Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Live Streaming Server?

Hello.

I want to start a Server for live streaming over h264 flash. Should i use a deticated server or a VPS?

It all depends on how much traffic you intend on using, how many live stream video's your planning on running and the volume of visitors.

But I would recommend using a VPS at first, if the load tends to be high, you can always upgrade and migrate.

The flash media server do only duplicate every byte and send it to the clients, right? I think than the CPU power of a deticated is not needed, because no encoding.

The problem should be the traffic. on a 100 mbit line i think i can handle only 400 lients @ 320 kbits.

I will start with a VPS. Thanks for your answer.

vps's tend to share bandwidth as well as cpu, so you'd see a more stable streaming quality, especially with higher user loads, on a dedicated. But you can certainly go with a vps to start, especially if the provider is good.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Best to use dedicated .. that way you know what you have got and where it is going.

If your margins support that, sure. I could get dedicated bandwidth at FDC for about double the cost, but with the margin in my business that's not really feasible to double the cost of >4gbit of connectivity, especially since the streaming quality is good enough even with the shared bandwidth segment.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

I see the point to start with a vps but since I read your post I would say that you will not make a mistake if you pick a dedicated from the get go.

Vps! I use a vps for live streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by egon223 View Post
    The flash media server do only duplicate every byte and send it to the clients, right? I think than the CPU power of a deticated is not needed, because no encoding.

The problem should be the traffic. on a 100 mbit line i think i can handle only 400 lients @ 320 kbits.

I will start with a VPS. Thanks for your answer.
    Flash media server uses a lot of memory for cache. I've installed it on a 256 vps before but only for limited traffic. If you have a lot of traffic you'll need more like 2gig memory and fast drives. The limited disk i/o on a vps is another reason you'd consider a dedi.

On the software side, there's a free/open source RTMP server called Red5 (osflash.org/red5) that works great.

You'll want a dedicated box for this, and to cherry pick the hardware. My opinion (been there done that.)

Another item you'll want to mention here as we help you decide how to proceed is:
    Which software are you using?
    I have had a great experience with my enterprise clients using wowza media server. They were very helpful and the software's been great.
    E Solutions by WOW! Business
    Collocation, DR, VMWare Hosting in our Data Centers
    SSAE-16 Type II Certified with locations in Tampa, FL and Columbus, OH
    Call Now! 813-301-2600

There is really no big difference between a VM and a dedicated server, All depend on the server settings.

<<signatures to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by sirius; 08-31-2008 at 11:22 PM.

Dedicated would be the best since your going to have a wide range of castings

Need help...

Can some one guide me to configure and run a Live streaming server? We are a web hosting company now there is a requirement for a video streaming server. We can have a dedicated 4gb RAM 3ghz Dual Xenon server to configure a live video streaming server. Can some one help me to set up a live video streaming server?

Why don't try "shared flash server"? If you'll do enough research, you'll find some good ones. Otherwise just a licence is about $1000 for the cheapest one.
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

If we buy a shared flash server they will help us to setup the complete system to run a live TV? And the License you mentioned is for a complete new flash?

Yes, they will help you with setup.
    License required if you will get a dedicated services (as a one time fee or as a comonent in monthly payments). Prices are between $1000 - $5,000 (approximately) per 1 server.

We have dedicated server for web hosting do you have an idea what is the best server configuration for a live streaming server?

our server is,
    Pentium Xenon 3.0Ghz,
    4GB ram,
    350GB HDD,
    100mb shared band width.

Looks good except shared bandwidth

Quote Originally Posted by Anbarasan View Post
    We have dedicated server for web hosting do you have an idea what is the best server configuration for a live streaming server?

our server is,
    Pentium Xenon 3.0Ghz,
    4GB ram,
    350GB HDD,
    100mb shared band width.
    Shared bandwidth is almost unacceptable for live streaming. Exactly when you need - bandwidth may not be available and unlike we site when it is just slow - streaming just will not work.
    Regarding 350 HDD - if you keep important info on the drive, is it RAID-ed?

The server easily will be able to push 500Mb/s of live streaming - you have just to know what and how to do that.

No it is not RAID -ed. Normally how do we basically stream the video signal to the sever? Do we need to dedicate a computer with internet connection and capture the video signals through a capture card and upstream?

Have a look at streaming NSV through a shoutcast server, to get you started search for NSV tools through google.

These NSV tools may seem somewhat primitive at first but they will do the job quite well.
    Cast-Control
    --------------
    Shoutcast Control Panel - Standalone - Billing Features - GeoIP Features - Stream Authentication - MSN Control - Cluster - Reselling - Video Streaming
    Managed VPS Hosting

The thing is that shoutcast streaming is not processor or memory intensive, it just eats bandwidth.

If you can find a good deal on a VPS with enough bandwidth to support the amount of slots and kbps you want to stream, I'd recommend that.
    Mark A. Mutti, Los Angeles
    mark.mutti@phirefast.com / (818) 358-1161
    PhireFast: Drama-free Hosting, Awesome Support (Since 2004)

What you people think about Red 5 RTMP server?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast