Banging My Head Against A Wall

Hi, I have a new VPS with Jaguarpc..

I am running a smallish, single web site using about 2gb per day in bandwidth. Other resource use is negligible.

Anyway, the site runs a handfull of processes yet Im forever getting "Internal Server Errors" because im exceeding the number of processes allowed.. My limit is 500 'numprocs' and the site is forever near to this amount. But, like I say, my site only uses maybe a dozen processes.

So why is this so guys..?? Can you help me..

Just a fyi, previously the site was on a much lesser shared host account and never once had any problems. I moved the site to actually get more space but its had the opposite effect.

And I cant keep sending messages to their support ........

Quote Originally Posted by drinkingteddy
    Come again..??

I have a VPS now..

And like I said, I have just one small website running on the VPS.. I should upgrade??
    Depends on the website. A large forum could need multiple dedicated servers in a cluster. That's the extreme but it's possible you need a better vps or full blown dedicated server to serve your website.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Come again..??

I have a VPS now..

And like I said, I have just one small website running on the VPS.. I should upgrade??
    Perhap, your site is really taking up alot of resources though you mention it is a "small site". I suggest check your scripts and see what you can do to improve it.
    Last resort is get a dedicated server for yourself.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

And I cant keep sending messages to their support ........
    If they aren't answering your tickets, maybe you should move on? Only they can help you and this isn't their support forum.

Are you running PHP is SuEXEC mode as this could be putting up the limit? Also what does ps -ef show when near the limit?
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

VPS' tend to be a step down from shared IMO.

Personally, i would just go to dediced if you had the money, I mean that provides room to grow and then you have a whole entire machine to yourself. Good Luck with this issue but thats about all the help I can provide
    DJ Anderson
    Need Hosting?
    www.techwebhosting.com

I'm on Jag with a VPS and run a forum with about 3500 members, but don't have any problems (I have to say I do run Vbulletin which is far less resource hungry than some "free" software.)

I also have never had a problem asking support for help, they are more than happy to give me any help I have asked for, IF you feel guilty asking for help because its not something they normally provide support for, why not prioritise it as low, so when they are not busy they can answer you? (My support times are still so fast I find it hard to believe)

Honestly, I am sure they would rather help you find a solution than see you go elsewhere, and the only way to get a problem sorted is to ask them.

Have you asked in the JaguarPC forums (There seem to be some VERY clever people there, I know I feel inadequate reading some of their posts) and if you dont get an answer Massood (tech guy) or even Jag himself allways seem to get involved in really awkward problems, and take it as a challenge to find a solution.

best wishes, I hope you get your problem solved

Yeah, im sure im getting the right info..

However, im sceptical to be told that a single (at best medium sized) web site that generates about:

25,000 page views a day
    3,000 uniques a day
    1gb bandwidth a day

Requires a dedicated server.....??

Can anyone tell me what they would do and where they would go in the same circumstances???

Thx

Well, I had a forum running on VPS from Godaddy with 512 MB assured RAM. My site was okay till I had around 5-6 Gb daily bandwidth and then started to slow down. I waited till 7-8 GB bandwidth per day and moved to a Dedicated server.

I would reommend you to :
    1. Check the processes, ps -aux, if you know Linux and see whats going on there.
    2. If possible, upgrade your VPS plan. I was lucky that godaddy allowed to upgrade practically every aspect, RAM, DISK etc. at any point.
    3. If nothing works, move to a better host. I dont think you need a dedicated for your site. Something that would allow you to configure and upgrade your plans.
    Hosting Coupons: MediaTemple Recurring Discount, HostNine Offers and more..

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    If they aren't answering your tickets, maybe you should move on? Only they can help you and this isn't their support forum.
    Just so everyone knows - we have been answering and helping via tickets. This is just a case of custom software/programming that needs to be optimized for vps usage. We are working with him to get things resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Cecilia
    Just so everyone knows - we have been answering and helping via tickets. This is just a case of custom software/programming that needs to be optimized for vps usage. We are working with him to get things resolved.

This is true...

Now I have found the guys there that really know there onions with a complicated (yet resolvable) issue... I m confident things are moving forward..

looks like its some other issue, possibly your directory permissions or problems in .htaccess/ php.ini.

My vps does probably 9gb/day, has multiple enormous forums running, my numproc is at 104/500, also jagpc.

doubt it has anything to do with resource usage, just a misconfiguration somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff - Exceed
    VPS' tend to be a step down from shared IMO.
    lol thats a good one! most people who say this have no experience with a VPS, or lack unix skills to make the most out of a solid VPS, or just have a really really bad vps provider...

for the price, a vps beats reseller and shared (which is bottom of the web hosting scale) hands down.

Yeah, im sure im getting the right info..

However, im sceptical to be told that a single (at best medium sized) web site that generates about:

25,000 page views a day
    3,000 uniques a day
    1gb bandwidth a day

Requires a dedicated server.....??

Can anyone tell me what they would do and where they would go in the same circumstances???

Thx
    Not at all. My forum site with more than double of your stats and 6x your bandwidth is hosted on a low RAM VPS account.

Quote Originally Posted by chamelion
    lol thats a good one! most people who say this have no experience with a VPS, or lack unix skills to make the most out of a solid VPS, or just have a really really bad vps provider...
    I think the latter is probably true, perhaps about the same as experience (or lack thereof). There is another thread on the forums right now where someone is stating their VDS can't handle 20 - 60 users browsing their forums very well and want to move to shared hosting. If the software being used isn't causing excessive, unnecessary resource consumption, and if the host nodes are well administered, there's no reason why a VDS running on powerful hardware with lots of resources shouldn't be able to handle quite a bit of traffic very well, given the host node doesn't have numerous resource hungry users sharing it and that the correct templates were applied. A VDS can be very powerful, or very weak, given a number of factors ranging anywhere from the applications run, to the hardware used, to the maintenance of the host node itself.

Quote Originally Posted by chamelion
    looks like its some other issue, possibly your directory permissions or problems in .htaccess/ php.ini.

My vps does probably 9gb/day, has multiple enormous forums running, my numproc is at 104/500, also jagpc.

doubt it has anything to do with resource usage, just a misconfiguration somewhere.
    I think you are right..

The site is a mini site provider for domain owners and part of the site configuration is the auto creation of sub pages through user keywords and overture suggestions (for SEO optimisation - which seems to work)..

However, I think the indexing and other nasty bots are getting trapped on the site, so first up, weve written into the site a maximum request tool (10 requests per 10 seconds) and then temporarily banned for 60 seconds...

See how it goes i guess....