Thread: Newbie

Question Newbie

I would just like to ask, Where can I go to learn what is needed to run a webhosting service?
    And how to use all the programs?

Just to let you know I have been running my own webserver for a year now, Still have a lot to learn and would like to figure it out before I get into this world.
    Thanks

welcome mliceberg5! I would suggest you read around the software forum. This site helps a lot, especially the search button, if you need anyhelp you can email me and I will assist you!

P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Welcome to wht
    HostHeadQuarters.com
    Reliable Hosting
    Great Support

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I was hoping it would be that way.
    Didn't know if you guys were old webhosters propriatory No newbies club.
    From what I was reading it gave the confidence to post finally.

I think I have a good start so far,

Perl Active state installed w/ CGI mod.
    PHP installed.
    I have my own DNS, Email (need to upgrade to more professional one), FTP And Apache 2.42 installed and running.
    Windows 2000 server AD activated.
    But I totally don't quite understand all these programs yet.
    Again thanks for the help.
    Last edited by mliceberg5; 05-18-2003 at 09:45 PM.

You should start with a control panel like CPanel, Ensim or Plesk. These control panels have everything installed with them (apache, email, cgi, php, dns, etc...)

I strongly suggest you start out with a reseller plan with one of the hosts around here, and work your way up to your own managed dedicated server.
    www.prolinker.com - free automatic linking to your website

Originally posted by mattschinkel
    You should start with a control panel like CPanel, Ensim or Plesk. These control panels have everything installed with them (apache, email, cgi, php, dns, etc...)

I strongly suggest you start out with a reseller plan with one of the hosts around here, and work your way up to your own managed dedicated server.
    It sounds like he is running a server from home and wants to start a hosting business on it.

That's why I suggest a reseller plan

If you get a reseller plan...
    1. Much better uptime and reliability
    2. Speed!
    3. Support!!
    4. Cheap!

Having a server at home is ok to practice on, of course you still need a control panel.

Yes I am running it from home.
    Right now I have the webserver on a PIII 1 ghz w/ 654 ram.
    Broadcasting on a ADSL 640/1.5. (for now) plan on getting a SDSL 1.1 as soon as it is needed and more as needed.
    I have a dual xeon 2.0 w/ a 20 gig HD for the OS & 2 80 gig 8mb of cache Raided together, being made for me now.

Just want to get set up right before jumping in to far and find out I can't handle the hosting.

Maybe you should look into colocation...
    You'll get flamed around here if you run your servers from home.
    ADSL isn't sufficient... Do you have backup power? a good rounter? etc....

Besides.... What happens if you ever decide to move?

Not moving for a long time. At least 15 years. Plan on getting a Generator and UPS when I go public. I know I have a lot to learn and a lot to figure out.
    I have thought of Colocation, Better speed, power back up, Etc...
    I know ADSL is not sufficient, But it is good for practicing till I can go public.

The thing is this is only one step to where I want to go.
    Plan on starting my own WISP and wanted this part of that down before I step into that also.
    For that one I will need to either have an office or sublet.

Originally posted by mattschinkel
    That's why I suggest a reseller plan

Agree. A reseller plan is (or should be) the first step in the webhosting industry.

You can learn quite a bit if you start out as a reseller, and you can start your services right away.

There is a guide someone created that you can find here:

http://www.xinium.com/index.php?p=hosting_guide
    www.idologic.com
    www.demologic.com
    A company committed to people serious about their websites - If you don't DO LOGIC - what do you do?Check Us Out

You can't really go wrong with a reseller account as a young host.

Welcome!

Originally posted by mliceberg5
    Yes I am running it from home.
    Right now I have the webserver on a PIII 1 ghz w/ 654 ram.
    Broadcasting on a ADSL 640/1.5. (for now) plan on getting a SDSL 1.1 as soon as it is needed and more as needed.
    I have a dual xeon 2.0 w/ a 20 gig HD for the OS & 2 80 gig 8mb of cache Raided together, being made for me now.

