Internet security and Firewalls

Hi,

Internet security is a major concern for me as it is for everybody. I use a wired cable internet connection and I want my computer to every secure. What can I do make it secure? Yes, I use ssl and tls for my emails.

Which is the best free firewall? What I do not like about firewalls is I cannot access some websites because of it. Then I have to allow it and all that ****.. What I want is to install a firewall and forgot it. I want to access all the web sites but at the same time I would like to maintain security. Am I asking too much from a free firewall? If so, please recommend a paid one as well.

Just to clear things up, SPAM is not a problem for me. I do not want anyone to have a clue of what I am doing from my PC like online purchasing etc.

Thanks in advance
    - Yash Rungta

Firewalls are like any other security measure.. You have to teach it your habits which usually means having to configure every little aspect of how you surf which is not a 'set and forget' type thing.. and usually is not possible with a 'free' version.

It is important to note that you are never going to be 100% secure unless you unplug your PC The trick is finding a good balance because the more you tighten things down the harder it is for you to get anything done without jumping through hoops..

I would suggest investing in a commercial firewall if your data is that valuble to you.. But generally hackers really don't go after home PC's so it's a give and take thing in the end..

Thanks for you reply,

So can you please recommend a good free firewall?
    - Yash Rungta

It's not the hackers getting in that is most concerning to me nowadays, it's the crap spyware/malware is sending out that bothers me (the recent CWS exploit for example).

Zone alarm is pretty much tops for the free route, even against the paid firewalls, but it too will ask you to verify sites. But as X-Gaming said, you will have to "teach" any firewall (even the built-in XP firewall) which information is safe. I would rather be annoyed for a few seconds rather than the 80 hours (average) that it takes to clear up an identity theft caused by a sneaky keylogger or trojan that hasn't been identified by the anti-virus vendors.

While I know there are those that will say "no firewall is perfectly safe", something is better than nothing. Just make sure you don't get lulled into a false sense of security and neglect to keep your software up-to-date and steer clear of fishy sites.

Thumbs up

Yes Zone Alarm looks really good

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/applic...201&lid=nav_ho

I went for the internet security suite trial which includes Firewall, Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, IM security and Website Filtering,Spam protection etc. It is priced at $70 per year.

Although the price is too much for us Indians, I think the price is really really reasonable for the amount of features it includes. In short, its a great product.

Thanks netscan
    - Yash Rungta