Question Looking for advice on a VPS - and some DNS questions

I'm currently planning to move from a reseller account in New Zealand (I am paying $30/month) to a VPS hosted in the US. I'm hosting the web sites I develop, but they are not high traffic and I am not rapidly expanding the number of web sites that I host (currently 5, expanding to 8 over the next month).

The big question I've been trying to research is if it's worth getting a paid DNS service. I've been looking at Zonomi so far (they are reasonably priced and have New Zealand based servers, too) but I would like to know if it would be better to just go with the DNS of my VPS host.
    Most of my clients use Google Apps for their email, and it is far more business critical for the email to stay up than the website. Another reason I have been considering third party DNS is that I may be hosting a few accounts with different providers, so having DNS configuration in one place would be a good thing.
    If you would recommend a third party DNS for my situation, are there any you would recommend?

For my VPS, I am currently looking at Linode, since their smallest plan well exceeds my requirements - 48GB HDD and 2TB transfer, compared to the 2GB HDD and 6GB transfer I'm currently running.
    The two main factors I have are reliability and location (California is pretty essential for speed) and I'd like to hear any host recommendations that people have.

Thanks for reading, and double thanks for any advice that you can give.

Depends on your budget and technical ability. You can always get free slave DNS hosting at he.net. Your primary server can be on the VPS itself.

For business sites & mail I'd recommend you use third-party, professional DNS service. You don't want DNS to be reliant on your VPS.

As an example, DNSMadeEasy offers a small business plan for 10 domains for $30/year. Shop around and you'll find other such services. For business hosting it's a very worthwhile investment.

Thank you, that was my thought as well.

I tried Zonomi, but was put off by their management interface. On a whim I tried out CloudFlare, and they seem to offer a nice DNS alternative along with a bunch of extras (attack filters, optimisation, etc) on their free plan.
    Can't really beat free, so I am going to be using them on some low-priority sites while I try out a VPS provider.