Thinking about changing the way I host - Any recommendations?

Hi all,

A friend has recommended this forum as the go-to place for web hosting discussions; so here I am!

I run a small web development business and I'm thinking about switching hosts, I'm currently running two dedicated servers (one replacing the other, but I haven't got everything off the old one yet) but I'm starting to think for what I need, its the wrong solution. I build bespoke websites and web apps from scratch and use my own systems, so i'm not just looking for a wordpress/other CMS host.

First of all, I feel like I'm spending too much time messing about with the server; its not been filling me with confidence these last few weeks - and hosting isn't my primary (or even a very profitable) part of my business, I need that time to be spent actually developing websites!

Secondly, I think other forms of hosting might have come on a sufficiently long way since I took out my first server about 7 years ago to allow for a more cost effective solution.

Hosting is something I just offer to my clients for completeness of service (to them, so that they don't have to worry about multiple suppliers for domains/hosting/web-dev) and for ease-of-use (to me, so that I don't have to worry about different hosts with different configurations and setups).

I have websites of various shapes and sizes, some static, some database driven, a couple with fairly big databases, a couple with ecommerce/payment systems, a good mix!

The busiest ones are around 100 visits per day, but there can be occasional spikes. Many of them are actually fairly low traffic.

So what do I need?

* UK(or Europe) based LAMP server with excellent uptime, reliability & speed!
    * A web based panel - My DS's use Plesk 9.5 and Plesk 10. I'm open to others though. CPanel looks OK.
    * GBP billing.
    * PHP 5.3+ (kept up to date with stable) and not in safe mode or with silly restrictions like not being able to use cURL etc.
    * A fairly standard PHP implementation - I hate to find out that variables I rely on are missing, renamed, or otherwise made useless! (Hate it when stuff works locally & breaks when uploaded!)
    * A decent execution time and memory limits in PHP for maintenance scripts and the occasional hungry process (like CMS image upload&resize).
    * The ability to run timed/CRON scripts using PHP.
    * The ability for PHP to have some access, in some cases, to files that aren't on the web root - in case there is stuff you don't want people to be able to access directly, only though PHP pages that can have checked you have permissions etc.
    * MySQL 5 and the ability if need be to have multiple databases per plan (I don't have any at this time, so this is not a deal-breaker).
    * Ability to connect to MySQL remotely for admin - just for me (I can provide a static IP).
    * Protected FTP directories so that clients can have access to files they own, but not systems they lease from me that I might copy into their webspace.
    * Option for mailboxes with Webmail & decent anti-spam.
    * Flexible bandwidth (I dont need a website to go down if it gets popular, just the option to upgrade the plan if it remains so) & Flexible plans.
    * Easy backup solution or option for one.
    * Subdomains

I can't think of anything else, hopefully this list isn't too much to ask (if it is, thats why I went with a DS before!). I rarely allow clients to access their own control panel (its by request only for those who know what they're doing!) but it would be nice if I could brand it with my colours/logo in that situation.

The ability to break even on hosting is essential; a small profit would be nice though to cover admin/billing/time spent. Like I said, hosting isn't my primary business - building websites is, I host because its often convenient both for the client and for me.

Any recommendations?
    Last edited by codecraft; 04-17-2012 at 06:25 AM.

I think you are going to need to give people an idea of what price range you are looking for (or at least what one you want to beat), as there are going to be a ton that will work, but be a huge variety of pricing. So without a guide for that, people could throw out suggestions all day long but may be over what you are paying now.

You will probably like cPanel, I came from a background of hand configuring web servers, and the past year of using it on my server has make it so much easier.

-Greg

Yeah, I think I've encountered CPanel before but a while ago, and only for setting up one site so I didn't hang around on it. I quite liked Plesk 9.5 but not really a fan of version 10 to be honest (the individual panels are okay, but the master panel is too complex for what I need since I bill out at a flat rate currently and don't assign resources, and I don't use the billing manager because we do our invoicing the same way as we do for other work - in a proper accounts package).

My two Dedicated servers are each costing in the region of £75 + VAT per month to run, plus the time I spend working on them which takes away from time I spend working on development. I'm pretty sure I'm paying over the odds for what I need because I dont think the servers are currently anywhere near capacity. (As I said, I only really needed one - but I have some stuff I can't move until i've done some work on it).

Clients currently pay £60 + VAT per year for an all in package with a database & their mailboxes, or double that for high traffic - but I know I could be a lot smarter about how I charge them depending on more specific requirements.

As a further thought, it might be nice if whatever I went with had the ability to manage mailboxes and view any quotas/usage remotely (using my own customer login area). That way I could set up automated billing for them later and cut down on some paperwork.
    Last edited by codecraft; 04-17-2012 at 07:24 AM.