Question about Dual Hard Drives

Hey... This might be a dumb question.. If so sorry .

I was wondering with dual hard drives (I have dual 80GB hard drives). Does it work such as say I am coping files via SSH and the main hard drive becomes full, does it start coping it to the other one automaticly or no? If the answer to that is no, then how do I copy data to the second hard drive (say I want to store backups there) when I am logged in via SSH to I have to type a command to get to the second hard drive?

Anyone know?

It depends how they are partitioned. Unless its setup as RAID, there will most likely be separate partitions on each hard drive (e.g. with some setups, there is a "home1" on one hard drive and "home2" on the other).

Unless you have RAID capabilities, there is no way of automatically making it switch to the other hard drive (at least no way I know of, anyway).

Hope this helps.

Ok I found out a command such as this works:

cp /dev/hda2 /path/to/file

Now how do I access the second hard drive so I can make folders and browse around. If I type something like /dev/hda2 cd /root/ that doesn't work... Anyone know how to do that?

Grrr....I keep refershing this waiting for someone to answer. If anyone knows could you please tell me how - thank you!

1. You need to read some newbie guide on linux filesystem

2. first there is a phisycal drive (or 2 drives in your case). Then there are some partitions, then those martitions are MOUNTED in certain MOUNT POINTS.

So if you have 2 IDE drives, they will be /dev/hda and /dev/hdb. Their partitions will be /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2, /dev/hdb2 and so on. Mount points for these partitions will be something like /home, /var and so on. You can see your mount points, partitions and available space on them with "df -h". If you are runing out of space in one partition, and you have lots of spare space somewhere else, chances are you will copy your files over and change the partition that mount point points to. For an example: if your /home which is on /dev/hda3 is 99% full, and you have /dev/hdb3 with more then enough space they you will need to temporaryly mount /dev/hdb3 SOMEWHERE, copy your files from /home to SOMEWHERE , unmount /home, remount /dev/hdb3 as /home.

If this makes no much sense, that is OK. I just wanted to give you soime pointers to what you should be seaching for.

These pages should help you understand the filesystem setup and how to go about mounting... (2nd one in particular)
    http://www.slackware.com/config/rootdir.php
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Hard-...ade/mount.html
    These man pages may be of interest...
    man fstab
    man mount

Basically it sounds like you need to check df and see what drive is set to what mount point. Then you can copy from mountpoint to mountpoint via cp /mnt/point/1/* /mnt/point/2
    ---www.sekure.us---

Re: Question about Dual Hard Drives

Originally posted by LCHwebHost
    Hey... This might be a dumb question.. If so sorry .

I was wondering with dual hard drives (I have dual 80GB hard drives). Does it work such as say I am coping files via SSH and the main hard drive becomes full, does it start coping it to the other one automaticly or no? If the answer to that is no, then how do I copy data to the second hard drive (say I want to store backups there) when I am logged in via SSH to I have to type a command to get to the second hard drive?
    Is this server with cpanel?

It will not auto-copy the files to the new hard drive.

Think of it in the same way as your home PC. If you have 2 hard drives, you call them C: and D: (or others, but we'll just stick to those). So, if you download a file to the C: and it's full, you will have to either move files around to make space, or delete files on the C: so you can download the file. If you want to move files from one hard drive to another, you have to 'drag and drop' the files from the C: to the D:. This is the same as with linux (only you don't drag and drop on a server, you cp /home/file /home2/file )

cp is the command for copy, that's how you copy files from one place on your system to a different place.

Now, if you have RAID, you won't have this problem... but that's another story...

The only difference is with linux you are using /home and /home2 instead of C: and D: . (/home and /home2 don't have to be called that... you can essentially whatever you want to call them when you setup your partitions)

It really is pretty simple once you get the basic idea. Read some of those sites referenced in the previous posts, and I'm sure you'll get it quickly!