home server questions

ok so im a total noob with server configurations. so of course i decided to host a site on my pc...i have a 3.6ghz 1gig ram 120hdd so plenty of power...but im running windowsxp pro...can i run a server from this ort will i need windows 2003 or linux? sorry if the question is too stupid... i know i will need apache, mysql, php, mailman(linux only??) also my port 25 is blocked from my isp

thanks in advance

Yes, you can (if your ISP allows) host a site from a home server based around Windows XP. Why you would want to I'm not sure though. The performance is unlikely to be that good once more than one or two people are viewing the site. Do you have a static IP on your connection? Are you really able to leave one computer on 24/7? What happens when there is a power cut? So many things can go wrong that you might as well just spend $5 a month getting it done professionally. And if your site really needs a whole server to itself look at advertising to pay for a proper server. In the long term you will be much better off.
    Steve

itll just be a few hundred people at a time...so should i do linux or win 2003?
    i have static on one computer and dynamic on another...two different computers will be hosting seperate sites...

Arshem,

The upload speed of your connection at home is going to be the download speed for your users. Considering most (not all) home Internet connections have very low upload speeds I doubt that your visitors will be very happy and come back to a slow loading site. Unless you have a business account with your ISP I doubt that you have a fast upload speed. I would take the suggestion from the previous posters to have your site professionally hosted. Particularly when you consider the field day the hackers may have with your server if you are not familiar with hardening your server. Pay your $5-$10 and not have to worry about it. JMHO

I've tried shared hosting, but they all kick me off for using too many resources...
    I don't have the money for dedicated and my upload speed is 1.5mb/s( i do have a business account with my isp )

You can give it a try, You have nothing to loose. Just download Apache, PHP, mysql, All of these softwares are available for widnows. And are easy to install on windows XP. Every software have the basic documentation included.

Just because you have a business account doesnt mean they wont boot you for the same reason as a shared host - using too many resources. What do you actually manage to use bandwidth and storage wise?

Matt
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Used to be a full time server administrator, now I help build cruise ships and inspect homes.
    My company, Ferrell Solutions, specializes in home inspections and property management.
    RecallScan is a service for monitoring appliances and vehicles in your home for recalls.

Quote Originally Posted by hg-matt
    Just because you have a business account doesnt mean they wont boot you for the same reason as a shared host - using too many resources. What do you actually manage to use bandwidth and storage wise?
    too many resources meaning high cpu usage and memory usage i only use about 200mb of storage and 500-700 gb bandwidth a month

Arshem,
    500-700GB is way beyond a 1.5mbps line, in fact that is over doube the bandwidth you have in upload, if that is what you have in upload. You should consider just getting a reseller package somewhere, or shared hosting somewhere. Possibly a VPS or dedicated server. I wouldnt recommend a dedicated server that is not managed, though. You dont have the knowledge of linux or windows server administration just yet. If you want to learn linux or windows server administration, I will be glad to help you over AIM or something. But just because you get help, doesnt mean you are capable of managing a server, keeping it up-to-date, and keeping it secure.

Matt
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Used to be a full time server administrator, now I help build cruise ships and inspect homes.
    My company, Ferrell Solutions, specializes in home inspections and property management.
    RecallScan is a service for monitoring appliances and vehicles in your home for recalls.

Having a site that uses 500-700 gb bandwidth a month hosted on a home server is never gonna happen, I personally suggest a dedicated server, as from what your saying you use alot of cpu etc. If you don't have money to get a managed dedicated (about $150/monthly) then you need to find a way of getting that money, otherwise you will just keep going from shared host to host, any host that gives you 700gb bw on a shared package is overselling.Also it would be unlikely a good host would give you that on a Reseller as well. A dedicated is the way to go.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

If you are using that much bandwidth and aren't making any money from the site, I would reconsider your business plan.

If this is a hobby site that you are doing for fun and non-profit, then I would get a job if I were you (or some means of making money in the real world).
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

lol i have a real job, but i also have a kid, bills, mortgage

Okay now configuring apache..lol that's kinda hard to do eh? I was using server2go(from server2go-web.de) and it was working fine, but wouldn't let me customize much without paying for it. So i am trying to do this my way lol, its not working to well