vpn access to internet

I am planning to move my existing reseller account onto a vps with linux/cpanel. Posted this in dedicated as well as vps as if need a dedicated server then hopefully someone will let me know.

The tricky part though. I was hoping the vps/dedicated would also be able to function as a VPN server. Basically I want to allow staff who are off site access to files placed on the server and in addition allow them to use the vpn to get internet access for things like internet telephony, messenger etc.
    Basically they can quite easily get wireless connections in coffee shops etc but often are unable to access certain ports for things like Internet Telephony, messenger. Would I be able to use the server for this role at the same time as hosting sites and what software would I need to do this.

ipeliminator.com provide a vpn internet service. but i figure that the limited staff that would use the service would never eat up the bandwidth and so might as well use the vps/dedicated server for their vpn internet access as well to save costs. but is it possible?

any advice greatly appreciated.

james.

Quote Originally Posted by help_james84
    any advice greatly appreciated.
    1. Don't cross post
    2. Look into ssh and ssh tunneling

would ssh tunneling not only give me access to programs that allow entering of a proxy ip address. i.e. some software doesnt allow a proxy to be entered and just uses the standard connection it picks up from windows.
    i thought if i used vpn then all internet requests would go through the vpn server.

Yes it does require a proxy.
    The easy route for what you want to do would be to install PoPToP, but it isn't the most secure protocol. IPSec would be better, but is usually more difficult to configure. There is http://openvpn.net/ too. I don't have any experience with it, but it looks like a good middle ground.

you might want to look into a program called poptop, pptp server for linux. in winxp setting up a vpn connection is about as easy as setting up a new dialup account, so assuming the server has enough ips, it should be pretty simple (reletively speaking) to get this going.

i also have tried the vpn server built into star-os (www.star-os.com). but star os is a router os, that is not configurable for extra services, so probably not too useful in this case. you might look into which vpn server software they've bundled into their system.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com