Just want to get set up right before jumping in to far and find out I can't handle the hosting.
    Does speakeasy know that you are running a server? Most ISPs don't allow it. What happens if you sign up a few sites and speakeasy shuts you down because you're using too much bandwidth?

Ok I will check into it.
    Thanks

PS. Yes Speakeasy is well aware of what I am doing,
    That is one of the selling points I liked about them.

Originally posted by mliceberg5
    Ok I will check into it.
    Thanks

PS. Yes Speakeasy is well aware of what I am doing,
    That is one of the selling points I liked about them.
    You should still check to see what the bandwidth cap is. I really don't think it's a good idea to run a server from home, at least not to host other peoples' sites.
    Make sure you are constantly monitoring for viruses and that you have your firewall well configured. Security is going to be the main issue.
    I did a ping and you get good speed from your site but with a P3 you won't want to have too many sites especially if you are going to offer cgi-bin access which most people expect.
    You will need a control panel.
    You should know apache and php like the back of your hand so read everything you can and experiment with many different scripts before going online.
    Having said all that, I think that instead of investing all of that money in a Duel Xeon you should invest in a good quality reseller account.
    Hosting other peoples' sites is a big responsibility and if they are commerce sites their ability to make money is dependant on your ability to keep your server alive.

Welcome mliceberg5 .
    It's a nice to see you here posting this thread
    It is always nice to start with WHT!
    Good luck...
    BUY SELL WEBMASTER GOODS AT OnlyWebmasters.Com Auctions
    CHECK YOUR GOOGLE PAGERANK CLICK HERE

Originally posted by blue27
    You should still check to see what the bandwidth cap is.

Make sure you are constantly monitoring for viruses and that you have your firewall well configured. Security is going to be the main issue.

I did a ping and you get good speed from your site but with a P3 you won't want to have too many sites especially if you are going to offer cgi-bin access which most people expect.

You will need a control panel.

You should know apache and php like the back of your hand so read everything you can and experiment with many different scripts before going online.

Having said all that, I think that instead of investing all of that money in a Duel Xeon you should invest in a good quality reseller account.
    Bandwith cap, If i am right is 648 up and 1.5 dn but that is ADSL which is not garrenteed. I know that I have plans on upgrading to get more bandwith.

Security & viruses are my main objectives right now. I am trying out serveral software firewalls till I can get or make a hardware firewall, And I have my EYE on Norton antivirus corp network 8.0.

The P3 is just to get experiance w/ Apache, php, perl, Mysql, formscripts and anything else I can learn.

Control pannel is something I didn't know about and will and plan on looking into, Along w/ the Reseller acount.

I really had hoped you all would be nice enough to help a new guy out, And it has been a real help. I know now more is needed for me to learn, One day soon I hope to have my own business. Nothing like it in the world, Lots of work but much more rewarding than working for someone else. And this field is something that intrigues me, I am like and Addict can't get enough of it. Just started late. Been doing the IT/ Comp thing for like 7-8 years now, and I am 38. Steap learning curve.
    Thanks all of you I will look into all this stuff.

I would also suggest you reseller. Did it for me .

Bandwith cap, If i am right is 648 up and 1.5 dn but that is ADSL
    Actually I meant bandwidth per month. Many cap it at 20-30 gb.

upload is very important....
    1mbps = 350gb/mo right??
    so I guess 648kbps = about 200gb transfer per month.

How much are you paying for it? How much per additional IP?

Other problems....
    -It is not burstable!
    -Only about 4-5 cable users can download something at the same time without it slowing down your sites.
    -You will not get 648 upload during peak hours
    -Clients may traceroute you and see that you are on ADSL.
    -What do you tell your customers when they ask you where you collocate your servers?
    -What is the network uptime percentage? How fast are fixes?

I looked into all this when I started out, It's just not possible. Bandwidth prices are sky high for home use (especially in canada)

One of my friends tried it and wasted a lot of money...

Anyways, good luck