Lost Dedicated Server

I've had a dedicated server for years at Hetzner. This server was sponsored / paid for by a company (A) via another company (B).
    The lease expired and I wanted to continue leasing the server directly from Hetzner, however, company B was not responding to me and Hetzner was saying only company B could authorized this.
    I had full SSH access (always had) and I was basically only asking the provider to take my money and continue to keep the server online, but conversation with the helpdesk was extremely unproductive and as a result I lost the server. I've got recent backups, but I had rather not move the server without real need.

What do you think about this? Couldn't they have let me continue using the server?

Well i understand them not giving it too you without B's permission, otherwise you could of just been some random wanting to steal their data that knew about them giving up the server.

i think what they did was right, but its still a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by XTF0 View Post
    What do you think about this?
    It sucks for you, but Hetzner acted correctly here.

Couldn't they have let me continue using the server?
    If the agreement is with Company B, only Company B can transfer ownership. You are a third party and Hetzner cannot just give you a server, even if you have been the one using it, without consent from the rightful owner.

But since you have recent backups, can't you just order a new server from Hetzner, this time under your name?

but conversation with the helpdesk was extremely unproductive and as a result I lost the server. I've got recent backups, but I had rather not move the server without real need.

What do you think about this? Couldn't they have let me continue using the server?
    Did they provide you with a reason they shut down your service?
    SnelBit.com - Internet Services!
    Shared Web Hosting | VPS Hosting | Europe VPS | SSD Dedicated Servers
    Innovation - Professionalism - Dedication | Simple reasons to choose us for being your Hosting Provider!

It was the right thing to do, I would have been concered about my own servers there if they allowed you to do it.

Look at it from their perspective. If Company B comes back tomorrow with a lawsuit against Hetzner for transferring their server without an authorization.

Who would stand to take a hit?

The point is that I'm not asking them to transfer server ownership, I merely asked them to keep it online until company B could contacted.

Quote Originally Posted by xbhosting View Post
    Did they provide you with a reason they shut down your service?
    Company B? Well, they had a contract with company A and that one ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    But since you have recent backups, can't you just order a new server from Hetzner, this time under your name?
    I can, but having to resetup a server isn't that much fun. Especially when it could've been avoided.