eth1 missing: is cross-connect cable present ?

Very recently we moved to a dual server setup, two P4's running RHE Linux 3.0. The two servers are supposed to be connected with a cross-connect cable, however I am beginning to wonder whether this cable was actually installed.

I want to assign internal Ips to the cross-connect cable and use it so that traffic too and from the second server (database server) does not count towards our bandwidth allowance by going out over the net.

The problem is, the direct cable connection isn't appearing in the interface table when we run 'ifconfig'. The only interface in there other than 'lo' on both servers is 'eth0' which I believe is the main connection out to the internet. Should there not be an 'eth1' which represents the direct cable connection ? Is there a way to determine for certain that this cable is actually physically present between the two servers ?
    -Dhal-

Did youc configured interface with IP ? Interface should be present in interface table and does not matter if cable is pluged or not.

Does the operating system not automatically detect and assign a label to any ethernet connections present on the server ?

If not, how do I go about configuring a new interface for the cross-connect ? The only config files I can find are for the existing eth0 and lo interfaces. I can't find any trace of the cross-connect anywhere.
    -Dhal-

Look in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf. Post the info on the devices of class "NETWORK".
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

There's one entry for class "NETWORK":

class: NETWORK
    bus: PCI
    detached: 0
    device: eth0
    driver: e1000
    desc: "Intel Corporation|82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller"
    network.hwaddr: 00:0C:F1: D7:82:BE
    vendorId: 8086
    deviceId: 100e
    subVendorId: 1028
    subDeviceId: 0156
    pciType: 1
    pcibus: 2
    pcidev: c
    pcifn: 0
    -Dhal-

It appears the machine only has one network adapter. I don't know how they would connect the second adapter via a cross over cable if there is no second adapter.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Turns out that neither the cable nor a second network card was ever installed on either machine when they were set up, even though it was paid for at the time the servers were built. They're getting onto it now, hopefully they will get this done before our bandwidth allowance is exceeded due to the huge amount of database traffic that should have been going through the cable.
    -Dhal-