Guidance in deciding on a hosting service

Hi All,

I am looking at a webhost for my website which is part of my assignment at University and would be devloped using HTML with PHP/MySQL.

Would have loved to have a host in Melbourne, Australia, but they are quiet expensive from what I hear.

I am looking at the following
    1. Incorporate a forum for users to post messages. This could be one of the freely available PHP boards.
    2. the ability to host multiple subdomain names. Users could signup and be allocated a subdomain of their choice. The subdomains are not for re-sale.
    3. once a subdomain is allocated to the user, a specific webspace (5 Mb) is also allocated to so users can upload files.
    4. users should be able to upload only specific file types e.g. html,php,jpg,gif,swf,avi,mp3,wmv.
    5. if user has forms on their allocated space, it should not affect the working of the rest of the website.

I am new to this and would like to know if the above is possible and which would be a good host to go with.

Any features/services or concerns/feasibility that I should be aware of if I need to implement the above?

Thank you for your time and help.

Cheers!

[quote=force10x;4552172]Hi All,

I am looking at a webhost for my website which is part of my assignment at University and would be devloped using HTML with PHP/MySQL.

Would have loved to have a host in Melbourne, Australia, but they are quiet expensive from what I hear.

I am looking at the following
    1. Incorporate a forum for users to post messages. This could be one of the freely available PHP boards.
    This part is easy...phpbb, mybb, simple machines forums

2. the ability to host multiple subdomain names. Users could signup and be allocated a subdomain of their choice. The subdomains are not for re-sale.
    3. once a subdomain is allocated to the user, a specific webspace (5 Mb) is also allocated to so users can upload files.
    Most hosting plans come with a ton of subdomains for free. You as the owner will have to assign the user names and such. I don't think there are any programs that auto-create subdomains from user-sign-ups. There are programs that allow you to auto-signup for extensions off your main domain.

4. users should be able to upload only specific file types e.g. html,php,jpg,gif,swf,avi,mp3,wmv.
    5. if user has forms on their allocated space, it should not affect the working of the rest of the website.
    As far as I know, you can't limit file-types users upload unless you run your own private FTP server and then that wouldn't be public hosting Users own forums will not affect the rest of the site except for CPU/bandwith resources. If you have alot of users and they use up all your resources on your hosting account, the entire hosting plan will get suspended/asked to move

Some ideas/suggestions:
    1) Get a dedicated server if you plan on having lots of subdomains and lots of active users. You'll be able to better control yoru resources

2) If you go with shared hositng, perhaps go with a Forum that allows sub-forums that your users can add to as their own forum. You'll be able to limit the file-types uploaded. However, all it will be is a forum and not much more so I don't know if it'll work in your case.
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

A reseller account should do the job. You should check this and the reseller forum and find one that fits your budget and specs.

Also if you are running this for study reasons i don't think you would need a aussie host.

Going for a dedi or VPS would prove costly and inneficient as you might not have the know-how to make the server run properly.
    Cheapest Multiple C Class IP Hosting

It looks to me like you need at least a VPS. If this is all for a project that won't have real users (except when you present it), then even a smallish (and thus cheaper) VPS could work.

I think you can do with a single domain, with subdomains. Point the subdomains to different names if need be. I think you can do fine on a shared account with no overselling. Or a simple reseller. Dont think you really would be building something so intensive to ever need a VPS.

Arrow

hello force10x,

Welcome to WHT.

am sure you would not like to spend much on this project.

but still i would advice you to give a thought to VPS as it may serve the purpose.

VPS will give you more control and allow you to confiure apache to work with your site, if you are making this site for your studys, paying a few more $ for a VPS may be worth it in the long run, you don't want the shared host server going down the day you have to show your site to your tutor.

,Ashley

Just out of curiosity is just wonder how a VPS with 256 mb ram would be better than a reseller on a 4gb ram server. How can apache be configured to work better than a reseller?

WIth a Reseller on a 4GB server i am sure there is around 40 + accounts meaning you would be allowed a much lower amount of Memory, also this would affect CPU usuage also.

Where a VPS you are Guaranteed the 256MB, meaning that on a VPS server with 4GB Ram they would host a max of 16 VPS, normal less due to Burstable RAM.

Lets say 12, this means every VPS is Guranteed 256MB of ram, and if needed could burst to a extra 1GB.

This is the advantage you gain by using a VPS, also this is not just linked to Memory but also CPU and I/O readings (Disk writes and Readings), normal the slow down factor of a Shared Server.

