Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What is green hosting?

Hi I need to know about Green hosting so please let me know about it with some examples for clarification. Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

Datacenters consume a lot of energy keeping all those servers on and online. Energy is not only consumed by servers but also in HVAC to keep electronics cool, backup energy sources such as batteries and generators, lighting, etc. That's why many providers are going "Green hosting", meaning that they use methods and technologies to reduce CO2 emissions, such as wind generators, cloud hosting to reduce server idle resources, solar panels, etc. That is green hosting.

Hope it is clear.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by amk2010 View Post
    What is green hosting?
    A gimmick.
      1 Not allowed!

Some hosting companies claim to power their datacenters using wind. FatCow is an example. Their homepage says "Powered by 100% Wind Energy". They also have graphics of windmills at the bottom of the page. Though, I don't see any mention of the word "green". Even if they're telling the truth, that word seems gimmicky to me.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for your replies. I have also found related info on wikipedia and sharing here as well for others: Green or Eco-friendly website hosting is a recent addition to the field of website hosting which involves a given website hosting company attempting to prove that they are not having any negative impact on the environment in an attempt to attract consumers.
    Last edited by amk2010; 03-24-2011 at 10:45 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Very nice information provided , thanks for sharing it
    || 24x7CloudServerManagement | Server Management & Technical Support ||
    || Hosting Infrastructure & Customer Service Mangement 24x7 | Cpanel Server Management ||
    || https://www.24x7cloudservermanagement.com ||
      0 Not allowed!

The two best examples I know of are:

1. a DC in the UK owned by a water & sewage utility, which generates much of it's own power from sewage sludge biomass (methane coming from the sludge used to power turbines to create electricity)

2. Us! All the power on the main Icelandic power grid comes from hydro or geo-thermal sources, so any DC in Iceland has zero carbon emissions from their power sources.

I'm sure someone will tell me if I am wrong, but I believe that all the 'wind-powered' DCs are simply buying so-called green electricity - there are plenty of debates elsewhere regarding the real effectiveness of this.
    Advania Thor Data Centre Iceland - www.thordc.com
    High Spec Colocation and Dedicated Servers, powered by cheap, abundant and 100% renewable energy.
    Enterprise grade hosting, ISO27001 accredited for security, and all at fantastic pricing.

brian.rae@thordc.com
      0 Not allowed!

One datacenter near me has their server racks placed in such a way that the heat can be collected from them and then forced back through the HVAC system to heat the rest of the building. I guess that would be a good example of "green" hosting.
    Charles E. Decker IV (President) - Decker Services LLC
    Fast & Affordable Hosting, Reseller Accounts & Dedicated Servers
    Don't sacrifice price for quality or trust a fly-by-night company!
    Uptime: 99.98% | Better Business Bureau Rating: A- | Online Since: 1998
      0 Not allowed!

Green hosting is enviromentally friendly hosting, when datacentres use eco friendly ways to produce their services. They probably use wind turbines to get their energy.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Noppix View Post
    A gimmick.
    I think i have to agree with you that It's a gimmick.

The Slightest is Still JUMBO
      0 Not allowed!

Has anyone tried Green hosting from glowhost.com?
      0 Not allowed!

It's Datacentres & or hosts who use these DCs that are powered by renewable energy sources.

It doesn't matter whether your buying the power from a energy supplier that produces energy from a renewable source or you do DIY with a windmill on your DC roof with backup from a green electricity supplier - it's all about reducing your energy from non-renewable sources.

It's not a gimmick it's a genuine pro-active & concerted effort at reducing & or eliminating your reliance on non-renewable sources.

Better than doing nothing & promotes innovation IMHO
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: DTS-Net
      0 Not allowed!

The amount of energy and 'pollution' data centers generate is microscopic compared to other things. It is indeed a gimmick in attempt to follow a 'positive, go green' trend.
      0 Not allowed!

Well it comes down the word green i guess. Little physics lesson for you all.

Energy is never created nor destroyed. Simply transfered. If you can make use of all that energy in various different forms of its state. (From Wind/Hydro > Create electrictiy to power servers > servers create heat which is then used to heat the rest of the building) That is a good way to describe green. Its original input is renewable engery (no carbon emmissions) and its off product from the servers is still used to heat the building.
    SIP Trunking and VoIP Lines, Numbering (DIDs and DDIs), Low Cost Minute add-ons, Secure SIP and VoIP. Business and Enterprise Grade Quality, Low Cost and Highly Competitive. Available at: https://www.voipyonder.com/
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Acozilla View Post
    The amount of energy and 'pollution' data centers generate is microscopic compared to other things. It is indeed a gimmick in attempt to follow a 'positive, go green' trend.
    Say that when you have no infinite non-renewable resources left to use

Oh but, wait it's happening right now, in our lifetime ... don't worry about the future cause we won't be here to see it happen

Humans & their foolish blind ways never ceases to amaze me
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
      0 Not allowed!

DCs are indeed minute in comparison but, 2 sayings:
    Look after the pennies & the pounds will look after themselves
    Think local, act global
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
      0 Not allowed!

At the end of the day. We can have all this big campaign about green this and green that. Unless people come up with initive ways to continue doing what they are doing now, but green then people will not do it. Take the car. You have all these companies saying electric cars are the future. Your joking right. Actually think about it practicality. You need to recharge every 200 or so miles. Which i guess is alright. (Like any normal car). However.... wait! it takes about 6-8 hours to fully charge. People are not going to do that. They say the technology will be here shortly fully recharge things within 5-10minutes.... its not here yet. Infact when it hasn't even been figured scientifically. So when it is, it will be at least 2/3 years before it hits the market.

Not to mention the average family these days does not have the financial luxury to have 2 cars. One for trips and the other around the city.

I personally favor the hydrogen car. Only emission is water and it takes the same amount of time to topup as a normal gas car.

The truth is we have got use to all this technology and people do not want to let it go. A good example of this is when i went Peru a few months ago into the amazon. I met people who have never seen a mobile phone before... let alone an iphone. Our company did some work out there and we were shocked how happy were without technology. When we had no signal one of my colleagues was almost acting like a little girl because he couldn't go online.

Sorry to hijack. But i think we need to work on a good balance.
    SIP Trunking and VoIP Lines, Numbering (DIDs and DDIs), Low Cost Minute add-ons, Secure SIP and VoIP. Business and Enterprise Grade Quality, Low Cost and Highly Competitive. Available at: https://www.voipyonder.com/
      0 Not allowed!

Sadly not actually true. Around 20% of a typical large business's CO2 output comes from IT. The global IT industry generates about the same amount of CO2 as the airline industry (and growing much faster). US data centres produce more CO2 than the entire country of Argentina, etc etc etc.

The IT industry also generates a lot of environmental benefits (not driving to the bank to check your balance, as one small example) but it's impacts are far from microscopic.
    Advania Thor Data Centre Iceland - www.thordc.com
    High Spec Colocation and Dedicated Servers, powered by cheap, abundant and 100% renewable energy.
    Enterprise grade hosting, ISO27001 accredited for security, and all at fantastic pricing.

brian.rae@thordc.com
      0 Not allowed!

Here is a link I found on CO2 emissions comming from DC
    http://www.thewhir.com/blogs/Brian_Fry

It contains a few other links to studies made that claim CO2 emissions of DC are equivalent to CO2 emissions from aviation industry.

Just thought you may be interested.
    Web designer, programmer & webmaster for 7+ years
    Hosting my 9 sites in Web hosting México
    CentOS|cPanel|R1Soft|Softaculous|Cloud Hosting|Green Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by deeplist View Post
    One datacenter near me has their server racks placed in such a way that the heat can be collected from them and then forced back through the HVAC system to heat the rest of the building. I guess that would be a good example of "green" hosting.
    My employer was doing that 20 years ago. The power in our building is just normal power. Because the DC heats the building, our heating bill is lower, but I wouldn't say it was done with any "green" morives.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by lalog00 View Post
    Datacenters consume a lot of energy keeping all those servers on and online. Energy is not only consumed by servers but also in HVAC to keep electronics cool, backup energy sources such as batteries and generators, lighting, etc. That's why many providers are going "Green hosting", meaning that they use methods and technologies to reduce CO2 emissions, such as wind generators, cloud hosting to reduce server idle resources, solar panels, etc. That is green hosting.

Hope it is clear.
    For me is clear now. Thanks for sharing I was looking to explain for sometime what green hosting means.
    Coupon Site Script - Turnkey Affiliate Moneymaking Business

Code Coupon Discount - Coupon Site Script in Action
      0 Not allowed!

A very useful information indeed.
      0 Not allowed!

There is a recent rise in the popularity of Green Web Hosting because of the concern for the nature. Many industries have taken action and play their part in helping by reducing energy consumption and recycling. The same goes for the web hosting industry.

Firstly, let get a better idea about green web hosting. This type of hosting is a kind that uses nature-friendly power source for their daily activities. As we all know, servers are like appliances that requires electricity. The servers are on 24 hours a day and therefore, it consumes a lot of energy. So, green web hosting companies put their efforts in using only renewable energy sources.

Not all companies have the resources to generate their own renewable energy. Therefore, those companies can turn to supplied energy by choosing to buy Renewable Energy Certificates. By doing this, they can get energy generated by wind, solar or even biogas. Companies that generate their own energy also use energy generated by either solar power, wind turbines or other methods. This gives them ability to power their machines with this renewable energy.
    So, what does this entire means? It means that web hosting companies are saving the planet by reducing carbon emission. It also allows companies to purchase offsets enabling them to mitigate their own greenhouse emissions. So, this can ease the hosting company from starting their own wind farm or solar power generator.

Another added value that the green web hosting has is their special offers on packages to non-profit organizations. It is their act to not only encourages organizations to use web hosting but also encouraging the use of renewable energy and paperless working environment. Some web host with green hosting also provide web host services to companies that have telecommuting being used by their staff and workers.

However, does green hosting cost more? Well, this is a question that we all need to think deep about. Green we hosting companies may run at a higher daily operation cost compared to other web host provider companies but the idea of having a paperless company using renewable energy is something that is encouraging. With a single company operating in this way, it can reduce a whole lot of waste and reduce a lot on energy consumption which will directly help in preserving the nature. So, saving the earth does come with a price and it is not a big one to pay if you're supporting a green web hosting company. Not only do you play your part in saving nature, you also get you web hosting needs.
    Last edited by 000005; 04-28-2011 at 12:26 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

if you buy a hosting package from a hosting company which follow green standards like using wind power, upgrading hardware, automate systems etc. is called green hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

The data centers use servers which are powered by direct current instead of alternating current "may have that backwards" and they support public transportation for employees and recyclicng. Actually it could mean a lot of different things!
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast