no different what with just doing a 14 hour shift....wheres my bed lol.

sorry my mistake. yes the OP does have 2X single core Xeon when reading that again.

my applogise.

Well, if you've got the dual single core server. Then you're pretty screwed, as JonBiloh said, they're junk. Wouldn't say more than 3-4 CS servers would run on there if that. Especially with only 1000GB of transfer (but, as others have said it depends on the usage). You've got yourself a fairly old machine there so your choices are limited!

Bret
    NetHosted Ltd. - UK Based Web Hosting
    Like us on Facebook!

to sum up and proberly add abit of closure to the thread I would proberly say your best bet when it comes to hosting multiple gaming servers is stick with quad core with atleast 8gb ram and over 1000gb bw at a minimum.

however yes I agree what ur thinking some people dont havea big budget and if ur just hosting servers for yourself then I would say yes fair play stick with the low level hardware.

just give it a go see what works and what doesnt, cant imagine you hosting very many cod4 servers tbh but give it a whirl as they say.

I already have a single core Xeon 3.2Ghz running about 7-8 game servers fine. No signs of lag in games. It has about 2-3 COD4 servers running and this is on a single core CPU.

I imagine i could host more game servers with a Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz then?

Quote Originally Posted by snoopinc View Post
    Hello guys,

How many game servers at max could a Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz, 6GB RAM, 160GB HDD and 1TB bandwidth hold?

Games such as COD4, CSS and CS 1.6 will be mostly hosted on this server.

Cheers,
    Shaun
    CoD4/5 servers are pretty light servers but eats more ram. CS 1.6 servers memory usage is low but if you are offering high quality servers (higher internal fps for a better hitbox), then they start eating up cpu pretty much.

Im hosting myself servers that provides a stable tick100 for 5on5 matches and for CS pretty much stable fps1000 for 5on5 match.

Your hardware could probably host max. 4-8 such a servers described above.

Im using myself Core i7 3.2ghz cpu´s and regular core 2 quad 3.2ghz cpu´s which perform really well. No point pay for high price XEON´s while you can custom build your own hardware with way much affordable price.