On a VPS you can configure Apache to how you want it, remove / add modules that you need, optimize apache and much more, where on a reseller you are stuck with the settings that they have set. Normaly most hosts will not change these due to the effects being server wide, however small amounts of options can be changed in a .htaccess file.

,Ashley

if you are tight on budget go for reseller account, looks to me just a project which you will test without active user particiation(traffic).
    more than half of the features you have listed come with most control panel in use today.
    Best of luck with your search
    Imageleet.com - Premium Hosting Solutions Since 2006
    Shared Hosting, FFmpeg Hosting, Linux VPS and Dedicated Solutions.
    SSD, Litespeed powered, R1soft, cPanel | Softaculous | Rvsitebuilder + FFmpeg, Mencoder, Mplayer, Flvtool2, x264
    http://www.imageleet.com

wow! thats for all the response....I was just finishing my exams and other assignments. I can concetrate on this now.

once again thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes this is for a project that I plan to undertake as part of my studies. I would love to go for a dedicated hosting but dont have the finances for that

If the project is approved I might want to go live with this as I am sure it will help a lot of students like me too.

I guess by VPS you mean a virtual private server. i am given to understand that VPS are as expensive as dedicated hosting.

I am also concerned about security issues. I dont want users to upload malicious files that will take the entire server down. I emailed a web hosting firm and they advised that .

My lack of programming/coding experience mean I will need a good host who would be able to provide me with support as and when I need it.

I know media temple are good, but I also know they are expensive and they dont provide unlimited subdomain creation.

please do suggest which web hosting firms I could consider and the how I could proceed with this.

thanks again for your time and help.

force10x,

I assume you're on a tight budget, but how much are you willing to spend per month for this project? It may be worth developing the project on a local work station first and then later moving it to a host. Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to check and see if your school can provide you with web space.

Good luck!

-b
    ›› MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com
    ›› Enterprise PHP/MySQL Application Hosting
    ›› The ideal solution for forums, blogs, e-commerce, and much more.

Hi,

Good luck for ur project. It is such a tensed period, I can recall from my experience at college.
    Is your budget within $100/month. or lower to $50/month? You have to also consider the 24x7 support as you are weak in coding.

Why don't you make a search on the various plans coming under virtual dedicated servers.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by force10x View Post
    I guess by VPS you mean a virtual private server. i am given to understand that VPS are as expensive as dedicated hosting.
    For you a vps won't be needed. A regular shared account (or maybe a erseller for more control) will be more than enough. Also you'll need to concentrate on the programming, not the server/vps management, so it's better to stay away from those two.

Well most hosts will do, but you'll need to ask them about the software installed, as you might want something specific that they don't have.

you need a webhost with good programming consultancy and support. chk WHT to find one best for yourself

thanks again everyone for taking the time to reply.
    I have posted at a few forums with not much sucess.
    Seems like all the good folks are here ;-)

Carbon thanks for the information. that is what I wanted to know actually.
    I was not sure if the features i want fall under the server management/web host or if I need to get is done by a programer.

would the following be correct?

Web host/service provider domain (which mean a webhost will have to provide these facilities)
    1. need to provide unlimited subdomains
    2. need to provide 24 x 7 support

Programming domain (which means a programmer will have to look into this)
    1. creating a forum/discussion board
    2. automate subdomain creation similar to freehostia.com
    3. automate space allocation once subdomain is created
    4. limit upload of files to a particular type. eg. jpg, gif, html, css
    5. if possible allow users to create simple forms so that it does not mess with the rest of website or other users forms etc.

imountain-
    There are programs that allow you to auto-signup for extensions off your main domain
    what do you mean by auto-signup for extensions off the main domain?

thanks again.

any more suggestions?

any more suggestions?
    thanks?

For all your specifications you will need a big hosting plan with much bigger transfer rate.
    So, look for one who gives you these facilities
    Last edited by bear; 07-04-2007 at 10:31 PM.

wow! Big hosting plan...
    hmm...
    thanks rkasso.

not really sure that the space and bandwidth are the issues here. The problem is that you need to have a lot of control over your hosting account. It will be hard time finding a host that could have all that. A managed VPS now seems to be the best option as limiting file types just on some account can't really be done on shared hosts.

Thanks again

Thanks again carbon,

I have emailed a few web hosting service providers...
    not too sure is they are the good ones to go with though...

any suggestions which hosts I can consider?
    I have been reading on a lot of threads here and cant decide on any particular host.

thanks again.