Threaded View

Hosting & Servers for Social networking website?

So we are almost ready to launch a beta version of a social network site we are developing and are looking into Hosting and Hardware. The developers told us we need a dedicated environment with full root access.

Site will have user profiles, messaging (email accounts), chat, live notifications, real time updates, video/photo sharing, etc. Next phases will have API implementation for 3rd party games/apps also. There could be 10 users, a thousand a million or even 10 million, so number of users is unpredictable. Site will be targeted towards global audiences because it's about local city networking so I do expect a lot of users and fast.

Development environment is using MySQL / Linux / Php. Currently there are only two databases. Still need to research into staging environments and implementing backup solutions but I am not sure what and how much resources I will require.

This is self funded, not investment runned so I can't go with the best of the best. Price is very important but so it having a solid hosting provider and solid hardware plan.

Price I can spend is cheaper the better, but under 500 a month (with everything included, - support/hardware/software, etc) until some investments come in to finance this.
    Suggestions?
    Last edited by matty090; 07-05-2010 at 10:53 PM.