Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How are some web hosts selling so cheap?

Hi.
    I have seen many web hosting companies selling for very cheap. I thought I was selling cheap but then I realised that there are others who are much much cheaper. Some of them selling 100 GB shared hosting for only $7 ? And me selling for like $30 And I still have a hard time maintaining a profit.
    So how are they doing this? I'm starting to get fed up of trying to cope
    Thanks.

Overselling, cutting all expenses, bad or no support, etc. That's one variation

What some of us do is work out what it costs us say it's a 6tb server and you want to sell 500gb/server, the cost is $200 so 200/500 = $0.40/GB then for 100GB it'd bed 100*.40 = $40.00 then see if you want to make staffing costs on top.

people are sometimes blindsided by the price such as 50GB for $7 will sell no matter how bad reviews are.

Quote Originally Posted by markrooney View Post
    Overselling, cutting all expenses, bad or no support, etc. That's one variation
    Doesn't mean everyone is overselling.

Yes I agree that 50 or 100 GB for $7 will sell no matter how bad reviews are. I'm starting to think of giving bad hosting with cheap prices. And maybe oversell like crazy with no support

Chances are those plans are being oversold, if you read there TOS, it will most likely say that file storage etc etc are not allowed...

If you are not overselling be proud of that fact, as i believe the overselling hosts will run in to a problem sooner or later.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll just stick to my current plans and see how things go.

Quote Originally Posted by sunoy14 View Post
    Hi.
    I have seen many web hosting companies selling for very cheap. I thought I was selling cheap but then I realised that there are others who are much much cheaper. Some of them selling 100 GB shared hosting for only $7 ? And me selling for like $30 And I still have a hard time maintaining a profit.
    So how are they doing this? I'm starting to get fed up of trying to cope
    Thanks.
    Stick to your business plan and don't go under just to compete with others.

We've been doing business since 2001 and I've seen many hosts ( super cheap hosts ) that come and go :-) . We are still here but those super cheap hosts since 2001 are no longer here :-)

It is because they are selling like noodles :-)

Nice to hear some encouraging experiences from someone who has been on the same track. Thanks

If you think your pricing is making a profit, keep it. They over-sell and only last for a few months.

Do not fall for that trap.

- Daniel

Some of us sell web hosting in addition to other services so we can afford to sell hosting for pennies since all of the infrastructure is already paid for by other services.

"If you think your pricing is making a profit, keep it. They over-sell and only last for a few months.

Do not fall for that trap.

- Daniel "
    Thanks for the pointers. Will keep those in mind.

"Some of us sell web hosting in addition to other services so we can afford to sell hosting for pennies since all of the infrastructure is already paid for by other services."
    It could be done that way since other expenses like marketing, etc are already covered. But I see hosts that are not selling other stuffs. They have to be overselling unless they got some very great deals.

But I see hosts that are not selling other stuffs. They have to be overselling unless they got some very great deals.
    When I was in college a few years ago I had a few classmates that sold $1/month hosting off of $10/month reseller plans and were pulling in hundreds of dollars a month and they had no knowledge of hosting aside from how to cash out their Paypal accounts every night. These days it's even easier and cheaper to run a hosting company so you can't compare yourself to other providers because odds are that no other provider is exactly like you so take what is unique about you and stand out from the rest.

If it makes you feel any better, we used to sell web hosting for $1/month but we kept raising the prices to slow down the amount of orders we got so we didn't have to keep building new servers every other month. I'd take 1 $10/month order over 10 $1/month orders any day.

I know how! Kids living with their parents, under legal age, overselling and abusing customers, exposing customers data, and probably not paying employees what they have to, much less filling taxes. If you know what I mean...

Shame we have a few here.

So how are they doing this?
    Overselling with the hope that the customer will never use the space.

Also many industries operate as such. Printing for instance. Print one sheet of a specific type of paper and it's anyway between a dollar or more a copy. Print 5000 sheets and you're looking at 2 to 5 cents a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by HRR1963 View Post
    I know how! Kids living with their parents, under legal age, overselling and abusing customers, exposing customers data, and probably not paying employees what they have to, much less filling taxes. If you know what I mean...

