Thread: Selling website

Selling website

I'm considering selling my website, and wondering how much are people ready to pay for such site.

- Website is related to web design and templates.
    - Website has google PR 8.
    - Website has 5000+ incoming links according to google and 250,000+ incoming links according to alltheweb (all links are legitemate from different users who are using my templates on their websites)
    - Website has about 1000 unique visitors per day.
    - Right now website brings about $500 monthly income from ads alone, but that's with only 4 text ads. You can put much more text links and get more profit from ads. And that's without counting income from content.
    - Website comes with unique high quality template (designed by me)

P.S. I'm not selling site yet and will not post link to site and will not tell who I am. I'm just asking how much such site might be sold for.

Common practice dictates if you can show consistent revenue over a respectable period of time, continued growth and legitimate statistics, you can probably command a price equal to your two previous years of revenue.

Of course, who knows what the market will actually bear once you officially place your site up for sale?
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

I'm not selling whole business. Only website. So I provided only information about website, not business.

Profit from website is $500/month with only few ads, but common practice is to put much more ads so $1000+/month can be easily achieved only with ads. And finding advertizers is very easy. I charge $150/month for text link and many people are happy to pay this for link on PR 8 site, but I have only 4 ads because I promised current advertizers that there will be only few links (of course with new owners rules will change and he can put as many ads as he wants).

And all visitors are related to web design and templates, so site can be easily used for hosting or templates sales and that would add more profit.

All other income is from custom web design jobs, but that is a different issue. So providing income statistics is not an option.

Hovewer, I can provide visitors statistics (i'm using extremetracking.com counter for about 2 years) so its not a problem. And site has very very good reputation so there won't be any problems with ligitimacy of sale.

Few questions:

1. Can anyone point me to any recent sales of sites of similar size? I'm interested in looking at prices for those sales so I would figure out starting price.

2. What is the best place to sell such site (not auction site. something like WHT or similar forum)?
    Last edited by LocalDesigner; 06-17-2004 at 04:47 PM.

can I ask what the reason for the sale is?

how much are u wanting for the site?

I've found that most website sales, average your income over the last 3 months, and multiply that by 12 (months) to acquire your asking price. So, in your case you may want to start at $6,000, and add more value considering it's a PR8 with 5-250,000 inbound links.

Can you let me know how much you want for the site if you do decide to sell it please.

Originally posted by iblive
    can I ask what the reason for the sale is?
    I'm bored with current projects and want to start something new, but that site with all visitors and customers slows me down. Selling site should give me money so I could spend some time developing new sites with completely new ideas.

Originally posted by SuZ00
    Can you let me know how much you want for the site if you do decide to sell it please.
    I don't know yet. That's why i'm asking opinions. I'll think about this whole selling thing over weekend and will probably start selling on Monday.

What niche is the site in ? Whats it about ? eg travel site, adult site, games site ?

web design and templates.

are we allowed to review the site before purchasing?

If the poster wants to sell the site, they will post in the request forum, until then, please discuss only the possible value of the site (without seeing it.)
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

Originally posted by nickn
    If the poster wants to sell the site, they will post in the request forum, until then, please discuss only the possible value of the site (without seeing it.)
    Thank you. That's exactly why i didn't post any links, don't use my real name (if i would use my name almost everyone would know what site i'm talking about) and don't have any website setup in profile. When i will be selling it I will post it in other offers and requests forum (using different login), but until then its all a theoretical discussion.

Can anyone show me sales of large established websites? (i want to see examples of similar sales)

Originally posted by LocalDesigner
    Thank you. That's exactly why i didn't post any links, don't use my real name (if i would use my name almost everyone would know what site i'm talking about)
    So you abuse the rules?

Members are permitted a maximum of one account per person, regardless of how many companies you represent. If you choose to ignore this important restriction, all your accounts will be disabled.

ohh... I'm very sorry. Then please kill this account. For futher replies in this thread I'll use my main account.