* where do I start?

Ok, I hope I don't offend anyone by asking really stupid questions, but I am a total newbie and could really use some advice.

I want to put together a website, but I haven't got the content ready, so in the meantime I would just like to secure my domain name. How do I go about doing that?

Can I go to any of the many sites who offer that service, or are some of them dodgy and will take your money but not actually register the name?

Once I've registered a name, does that mean that no-one else can get it, for sure?

Is it best to use someone like Network Solutions and have them be your web host as well , or can you register a name somewhere and have the site hosted somewhere else? Is it more cost effective to do the two things in the one place?

I literally know nothing about this topic, so don't be afraid to talk to me like I'm two! If this has all been covered already in other threads feel free to point me towards them.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!!

Can I go to any of the many sites who offer that service, or are some of them dodgy and will take your money but not actually register the name?
    There are many problems you can have with a registrar. When you find a "site" (domain name registrar) that you might be interested in registering your domain name with, search this forum for that company's name and read what people say about it.

Once I've registered a name, does that mean that no-one else can get it, for sure?
    Problems sometimes arise during a transfer from one registrar to another, or if someone claims it's their trademark, or your payment is late, or the registrar disappears, etc. Find one with as few complaints about it as possible.

Is it best to use someone like Network Solutions and have them be your web host as well , or can you register a name somewhere and have the site hosted somewhere else? Is it more cost effective to do the two things in the one place?
    Look at the prices. It varies. You don't have to do both at the same place.

I literally know nothing about this topic, so don't be afraid to talk to me like I'm two! If this has all been covered already in other threads feel free to point me towards them.
    It's probably not too hard to find a tutorial on these basics with your favorite search engine.

Thanks Wassercrats! I'll follow your advice and do some searches.

Welcome aboard, fritzi! Don't be afraid to ask even the silliest of
    questions since not too many really know this subject except for
    those who put time and commitment to learning it.

Aside from what Wassercrats, the short answer is once you get
    your desired domain name, no one else can get it except if your
    registered name potentially infringes on another's trademark. Be
    careful on this.

Other than that, do your homework, and get that name!

Speaking of which, can you email me at davezanATdavezanDOT
    com? Or go check my blog at my sig file below...

Welcome to the forum, fritzi

The only stupid question is the one you never ask.

To get you started, you might want to checkout some of the threads in a great section here on WHT, the Domain Name Tutorials here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumd...?s=&forumid=71

As far as a registrar to choose, most of us think Network Solutions is a bit of a rip-off. You will get the same domain name and rights with better value if you try popular and stable registration sites like www.NameCheap.com , www.RegisterFly.com or even www.GoDaddy.com

Although it is a little more work, I don't recommend that you combine your hosting with your domain name registration. It just seems to work out better. Domain registrars seem to be good at registering and maintaing domain names but are generally poor at hosting. Web hosts are usually good at keep their servers up and running but are sometimes "sticky" about putting your domain name under their company name. You want to make sure that your domain name is always under your name and your control.

There are usually great deals down in the advertising forums here on hosting your site. Again, do a quick search to see what other members have said about the hosting provider.

Good Luck! You could not have found a better resource than WHT to get you started.
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

Re: where do I start?

Originally posted by fritzi

Originally posted by fritzi
    Don't forget to renew your domain every year, otherwise you may lose your domain. Some registration sites have auto-renew feature, they'll charge your credit card and renew your domain every year.

You can register your domain at one place, and host your website at another place. Sometimes, this kind of arrangement can save you some money, $5-$25/year I estimate. But some web hosting plans have already included domain names in them without extra charge.
    HostingSearch.org
    www.hostingsearch.org
    Compare Top Web Hosting Plans
    Find The Lowest Domain Prices