Best way to password protect a folder while wordpress is installed?

Hello,

I have been trying to password protect using my cpanel a folder, the problem is that wordpress 3.3.1 is installed in the root of the website and wordpress says error 403, the file page requested cannot be found. I suspect that wordpress permalink feature is causing the problem.

Any idea how I could password protect a folder even with wordpress installed using permalink?

Thank you,

Ben

I am not familiar with the cPanel function/feature, but would a simple password protection by .htaccess help?

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the reply

I tried to create and .htaccess file in the folder:
    AuthUserFile /home/account_name/.htpasswd
    AuthGroupFile /dev/null
    AuthName EnterPassword
    AuthType Basic

require user password_here

and created a file called .htpasswd with the username and password.

this is what I get when I try to access the file with protection

Error 404 - Page Not Found
    Admin Help: Why am i seeing this page?

This error 404 page means that for some reason the page could not be found or loaded correctly.

It maybe that your Wordpress permalink cache needs refreshing, click this link to view your admin permalink structure then come back and refresh this page.

If the error continues try checking your website link is correct in your browser window or re-creating the page from scratch.

Note: You are seeing this page because you are logged into an admin account, normal website visitors will not see this message.

Wordpress has rewrite rules in the .htaccess.How can I stop the rewrite rules for this folder? Any idea please?

I need to tell wordpress to stop trying to rewrite this url, I believe this is the problem.

Thanks,

Ben

After creating the file .htpasswd, did you run .htpasswd (the file) through htpasswd (the command) to create password?

Like this:
    Code:
    htpasswd -c .htpasswd user_here
    (Note that the -c switch denotes creation, so if you don't want to create a new password file, you need not include the -c.)

Hi Ben:

If you are using the default .htaccess rules for WordPress, they should not cause issues with a folder underneath the WordPress root.

You can test this out by renaming the .htaccess file to something else or otherwise commenting out the .htaccess rewrite entries.

If you do find the rewrites where an issue, the rules in any .htaccess file typically follow through to folders underneath until overwritten by another .htaccess file in a folder below.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Because WP runs through the index.php file password protection can be problematic.

The solution is simple and in the form of a plugin. Try the plugin below and you'll be good:
    AskApache Password Protect

If this doesn't work there are a couple others you can try.

AFAIK, wordpress rules shouldnt cause any conflicts. Try renaming wp htaccess temporarily and then add protection from cpanel and see if it works.

Thank you everyone,

I will try all your solutions and see if one of them work.
    I will post back

Thank you!

Ben

The easiest one to try is using a wordpress plugin without worrying about htaccess issues.
    ►ExpertWebHost.NET- Instant reliable hosting since 2008+
    ►Quality Shared, Reseller, SEO and VPS hosting
    ►Choose to host from US/Uk/Canada/Singapore/Netherlands/Australia - 10 locations