Shame we have a few here.

Hmm. I don't think I've come across any host like this. Could you elaborate on this company some more.

***I'm joking. We don't want to turn this into another circus***

Some hosts are sucessfull while others arent. Its mass selling in other words. Think of it like this they try to pack all servers with clients / sites they dont reinvest any of that money they make to make the server better instead they add more servers or resellers to their network and tepeat steps. In the end of the day the person who signs up with them gets the short end of the stick bevause the service isnt good at all because these days most times you get what you pay for.

They are making money on money on volume, not by offering quality service that attracts users seeking a premium experience.

Thanks everybody for the input.
    I have seen namecheap selling for extra extra cheap. If I were to compete with them, I would definitely have to bear losses. What about them? I think they are a big company. And how do we compete with them?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by SSD-Greg View Post
    Some hosts are sucessfull while others arent. Its mass selling in other words. Think of it like this they try to pack all servers with clients / sites they dont reinvest any of that money they make to make the server better instead they add more servers or resellers to their network and tepeat steps. In the end of the day the person who signs up with them gets the short end of the stick bevause the service isnt good at all because these days most times you get what you pay for.
    Hmmm. I too was thinking it could be something like that. Buy a server, pack it up with clients, make the prices low, forget about it and after the breakeven, earn residual income.
    That must be the reason for such cheap prices. So we have no ways to compete their prices?

Quote Originally Posted by babypurin View Post
    They are making money on money on volume, not by offering quality service that attracts users seeking a premium experience.
    Volume doesn't necessarily mean non-quality service.

Selling on high volume with low prices incurs more expense for support, etc.

Example, if you sell to 100 people for $1, you get $100.
    And if you sell too 10 people for $10, you get $100.

Now, you can actually provide better support to 10 people rather than 100 people with the same amount of money.

So how does volume = quality? I don't get it.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Futuron-Peter View Post
    Volume doesn't necessarily mean non-quality service.
    The majority of the time, volume and quality does not work.

Selling on high volume with low prices incurs more expense for support, etc.

Example, if you sell to 100 people for $1, you get $100.
    And if you sell too 10 people for $10, you get $100.

Now, you can actually provide better support to 10 people rather than 100 people with the same amount of money.

So how does volume = quality? I don't get it.

Correct me if I am wrong.
    It doesn't.

Also look at it this way...why would all 10 or all 100 people need support?

The only time all the customers would need support;

1. when they first sign up
    2. hardware failure
    3. network failure
    4. the service sucks

With the right setup, there's almost no reason for customers to need support..or need it all at once. One a day or steady flow.

It's true that 100 customers should need more support than 10.
    But paying higher price for hosting doesn't ensure quality service.

It all depends on how the company handles customers and cares about them.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    The majority of the time, volume and quality does not work.

It doesn't.

Also look at it this way...why would all 10 or all 100 people need support?

The only time all the customers would need support;

1. when they first sign up
    2. hardware failure
    3. network failure
    4. the service sucks

With the right setup, there's almost no reason for customers to need support..or need it all at once. One a day or steady flow.
    Yes you are right that not all of the customers will come for support at once. But still the number of people will be higher. Say 10% of the customers will actually come for support on a day. So 10% of 100 is still more than 10% of 10 people.
    So what I am trying to say is the support expense still applies.

Quote Originally Posted by Futuron-Peter View Post
    It's true that 100 customers should need more support than 10.
    But paying higher price for hosting doesn't ensure quality service.

It all depends on how the company handles customers and cares about them.
    Thats true and I completely agree with you that paying higher does not necessarily equate to better service and that it depends on the company.

I'm saying these if a company wants to provide quality service.

Yes you are right that not all of the customers will come for support at once. But still the number of people will be higher. Say 10% of the customers will actually come for support on a day. So 10% of 100 is still more than 10% of 10 people.
    So what I am trying to say is the support expense still applies.
    But then what type of support are we talking about? What type of customers are they?

You could have 3000 people that never open a ticket. Site is up and email is working. That's all they need. If most of the customers are resellers...they tend to need more support.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast