I have a site that contains viral content

I have a website that contains viral content mainly funny images and gifs, what do you think should I do in terms of finding a host, I am very new at this. I am sorry if I broke any rule by asking this question.

I guess there is something wrong with your current host? First, did you contact them and see what is wrong?

As for a suggestion, it depends on size of your site and how much traffic you get. Would you be able to shine some light on this?
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

It's currently not live

Quote Originally Posted by Bihira View Post
    I guess there is something wrong with your current host? First, did you contact them and see what is wrong?

As for a suggestion, it depends on size of your site and how much traffic you get. Would you be able to shine some light on this?
    No, I have a website and it's currently not live. The SEO guy tells me that at maximum (eventually) it's going to get a traffic of 5000 to possibly 10000 impressions per day. I need your advice regarding what package should I buy or what company to ask to host my site.

What is the average size of your images and estimated traffic that you will receive? This will help you to determine your disk space and bandwidth requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by WebHostON View Post
    What is the average size of your images and estimated traffic that you will receive? This will help you to determine your disk space and bandwidth requirements.
    Are you asking the size of all images included? It can't be determined as yet. The average image's size is 85kb to 200kb usually. I am going to put loads of those so it could take GBs or eventually TBs. But that's after a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by bahadurhussain View Post
    I have a website that contains viral content mainly funny images and gifs, what do you think should I do in terms of finding a host, I am very new at this. I am sorry if I broke any rule by asking this question.

[...]it's currently not live. The SEO guy tells me that at maximum (eventually) it's going to get a traffic of 5000 to possibly 10000 impressions per day. I need your advice regarding what package should I buy or what company to ask to host my site.

[...]The average image's size is 85kb to 200kb usually. I am going to put loads of those so it could take GBs or eventually TBs. But that's after a very long time.
    Hi bahadurhussain,

As the site is not live yet and I would presume you have a limited budget, my suggestion would be to find a solid shared hosting (or cloud hosting) platform.

With most reputable hosting providers their shared hosting platform will be able to handle 2,000 concurrent connections and easily handle 10,000 impressions per day. Using a shared hosting platform will also help to keep you keep your costs down for the initial phase of your site launch.

I would imagine that as your site begins to pick up more traffic you will want to invest in your own dedicated server and possibly a CDN (Content Distribution Network) to help reduce the load from that server and speed up the page load speeds throughout the world.

As for where which hosting provider to use, it would make sense to choose a provider that is geographically close to where most of your expected traffic will be coming from.
    Akin Olagbaiye | akin@tsohost.com | +44 203 137 5608
    Shared Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | Reseller Hosting | Managed Hosting | Domain Names | Email Hosting | SSL Certificates
    TSOHost | www.tsohost.com - Proudly based in the United Kingdom

Just get a normal shared hosting, you can upgrade later if it is need it.
    Fernando - Bitline Hosting Services
    Web Hosting - Since 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Akin Olagbaiye View Post
    With most reputable hosting providers their shared hosting platform will be able to handle 2,000 concurrent connections and easily handle 10,000 impressions per day.
    No reputable shared host is going to allow 2,000 concurrent apache connections. You'll even have issues on a VPS.

We have a client with a popular magazine site in Turkey that does 5,000 concurrent connections and that setup is a web server + DB server with dual hex-core procs and 32gb memory and SSD drives and costs $1700/mo.

Anyhow, 10,000 impressions does not equal 2000 concurrent connections. It might not even equal 10. So just start on a shared host and if you run into resource issues then great, you are succeeding. You'll just need to invest more in the hosting platform.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Quote Originally Posted by bahadurhussain View Post
    No, I have a website and it's currently not live. The SEO guy tells me that at maximum (eventually) it's going to get a traffic of 5000 to possibly 10000 impressions per day.
    This is likely just BS from the "SEO guy". It usually is.
    Just wishful thinking and bluffing to make you think he's worth the money you're paying him.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by NexDog View Post
    No reputable shared host is going to allow 2,000 concurrent apache connections. You'll even have issues on a VPS.

We have a client with a popular magazine site in Turkey that does 5,000 concurrent connections and that setup is a web server + DB server with dual hex-core procs and 32gb memory and SSD drives and costs $1700/mo.

Anyhow, 10,000 impressions does not equal 2000 concurrent connections. It might not even equal 10. So just start on a shared host and if you run into resource issues then great, you are succeeding. You'll just need to invest more in the hosting platform.
    I'm not even going to dignify this with a response.
    Shared Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | Reseller Hosting | Managed Hosting | Domain Names | Email Hosting | SSL Certificates

I'm not even going to dignify this with a response.
    Do you have any idea how a web server works and what it takes to serve 2,000 concurrent connections? If not, just stay quiet. It would be better for everyone.

Do you have any idea how a web server works and what it takes to serve 2,000 concurrent connections? If not, just stay quiet. It would be better for everyone.
    It's probably not a good idea to attempt to insult people or get in an argument on a public forum.

It's probably not a good idea to attempt to insult people or get in an argument on a public forum.
    Please stop disseminating useless and inaccurate information to new users. It does you and your brand a large disservice.

I attempted to educate you on this issue but you believed you were above that. That's fine.

Not sure how you can keep a straight face and tell someone that a shared host allows 2000 concurrent connections. It shows you simply don't understand the terminology.

The industry standard for concurrent connections on shared hosting is 20. Not looking to get into an argument, just looking to educate with correct information which I did and then you posted a hilarious response about dignity.

Please stop disseminating useless and inaccurate information to new users. It does you and your brand a large disservice.

I attempted to educate you on this issue but you believed you were above that. That's fine.

Not sure how you can keep a straight face and tell someone that a shared host allows 2000 concurrent connections. It shows you simply don't understand the terminology.

The industry standard for concurrent connections on shared hosting is 20. Not looking to get into an argument, just looking to educate with correct information which I did and then you posted a hilarious response about dignity.
    Once again I will not dignify this with a response however I would suggest sticking to relevant comments in response to the OP.

Please stop responding. You are embarrassing yourself.

Please stop responding. You are embarrassing yourself.
    Laurence,

As I mentioned in some of my previous posts, it is not a good idea to attempt to insult people or get into an argument on a public forum. It shows a sever lack of professionalism on your behalf.

Instead, it would be beneficial to give the OP advice based on experience and intellect rather than basing all of your responses on your won personal infrastructure. Although I don't don't doubt that you have a brilliant infrastructure, you are not the only hosting provider that exists and there are many other provider, in many different countries, of many different sizes that will have platforms very different to yours.

Unlike some people on here I do not base all of my replies on our own personal infrastructure as I have personal experience with many different providers as well as research and intellect from throughout the years.

I appreciate that you disagree with me on this matter and there is nothing wrong with this but rather than try to 'win a childish argument' perhaps you could remain professional.

MySQL queries = RAM. For 2k, you'll need a bunch of it.
    Shared hosting is (at best) 50 concurrents. Most are about half that, 20-30.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

So about those 2000 concurrent connections on shared hosting. You are simply wrong. There is no disagreement. You are so wrong I feel like I'm trapped in the Twilight Zone.

You refuse to engage with me on your statement and have reduced this thread to a string of strawman arguments. I apologise for trying to educate you on this matter.

I haven't attacked you ONCE. I haven't insulted you ONCE. I simply corrected you and because you have no knowledge to back up your claim you setup these strawmen and say I'm attacking you. Pretty incredible.

Point me to infrastructure that allows 2000 concurrent connection and I'll point you to a thousand that use the industry standard of 20.

I'm here to help and I'm also here to learn. I encourage you to do the same. It's okay to be wrong sometimes.

@Akin Olagbaiye and @NexDog, you're both embarassing and neither of you is helping the OP at all.

No matter what your SEO guy says, just start with shared hosting and up your way from that; no site gets super-popular and has hundreds of visitors immediately in its first few days or weeks, and if it does you can always upgrade to VPS the moment that happens.
    My "ranking" is kidding.
    I'm just a humble client, here to seek help and guidance from the true experts.

@OP Yes, while everyone starting out with a brand new website estimate that they will need a massive infrastructure, the truth of the matter is less than 1% of sites will ever required more than shared hosting.

Find a shared host whom you are happy with and take it from there.

Remember running a website is all about ensuring it remains fast and online, so you just need to be on top of the site performance, keep an eye on the stats and if you are one of the 1%, you will know when you need something more than shared hosting.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Shared hosting it is then

Thank you everyone, this was really helpful and cleared my mind from doubts and indecisiveness. The site is not live yet, though I don't have a limited budget but I am still going to opt for shared hosting as the future of the site is still unclear, it could be disappointing. But I will ask for further assistance if eventually it takes off. Thanks again everyone.