Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's your race?

Just curious (hopefully no one thinks I'm being racist), what's your race?

I'm Human.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

As in Caucasion, Chinese, Indian, Black (African American or whatever is the proper term) not orcs, humans, aliens, robots

@*$ Games

And just to add, Chinese here.

I'm a whiteboy.

I don't like the term "caucasian"
    I use "white" or if I'm in a good mood or with friends, I'll use "whiteboy" or "honky"

East European, Caribbean, Chinese
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

Race? No such thing, there is but one species of man, Homo Sapiens. There are no sub-species of man. Race is something that was invented.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Cars.

Wait. What?
    Cody Watson
    Business Student @ SFU [Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Management & Technology, Co-op Certificate, Honours]

Wasn't there a big thread about this before? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by virginia
    I... AM.... CANADIAN.
    I wish I was Canadian...

I'm Geekish / Caucasion

Quote Originally Posted by trau
    Race? No such thing, there is but one species of man, Homo Sapiens. There are no sub-species of man. Race is something that was invented.
    What? That sounds like a crock of philosophical fallacies. A "race" refers to "a local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics." While this might simply be a mental or social construct, I think it to be pretty evident that a particular group of people from a particular geographic region have distinct characteristics by which they can be identified and therefore lumped into one category which we so label "race," as existentially offensive that notion might be.

Can I just claim International Mut, and claim them all?
    WHT's Own Tekster

Do i have a "Technical Support" sign on my back?
    Listen To Tekster Radio!

I'm whiteout'ish colored.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

Quote Originally Posted by SniperDevil
    What? That sounds like a crock of philosophical fallacies. A "race" refers to "a local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics." While this might simply be a mental or social construct, I think it to be pretty evident that a particular group of people from a particular geographic region have distinct characteristics by which they can be identified and therefore lumped into one category which we so label "race," as existentially offensive that notion might be.
    Exactly my point, it is a social construct. And in today's world with populations relocating all over the place, a construct that is rapidly becoming archaic.
    My friend was born in Germany (dual US-German citizenship), his mother can trace her roots back in that region for over a dozen generations. His father was born in England and emigrated to the USA, where he served in the Army Air Corp (ended up in Germany). Racial standards say he is an African-American, yet he say's if he's anything besides a plain old american he's a German-American.
    We may all have different ethnic backgrounds, but we are all members of the same human race (species).

For what it's worth my ethnic origins go back to Germany (Mom was born there, Dad grew up there)
    Last edited by trau; 01-17-2006 at 01:07 AM.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

I'm everything. I look white, but I've got both east and west european, native american, and asian in me.

English American

Caucasion, White Boy, English, Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by trau
    Exactly my point, it is a social construct. And in today's world with populations relocating all over the place, a construct that is rapidly becoming archaic.
    My friend was born in Germany (dual US-German citizenship), his mother can trace her roots back in that region for over a dozen generations. His father was born in England and emigrated to the USA, where he served in the Army Air Corp (ended up in Germany). Racial standards say he is an African-American, yet he say's if he's anything besides a plain old american he's a German-American.
    We may all have different ethnic backgrounds, but we are all members of the same human race (species).

For what it's worth my ethnic origins go back to Germany (Mom was born there, Dad grew up there)
    It may be a social construct in terms of the character-defining attributes of a region-specific people, but in terms of physical features, the term is as meaningful as ever: it refers to a group of people from a similar geographic region with distinct physical characteristics.

asian american

I'm 75% caucasian, 25% alcoholian.

I don't think Race can distinguish persons from persons, for Man are all man. Only

can it distinguish Man from animal.
    God bless China!

I am Chinese.
    God bless China!

homo sapiens

Quote Originally Posted by SniperDevil
    It may be a social construct in terms of the character-defining attributes of a region-specific people, but in terms of physical features, the term is as meaningful as ever: it refers to a group of people from a similar geographic region with distinct physical characteristics.
    Actually that's all crap. The 'genetic differences' between cultures are less than what we 'percieve' looking at our 'neighbours'. We may look a little different, but there are no 'races' at a genetic/scientific level.

However, in keeping with the spirit of the thread my family and I are as follows:

Me / Father:
    English, Irish, Scottish (several generations back)
    Born: New Zealand
    Raised: Australia
    Living: (Me) USA.
    Famous Relatives:
    1671 - Rob Roy McGregor Born

Born in 1671 at Loch Katrine, the third son of a Lieutenant-Colonel, MacGregor’s inherited long arms and great strength gave him abilities with the broadsword that made his name known to many. He fought at Killiecrankie for Viscount Dundee in 1689 before joining the Lennox Watch.
    When the name MacGregor was again outlawed in 1694 he used his mother’s name of Campbell. His acquisitions of land and cattle brought him prosperity until 1711 when he persuaded a group led by the Duke of Montrose to advance him £1000 for investment in herding. His chief drover made off with the letters of credit, leaving MacGregor to face a charge of embezzlement. He did not answer to the charge or ensuing arrest warrant and was declared an outlaw.

He moved to the Trossachs lands of the Earl of Breadalbane, who was no friend of Montrose, and from there rustled cattle from Montrose’s lowland estates.

In the Rising of 1715, he mustered the Clan Gregor to fight for the Jacobites. He led his men in successful raids around Loch Lomond and Callander. Despite his inactivity during the Battle of Sheriffmuir, he was charged with High Treason.

From 1716 he lived at Glen Shira on the Duke of Argyll’s land. He was twice captured and twice dramatically escaped with style that added to his fame.

In 1725, following his decision to turn himself in to General Wade, he received a pardon from the King and after thirteen years was no longer an outlaw.
    ERNEST RUTHERFORD (1871-1937), English atomic physicist, professor at the Victoria University, Manchester, was awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry "for his investigations into the disintegration of the elements, and the chemistry of radioactive substances."
    My daughter (and myself) can still wear the McGregor Clan's kilt my birth and I have a sterling silver pin of the Clan's badge (Translation" Royal Is My Race") with a Lion's head as the centerpiece.

As for the rest of my family:

Mother: Irish, English (she claims there's relation to the Wallaces, though we've never be able to confirm it.

Wife's Family:

Father:
    English, German, Cherokee
    Mother:
    Thai, Indian

My Daughter:

English, Irish, Scottish, German, Cherokee, Thai, Indian. (within four generations)
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast